Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 07-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #51
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm surprised anyone's joints can handle that program.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #52
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,128, Level: 77 Points: 14,128, Level: 77 Points: 14,128, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I'm surprised anyone's joints can handle that program.
After reading lots of reviews I think that most people who successfully complete Smolov don't move as much weight in the first place, so they can handle higher percentages for more volume. I don't exactly move mountains myself, but the numbers were just too high. I already feel a lot better, even though I still squatted. I just had to change my movement pattern.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #53
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Got some upper body training in today.

Overhead press with fat gripz-
45x20
65x15
80x12
95x12
95x12
95x12
95x12
95x12

Single arm landmine row-
bar x 20
35x15
50x12
50x8
50x8

Reverse crunches/leg lifts on a bench-
5 sets of 12 reps

Training upper body is hard these days. I feel weak and fat. I got pretty good at benching, but every other upper body movement is hard. Someone who has benched 345lb shouldn't have to stay under 100lb for overhead pressing. I feel like I'm going backwards, and my shoulder still hurts if I try to push myself at all.

But I'm going to keep working at it. I need to prepare myself for my return to benching.

Last edited by Soldier; 07-05-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #54
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Awesome workout today! I got my first chance to work through one of the sessions I designed for my new program, and it went very, very well.

First I'll write out the program, then I'll write out what I did;
Squat-
80% for 5 total reps
65% for 10 total reps
50% for 20 total reps

The total reps can be split into as many sets as possible, as long as the reps are completed.

Leg curls-
7-10% for 50 total reps

Leg extensions
10% for 50 total reps

Squat-
45x3
45x3
135x3
225x3
Add wraps and belt-
275x3
315x2
345(80%)x3
345x2
285(65%)x10
Remove wraps and belt-
215(50%)x5
215x5
215x5
215x5

Leg curls (supersetted with leg extensions)-
25x25
25x15
25x10

Leg extensions-
45x25
45x15
45x10

This workout felt great. I'm learning a ton from all these different programs I've been trying out lately. I'm learning that repeating the same movement over and over again with high frequency and heavy weights absolutely destroys joints. I'm fixing that problem by using variations. In my program I'll only back squat once a week, even during the squat focused mesocycle. There will be front squats, good mornings, box squats, back squats, and lots of high rep leg extensions and leg curls to strengthen the muscles without wearing out the joints.

I'm crazy excited about this program. Hell, if I had any sort of cred in the lifting world I'd put out a damn ebook!

Of course, I don't. Yet. But I'm still going to try to think of a cool name for it. Let's see...juggernaut's been taken. "Big"s been taken. Maybe something cool like leviathan? I feel like I'm naming a metal band.

Anyways, I've only beta tested 1 workout. I'll have to do a lot of tweaking and shifting numbers around as I go through the program before I really have something worth talking about.

I have 3 more squat sessions over the course of next week, then I'll take a few days off and max out, hopefully setting a new PR on raw squat, then I'll break from the program because I want to lose more weight and I don't feel comfortable benching heavy yet. I need to do more higher rep work before I'll be ready to go any kind of heavy again.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #55
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

The leg assault continues. For this session I went to a gym on post to train with a couple guys from my platoon. They wanted to learn about deadlifting because one of them has a bad back and knows that it's important to get strong.

Here's what I did;

Front squat-
45x8
45x8
95x5
135x8
135x10
135x7
175x5
175x5

Deadlift-
135x3
225x3
315x3
405x2
455x2 PR

Leg extensions-
40x25
65x15
65x15

I had planned to do leg curls as well, but being at a popular gym right after work has many, many downsides. One being that it's impossible to do a superset with 2 different machines.

As I wrote in my other thread, I'm going to be trying out for and probably joining the Ft Hood powerlifting team. I'm going in Monday to see what the deal is and the coach already knows I'm strong, but he has absolutely no clue that I already own and am fully capable with a full set of single ply gear. He also doesn't know that I'm coming off a shoulder strain and haven't benched more than 185 in over 2 months.

Whatever, I'm open to new opportunities, but I'm very dissapointed that I won't be able to start using the new program I worked so hard developing. I'm going to buy into whatever the coach wants me to do, but in the name of learning I'm also going to question pretty much every word that comes out of his mouth. I hope he's ready for that. I've always believed that if you believe in something really strongly then you better be able to stand up to it when someone questions you. If you can't, then what you believe is worthless.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #56
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 136,782, Level: 100 Points: 136,782, Level: 100 Points: 136,782, Level: 100
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

That's a hefty deadlift PR, and you had done front squats before.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #57
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Sorry I haven't been posting much. I didn't train this weekend, and my home computer is messed up once again. Malware is getting ratarded these days.

Yesterday I trained with the Ft Hood powerlifting team for the first time. It was a small group because most of the members competed this past weekend. We did some benching, and it was the first time since my shoulder injury that I did any sort of heavy pressing. It actually felt really good, because I didn't have to do my own lift-offs. That made a huge difference, and I'm looking forward to taking advantage of it and building my bench back up to new heights.

Bench press-
45x a bunch
95x8
135x8
225x6

add slingshot-
275x3
315x2
315x3

Dumbell overhead press-
30x16
45x10
45x10

Machine pulldown/row-
70x15
140x10
140x10

It looks like these guys go high intensity but very low volume and frequency. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the way they train. They wait longer periods between sets and spend lots of time sitting around talking (on purpose, to simulate a meet), and the whole vibe is way more laid back than I'm used to. I'm used to cranking up the music and pushing myself to the limit with lots of volume.

For now I'm going to train the way they train. I can add in extra sessions later on if I want to. For bench this was what I needed. Just a little heavy stuff with the slingshot to support me to get my body back into heavy upper body lifting.

I hate the USAPL. I've heard a lot of hate from these guys for anyone who isn't USAPL, because the USAPL is so strict about everything which evidently means everyone in the USAPL is better than everyone else. Bullshit. Flat footed benching, no hard arching, and you have to keep your head on the bench the whole time, even with a shirt on. That is NOT going to be easy. But I'm looking forward to learning from people who have real competition experience, and these guys have it in droves.

The head coach has tons of records, and the assistant coach only competes at the world level. I've never seen a woman bench that much in person, and it was awesome to see.

Today is squats. HELL YES. I'm going to suit up for the first time in a couple months and see what I can do after pounding my legs 3-4 times a week for the last month. I'm going to go heavy and see if I can set a PR for either a single, double, or triple.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #58
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Smash squats. Hope this team pays off for you man.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #59
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

I hope so too. I'm still on the fence, to be honest, but I'm going to stick around for now just to learn from people who have real competition experience. I really dislike the USAPL, and it's not where I want to stay for long. Once I have some experience under my belt I'm sure I'll want to move on, especially to an untested fed so I can go back on.

All I've really learned so far as far as technique is concerned is that I was already pretty much right on, which is something I already knew. The only real changes they've made in my technique have to do with conforming with the retarded USAPL rules. I had to bring my hands in on the squat because I'm not allowed to touch the collars. I also have to get new knee wraps because, of course, the USAPL just had to not allow the 2.5 meter wraps that EVERYONE ELSE allows.

I've also continued to be annoyed with all the crap the people who are there are talking about other members of the team that aren't there. How is that creating a positive environment? If you're really, honestly close to your friends then you'll call them out to their face when they mess up. THAT'S the way it should be.

I found out about the split they use. Monday is heavy bench, Tuesday is squats, Thursday is "light bench" (which I guess means speed bench), and Friday is deadlift. I'll probably throw in another squat session on the weekends.

Here's how my first squat day worked out. I jumped around a little in weight because I was getting used to a completely new grip.

Squat-
45x5
45x5
135x3
185x2
225x2
add belt and wraps-
275x3
315x2
add suit and belt, no wraps, straps down-
365x2 (this is the point where they told me that I had to bring my hands in. I had done my warm up before anyone came)
225x3
315x3
add wraps
365x2
405x2
Straps up, full gear-
455x1

I struggled with the 455, which sucks because it's 100lb under my former PR in full gear. I don't like bringing my hands in. The kept telling me how it'll keep my back tighter and how I can thrust my elbows forwards if I stall, but I was already doing all of that with my old grip, and the weight feels a hell of a lot heavier since it's sitting on a much smaller portion of my back.

I also attempted to bring my feet a little closer together than my former super wide stance. I need to mess with it more to see what allows me to get the most out of my suit.

Front squat (supersetted with wide stance GM's)-
135x6
135x8
135x8

Wide stance GM's-
135x6
135x8
138x8

Explosive leg press-
1ppsx10
2ppsx10
2ppsx12

I pushed the platform completely off of my feet when I did leg press. These felt good, and having access to equipment like the leg press and dumbells is a MASSIVE benefit of being back in a real gym.

This session took over 2 1/2 hours to complete because of the way they weight so long between sets. I understand that this is what will happen in a meet, but I'm not entirely convinced that it's better to train that way. Time will tell.

I'm really, really sore. Shoulders and knees are aching, which hopefully indicates that I've been getting some good training in. Again, time will tell.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #60
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

First deadlift day with the team today. I've still only met 4 people from the team, which is kind of weird, and I'm by far the strongest member, although also the largest. Again I'm torn. I'm training with people who have tons of competing experience, but none of the active lifters are as big or strong as me, and I really would like to train with someone who can move more weight.

I mean, the head coach has certainly moved more than me in the past, including a squat that's more than 200lb more than I've ever moved, but I sure do wish I could lift with some real beasts instead of some people who are only strong for their size. It's not very motivating when I'm the only one moving any kind of real weight.

But I did set a new raw 1rm for deadlift today, and it felt awesome.

These guys do deads differently. I ALWAYS reset between reps, because the whole point is to get better at deadlifting a single time, and I want to build starting strength. But the coach likes us to do multiple reps without reseting. For now I'm doing what I'm told. I'm trying my best to buy in to everything this coach says, and I'm going to give it my all while I'm with them. I think it'll be good for me in the end.

Deadlift-
135x10
135x5
225x5
315x4
365x2
405x2
455x2
505x1 (PR)

After deads I did machine rows and wide grip pullups, probably 4 or 5 sets of each. I definitely hit my back and biceps hard today, and I think that all of my lifts will benefit from my ability to do far better assistance work in the gym.

I believe that my deadlift benefited quite a bit from the higher volume squating I've been doing lately. For now I'm going to deadlift every week with the goal of improving my form, but I may start moving into deadlifting only once every 2 weeks, since I believe that squating more will benefit both my deadlift and squat, where as the opposite may not necesarily be true.

Share with Facebook