Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post

...but the thread title is "What's wrong with Cross Fit?" and he just said what he thinks is wrong with cross fit: namely that if they put the same effort into mastering a few lifts instead of dabbling in a thousand lifts, they'd be formidable lifters. this seems valid; he's not just saying something ignorant like "because it's stupid." are you trying to silence anyone who believes there's something wrong with it? doesn't that go against the point of the thread...?
Why would my post above be taken as trying to silence somebody? Am I missing something here?

RGRthat and Soldier have been discussing things in their repsective posts but me and Soldier can't, is that what you're saying? I don't get it.

Last edited by 5kgLifter; 05-18-2013 at 03:59 PM.
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 32,148, Level: 100 Points: 32,148, Level: 100 Points: 32,148, Level: 100
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Crossfitters train for conditioning. I train for strength. Ofcourse I wont do crossfit to get strong. Sure we use the same tool - a bar - to reach out goal but thats pretty much the only thing in common.

Im very impressed by the endurance of elite crossfitters, 100 rep frontsquats with 110 lbs? Damn I would be half-dead after 30!

No reason to hate, just do your thing and learn on the way.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Bill
Bill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,506, Level: 37 Points: 3,506, Level: 37 Points: 3,506, Level: 37
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Bowling Master Champion! Drag Race Speed Champion!
My Mood: Angry
Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

$120/month to join a xfit gym.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
Bill
Bill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,506, Level: 37 Points: 3,506, Level: 37 Points: 3,506, Level: 37
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Bowling Master Champion! Drag Race Speed Champion!
My Mood: Angry
Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Take your average certified trainer at any gym...you know, those people that took a 12 hour course and got certified, well, that's how xfit works. Pay affilitate fees, certification fees etc, now you are qualified to teach others
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 128,887, Level: 100 Points: 128,887, Level: 100 Points: 128,887, Level: 100
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Take your average certified trainer at any gym...you know, those people that took a 12 hour course and got certified, well, that's how xfit works. Pay affilitate fees, certification fees etc, now you are qualified to teach others
That may describe some crossfit trainers, but not all. The manager of my gym is a very knowledgeable guy, who is enthusiastic about strongman and powerlifting. He has a wealth of experience. He's opening a second cross-fit gym and will be running classes.

So some are arriving at Crossfit with a grounding in other areas (based on my limited experience of one person).

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #16
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 128,887, Level: 100 Points: 128,887, Level: 100 Points: 128,887, Level: 100

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
i dislike it because you don't need it. it's not a category of lifts like "Olympic," "powerlifting," or "strongman," it's repackaging exercises in a trendy name with overpriced gyms and a "new" image. there's nothing new about anything they're doing.
it's another thing that annoys me because it's a reminder to me that many people need new fads, new "packaging" to take an interest in something. do you want to be lean and strong? you could've been doing that for years with Oly, powerlifting, and/or strongman. there isn't anything cross fit gyms do that you can point to and say "that originated with cross fit."
to me, cross fit is about image and people buying into this image.
I had a whole different post prepared in response to this, and then I re-read the bit about people needing new fads to take an interest in something.

Just today, I have the same feeling about lifting weights...when I walked into town today, I saw three pretty jacked looking guys. I felt a real stab of resentment that everyone and his mother lifts weights these days. When I started, 35 years ago in the UK, not one person in a hundred knew what a bench press was. seriously. Few outside of a doctor's practice knew what pecs or glutes were/ So lifting weights was not a default activity for males; it was seen as a bit weird and possibly creepy; you had to actively choose it despite cultural pressure not because of it. I've watched that gradually change over the 80s, 90s, 00s, and now the 10s, growing every year.

These days, there's nothing at all unusual about what I've been doing for many years. So from my aged perspective, I feel the same about lifting weights as you do about cross-fit - once going to the gym permeated into the mass culture and caught on, then everyone was doing it.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,361,199, Level: 100 Points: 1,361,199, Level: 100 Points: 1,361,199, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
are you trying to silence anyone who believes there's something wrong with it?
Babs, nor this forum works that way. Why even ask a question like that?

That is the last thing that will take place here. This isn't a bro forum.

Let's keep the discussion reasonable.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-18-2013 at 07:49 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,876, Level: 71 Points: 11,876, Level: 71 Points: 11,876, Level: 71
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I appreciate you backing me up SO, but it's all good. Babs and I seem to always disagree, and that's the fun of having a forum for discussion.

Personally, I watched 2 minutes of that crossfit games video (the second one that was posted) and I was so BORED. Why would I want to watch a bunch of dudes lifting light weights and hopping back and forth over a plywood box?

I just really, really believe that no matter what your goal is, there are much better ways to achieve it than crossfit. If you want to get stronger, then I'm sure we can all agree it isn't the way to go, but even if the goal is purely conditioning I still don't believe the traditional crossfit programming is the way to go. Yes, circuit training is awesome for developing your cardiovascular system because it allows you to bypass the failure of a particular muscle or group of muscles and continue to keep your heart rate elevated by moving from muscle to muscle as you change movements, but I have a huge problem with incorporating any Olympic/explosive/technically advanced and therefore dangerous movements into a circuit. It's an unneeded risk when there are so many movements out there that would work better, and this exact practice is a HUGE part of crossfit.

I absolutely love some of the movements that are staples of crossfit. Ring work is a big one, as it allows you to do pullups, dips, or muscle-ups in a far more natural way. There's a reason gymnasts usually look fantastic, and rings are a big part of that. I also love different jumps and hops, especially for conditioning as they allow you to jump with less intensity as you fatigue, sort of like a built in drop-set. I also like kipping pullups, because they teach you to use your whole body to get the job done. Making your whole body work together is a huge part of coordination, and you miss out of that if you are more concerned with working a muscle instead of a movement.

But although I like some of what crossfit does, there's still quite a bit about it that I dislike, as I stated earlier, and it's true that the question was "What's wrong with crossfit?" and not "What do you think about crossfit?" That's why all I listed were my gripes.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1325
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #19
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I don't see anything wrong with CrossFit. Different strokes for different folks. Obviously their goals are not to be as big and strong as they can be. If their stated goals were to be their biggest and strongest, then I'd take issue with it. But it's not so I don't understand why strength athletes take such a dim view of what they do. Besides, CrossFit has given us some fantastic looking women. I'd even go as far as to say CrossFit might be the perfect way for women to train; they seem to get pretty strong and sexy looking.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #20
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn
Points: 5,033, Level: 45 Points: 5,033, Level: 45 Points: 5,033, Level: 45

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Oly Moves for time and Speed... DUMB.. Thats a huge part of crossfit.. Look at the games.. They run, jump swing like monkeys. Then run over to a bar and do an Oly move as fast as they can...

Also Oly Athletes train years to get there form down.

Many Crossfit trainers take a 2 day class for $1000 to be certified in Crossfit.

Also not to be all high and mighty.. Every guy/girl I know personal who does crossfit... I can run faster, jump higher, deadlift and squat more...What am I doing so wrong to make Crossfit better then what I do.

Last edited by Ramrod; 05-18-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook