Max Brawn
Points: 13,587, Level: 75 Points: 13,587, Level: 75 Points: 13,587, Level: 75
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Wow, you are a glutton for punishment. Are you going to ditch the belt as well for the rest of the cycle? I reckon a totally raw Smolov cycle would be murder...but be an incredible core and lower back strengthener.
No crutches for training. I'll use the crutches when it comes time for that 500 squat. No wraps, no belt.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #42
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Sunday. In the base cycle of Smolov the last day of the week is not only the hardest, but I also have to do it without a day of rest beforehand. I did 35 reps of work yesterday. Here's what I did today;

Squats, no wraps, no belt-
45x5
45x5
135x3
225x3
265x2
295x3
295x3
295x3
295x3
295x3
295x3
295x3
295x3
295x3
295x3

Doing a workout like this feels like going on a journey. At the beginning you're still fresh but the weights feel heavy and you aren't sure how you're going to get through all 10 sets. Then after a few sets you get into a groove and the weights actually feel lighter, easier to move. But when you get to set 7 and 8 the groove doesn't seem to help anymore and the weights just seem heavier and heavier, but you can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Whatever...I made it through and now I'm going to eat a couple steak and cheese sandwiches and try to recover during my rest day tomorrow.

The first week of the Smolov base cycle is over. 2 more weeks of hell and I'll get to establish a new max which will hopefully be a new raw PR, then cut a little more fat. I'll cut until I reach the 220's, during which I'll be doing primarily speed training for my lower body. After that I'll reassess and figure out what my next move is.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #43
ndrwdslv
ndrwdslv
chasing 405 DL
Max Brawn
Points: 3,720, Level: 38 Points: 3,720, Level: 38 Points: 3,720, Level: 38
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Sumo DL
Fav Supp: Lactose-free Milk
ndrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machine

Pretty cool to read another guy doing the Smolov.. Ben Rice on YouTube kind of talks about how he feels when doing it.. sounds similar, it's a journey each session, gotta talk to yourself and not break mentally.. remind yourself why you're doing all that hard work. It sucks, but that's when you know it works lol
ndrwdslv is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #44
dzarello
dzarello
5/3/1
Italian Proud
Max Brawn
Points: 6,154, Level: 51 Points: 6,154, Level: 51 Points: 6,154, Level: 51
Activity: 92% Activity: 92% Activity: 92%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Squats/Deads
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Lurking
dzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master member

I am along for the ride. I gotta see how this story ends. I have been contemplating Smolov for awhile. Good luck to ya! Can't wait to see your 500 PR!

I just want a place where I can be left alone to get strong and work off some aggression.
-Dave Tate-

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-

dzarello is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #45
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My legs got DOMS just reading that.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #46
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My legs got DOMS just reading that.
Every time I stand up there is a marked tightness in my glutes and upper hamstrings, and my knees are extremely sore, but my body is holding up surprisingly well other than that. No real muscle soreness in my quads at all, which I think says more about my technique than anything.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #47
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

I'm going to have to shift some things around this week. I have "CQ" duty this Sunday which entails a 24 hour shift of sitting around the barracks. I have to stay up the whole 24 hours, then I get Monday off for recovery. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to get every session in, but I'll do what I can.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #48
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Today was tough. I did sets of 9, but they were each more like 3 sets of 3 without racking the bar in between. I thought today would be easier because of the number of sets, but it wasn't. Every day on this program really is harder than the last.

Squats, no wraps, no belt-
45x3
45x3
135x3
185x3
225x3
260x9
260x9
260x9
260x9

I keep planning to do at least a little upper body work after my squats, but it's time to officially give up on that. I'll try to do a bunch of pushups and other similar things throughout the day to keep my upper body conditioned without hindering my squat sessions.

I'm getting into survival mode. Each session is about getting through it and not missing a rep, which means there will be a lot of sitting around, waiting for myself to recover between sets. It was easier to wait around when I had to fiddle with my wraps between every set. Now I just have to sit there and try to relax, which is tough when you know another hard set is coming, followed by another, and another...

Time for steak and bakes potatoes now, then a good night of rest.

I'm thinking of trying to develop a program based on everything I've learned. It would be based on hitting one of the big three lifts really hard with lots of volume, while using low volume and high intensity to maintain the other 2 lifts. I'm not sure if it'll lead to anything, and I'm notorious for never sticking to a plan that lasts more than a week, but at least in theory it would work very well and keep things interesting because of the constantly shifting focus. I'm going to do a little writing and see what I can come up with.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #49
linedriver465
linedriver465
Work, Eat, Train, Sleep, Rinse, Repeat
Max Brawn
Points: 5,638, Level: 48 Points: 5,638, Level: 48 Points: 5,638, Level: 48
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Volume
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Caffeine
My Mood: Inspired
linedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beast

Great squatting! Way to crush it.
linedriver465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #50
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Well, Smolov got the best of me. Maybe I'm a little too old, or a little too fat, I don't know, but my joints just couldn't take that volume of heavy lifting. Today my knees and hips just ached so much, the thought of doing full raw squats made me want to cry. The annoying thing is that my muscles aren't sore at all.

I'm changing things up. I've developed a new program that I'm pretty excited about. It's a big change for me because it's a long term program, taking 16 weeks to get all the way through the whole cycle. It's made up of 4 mesocycles, 1 for bench, 1 for deadlift/front squats, another for bench and finishing up with squats. I'm not going to get into it too much here, but I'm going to start fading into this program and doing some beta testing on the individual workouts I've designed in the next couple weeks. I'm going to keep wailing on my legs to try and reach the point of overreaching, just like I would have with Smolov. The difference is that I'll be using more variations instead of just standard back squats. This should take the pressure off my hips and knees. Here's what I did today. This is not a workout from my program, but rather an attempt to work my quads and lower body hard without putting so much strain on my tired hips.

Box squats-
45x5
135x5
225x5
275x5
275x5
275x5
275x5

Raw squat-
225x5

Leg extensions, supersetted with fron squats-
35x25
70x20
70x15

Front squats-
135x5
135x12

I feel like I was successful in hitting my muscles but backing off on my joints. I'll train my legs again this weekend in a similar fashion, then hopefully my knees and hips will feel better and I can do some more normal squatting next week to finish up my squat focused mesocycle.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook