Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
Dray
Dray
is healing up :/
Max Brawn
Points: 9,879, Level: 66 Points: 9,879, Level: 66 Points: 9,879, Level: 66
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member
Default Power Shrugs - any advice?

I'll be trying these for the first time tomorrow (as my choice for "upper back" #2 per week, for 5/3/1 SST), and was wondering whether there's anything I should keep in mind, or definitely *not* do, etc.

No idea what weight to use, but this just means the sets will be ramped up. Unless there's, say, a good ratio to go for (relative to max deadlift, maybe?)

I already know that using straps is common, and probably a good idea anyway. Anything else?

Oh, just one relevant detail I can think of that might be important - there's no power rack/cage thing at the local gym (so, no pins, etc.) Just a "half rack" or whatever they're called; it looks a lot like this:

My training log
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
Hunterace
Hunterace
is mental!!!
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 17,262, Level: 83 Points: 17,262, Level: 83 Points: 17,262, Level: 83
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

That rack should do fine since you're taller like me. I set my pins just above my knees. I use straps for all my sets so I can go heavy. Be explosive, but not out of control. Not sure there's a % relative to deads, just try them out.

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...734#post494734
Hunterace is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Dray
Dray
Max Brawn

Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Thanks, Hunter. I'll see how they go with that crappy old rack, lol.

Wouldn't even be asking, but I gather these are meant to be done heavy, and since I last managed to hurt myself (it was the back, too) I've become a bit more cautious when approaching new or slightly new stuff.

My training log

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Hunterace
Hunterace
is mental!!!
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn

Whenever trying a new lift, start lighter. There's no need to go crazy the first day. I'd say try 70% of your 1RM of deads. Try for at least 10 reps, think you'd be able to do 20 honestly. Do it for 3-5 sets, ramp up if you wish. I normally just hit sets of 10 for heavy using the same weight and use 70-80% for sets of 20ish if you want to do higher rep sets. Keep the first day lighter and don't go crazy, with a new lift you'll be beat up

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Dray
Dray
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterace View Post
Whenever trying a new lift, start lighter. There's no need to go crazy the first day. I'd say try 70% of your 1RM of deads. Try for at least 10 reps, think you'd be able to do 20 honestly. Do it for 3-5 sets, ramp up if you wish. I normally just hit sets of 10 for heavy using the same weight and use 70-80% for sets of 20ish if you want to do higher rep sets. Keep the first day lighter and don't go crazy, with a new lift you'll be beat up
Cool. And yes, feeling beat up is especially a concern with this one*, because the day after, I'll be doing squats and SLDLs. I can feel the pain already, heh.

* Leading me to wonder if power shrugs are a smart choice. But anyway...

My training log

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Hunterace
Hunterace
is mental!!!
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn

Oh yea, having the bar on your traps the next day will be fun ! A few weeks and you'll be used to it though. If you're like me you'll love them though, regardless of the pain or soreness. I did the slow paused shrugs for a long time and it did nothing for growing my traps. Since I switched to power shrugs, my traps are jumping up!

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log

Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
thexman
thexman
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 1,546, Level: 22 Points: 1,546, Level: 22 Points: 1,546, Level: 22
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

thexman has made some good poststhexman has made some good poststhexman has made some good poststhexman has made some good poststhexman has made some good poststhexman has made some good poststhexman has made some good poststhexman has made some good poststhexman has made some good posts

Why not get more bang for your buck and make them high pulls (but only pull to your mid-stomach).

This will not only make your traps huge, but your shoulders, lats, upper back and biceps.
thexman is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
1morerep
1morerep
is in a mission
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Yeehaw
1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

I think this is a curl rack... LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post

Oh, just one relevant detail I can think of that might be important - there's no power rack/cage thing at the local gym (so, no pins, etc.) Just a "half rack" or whatever they're called; it looks a lot like this:

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Dray
Dray
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thexman View Post
Why not get more bang for your buck and make them high pulls (but only pull to your mid-stomach).

This will not only make your traps huge, but your shoulders, lats, upper back and biceps.
High pulls have been working well for you?

I've never tried them. Just used to do the full power clean thing, because Starting Strength. Actually, did muck around with hang cleans one day, for the heck of it. Still, not quite the same thing.

I'm doing bicep iso work, plenty of lat work, quite a bit of shoulder punishment...

And is it at all possible that I might be able to shift more weight with a power shrug than with a high pull? I should be power shrugging over 200kg soon, I imagine.

If so, I'd rather do power shrugs. Upper traps and surrounding musculature is an area that's been lacking for me, since well, I was born, haha. Efficiency is what I'm after.

My training log

Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
Dray
Dray
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morerep View Post
I think this is a curl rack... LOL!!!
Well, to be fair, the one in the local gym might be a bit taller, but otherwise, it looks very much like that.

But while I'm posting anyway, what the freaking heck is a curl rack (lol), and why in all the blazes might a person require one?!

My training log

Share with Facebook