Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
Bill
Bill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Drag Race Speed Champion!
My Mood: Angry
Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

You are 16, he is 32. He was likely 10lbs heavier than you at 16.

Work hard in the gym/park/pool/rink, whatever it is you do, then work hard in the kitchen.

You will get where you want to be.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Big interview: David Haye | Sport | The Observer

He talks about his starvation mode pre-fight:

Quote:
If you ever need a good steak, Stringfellows is the place to go in London,' says David Haye earnestly, briefly diverting his thoughts from his monastical pre-fight regime of sweat, sleep and slow starvation.
He also talks about coming into camp sloppy as heck. He EATS during the off-season, make no bones about it.

How he eats during camp is only to get him down to his class so he stays within contract.

Quote:
This time round, Haye entered camp 17lb over the cruiserweight limit and admits this forced weight loss does not get any easier. 'There are no short cuts,' he says. 'Just hard work and dedication. Hard work and dedication.' It sounds like a pained mantra, and when he talks specifics you understand why: six small meals a day, each no bigger than his outstretched hand, made up of lean proteins, vegetables and salads. And pretty much nothing else. 'I love chocolate,' he says, 'and after a fight I can eat a kilo's worth of Galaxy in one go, no problem, but you have to wean yourself off it.' Along with bread, alcohol and all saturated fats.

Haye, who says he has stuck to the diet religiously, insists those hunger pangs will be worth it come next weekend. 'Training's going really well,' he says at his camp in the swampy humidity of south Florida. 'I'm healthy, my weight is real good, my timing's perfect. My power and strength are as good as they possibly can be. I'm spot on.' To prove his point, Haye says he recently set a personal record for the bench-press of 179kg , almost twice his body weight.

But Haye, who is 27, says he will be far stronger when he moves up to heavyweight after beating Maccarinelli. 'My plan is to not box past 30,' he adds. 'That gives me three years to become heavyweight champion of the world. I'm not going to cut any corners, I'm not going to fight any bums, I'm just going to get straight out there and clean up that division. Since Lennox Lewis retired there's been no flagship heavyweight running the show, and I really do believe that's going to be me.'

Back in 2004, when Haye was stopped by 40-year-old veteran Carl Thompson, his only defeat in 21 fights, he would have been laughed out of London, his home town, for such a remark. But this is not the 1970s. There is no Joe Frazier, Muhammad Ali, George Foreman or even a Jerry Quarry eager to call his bluff - just an endless supply of flabby eastern Europeans with tidy jabs and zero personalities.

Haye's only cameo at heavyweight, against the WBC's number-11 fighter Tomasz Bonin, augured well, ending with a one-round blow-out in his favour. But Nigel Collins, The Ring magazine's editor-in-chief, is cautious about whether Haye can step up. 'I like David a lot,' he says. 'He's all-action, articulate, charismatic and has almost everything... but we just don't know how his Achilles chin will hold up at heavyweight. But after last weekend's nonsense at Madison Square Garden between [IBF heavyweight champion] Vladimir Klitschko and [WBO champion] Sultan Ibragimov, it's obvious that the division is crying out for new talent.' The Ukrainian won the unification bout by a unanimous decision after being jeered during a dreary contest.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-03-2013 at 11:47 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

He doesn't come into camp 17 pounds heavy by eating egg whites and sardines.

He trained hard with the iron, and ate huge to match it.

Al I see below is heavy iron. All I see above is "17 pounds over weight". There is the answer you are looking for.

Quote:
Overhead squat
Do 20-25 reps as a warm up.

Push-jerk[/B]
7 sets of 3 reps at 90% of your one rep max.

Hang-pull

Deadlift

Med ball shot-putt

5-7 reps on each arm.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-03-2013 at 12:17 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
He doesn't come into camp 17 pounds heavy by eating egg whites and sardines.

He trained hard with the iron, and eat huge to match it.

Al I see below is heavy iron. All I see above is "17 pounds over weight". There is the answer you are looking for.

I don't really understand are you saying he gained weight as in fat or muscle?
He said he had to lose it? Do you mean he was too heavy for his class from gaining too much muscle?

If thats what you mean, I still don't understand how he stays so lean if he eats so much.

"He EAST during the off-season, make no bones about it."

you mean he gained fat or?

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 06-03-2013 at 11:43 AM.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
You know how frustrating it is to beat the drum of simplicity every day, and then have the physique of Hayes - who uses simplicity - posted up like he doesn't lift at all? No, he doesn't use a bro split. yes, he squats and dips. See, simplicity does work.

I didn't know he lifted weights at all until now, thats what I was told,and he said so himself.

If I did know he used weights and didn't know his workout plan, I'd assume he would be following a simplistic routine.

Of course he wouldn't use a bro split, why the hell would he? He's an athlete.

I'm may know nothing about health and fitness, but I know that much

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
Shorts
Shorts
is chasing Elite!
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
My Mood: Inspired
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

He is gaining both, with how much a man like him or any other athlete eats he is going to gain weight. It is going to be BOTH muscle and fat, period.

That starvation mode that he enters pre-fight to get to his weight class will cause a loss in muscle AND fat.

You want to know how to stay lean and eat that much? It isn't a secret, you work your ass off. You put in the time in the gym with the weights, that means you leave it all in the gym when you are in there. You would be surprised what continuous training and consistency can do for a body.

Additionally, he has been doing his "job" for how long now? With the people that are PAID to train him and his own knowledge I am sure he has an idea of what his body needs. When you get there you won't have to sit there and think about bulking/cutting/WHATEVER. But you need to take the years and put in the time.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
kitarpyar
kitarpyar
is a rank novice now
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Aggressive
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Well thats what I mean. The whole Idea of bulking up and cutting, doesn't apply to them.
I thought that was the only way to do it (granted there are other variables we've already addressed in my other posts.)
David Hayes (or any top notch athlete) didnt build their physique overnight. Years of consistent hard work leads to that point. You dont "need" to bulk or cut if you plan on gaining 1/4 pound a month. Gain 3 lbs per year for 6-7 years (roughly the length of their amateur career), and that's a 20 lbs gain by the time they debut as a pro.

In short - you dont need to bulk or cut, and you can gain muscle while gaining only minimal fat. Just be aware it takes a lot of time (read years).
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #18
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
So he does weight train.

With so many links to sources out there, that state he does weights, I'm wondering how much research you did with regard to it.

Weights
"I work on strength, meaning fewer reps. I do the bench press (145kg), squats (180kg) and chin-ups (with 45kg weights around my waist). Two sessions a day - two days on, one day off."

David Haye Workout, Training Routine & Diet - GQ.COM (UK) - GQ.COM (UK)

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #19
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
David Hayes (or any top notch athlete) didnt build their physique overnight. Years of consistent hard work leads to that point. You dont "need" to bulk or cut if you plan on gaining 1/4 pound a month. Gain 3 lbs per year for 6-7 years (roughly the length of their amateur career), and that's a 20 lbs gain by the time they debut as a pro.

In short - you dont need to bulk or cut, and you can gain muscle while gaining only minimal fat. Just be aware it takes a lot of time (read years).

1/4 pound?!

gain 3 pounds of muscle in a year?!

They'd look no different!

I'd rather gain the fat that that, and thats coming from an OCD driven model!

Seriously though, I was under the impression you could gain muscle with minimal fat at around 1 to 2 pounds per month.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 06-03-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
With so many links to sources out there, that state he does weights, I'm wondering how much research you did with regard to it.

Weights
"I work on strength, meaning fewer reps. I do the bench press (145kg), squats (180kg) and chin-ups (with 45kg weights around my waist). Two sessions a day - two days on, one day off."

David Haye Workout, Training Routine & Diet - GQ.COM (UK) - GQ.COM (UK)

Well maybe if I'd dug deeper I would've found out that he did weights.

I just read once that he said he didn't use weights and did weighted body weight exercises.
That coupled with the other countless boxers (mike tyson been one of them) saying that they didn't use weights, led me to believe that was the general consensus.

Share with Facebook