Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 12-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #101
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Still looking at my options with this! Any input would be awesome. I am only going 3 days a week, and when I go 4 I usually do a 5/3/1 approach giving each main lift their own day of focus, like an upper lower split.
Have you looked at the Texas method for a 5x5? The base is strong with aggressive progression. You could add a couple of assistance lifts after it.

Quote:
Monday Volume Day

A) Squats, 5 x 5 @ 90% of 5RM

B) Bench press or overhead press, 5 x 5 @ 90% 5RM

C) Deadlifts, 1 x 5 @ 90% 5RM

Volume 5: Sets of 5 reps across (the same weight repeated for the work sets) has proven to be the optimum combination of volume and intensity.

Higher reps require a weight that's simply too light, while lower reps with a heavier weight don't have optimum volume and cause too much structural stress. Many people have tweaked the sets and reps, and time after time they come back to 5 sets of 5 across as the best driver of long-term progress.

Load: The weight should be such that all five sets of all five reps can be finished without more than 8-10 minutes rest between sets. For most people, this works out to about 90% of 5RM.

For example, if your 5-rep max squat is 345, then 315 x 5 x 5 would be Monday's squat workout. The bench press and the overhead press respond this way also; alternate between one exercise and the other each Monday for 5 x 5 with about 90% of 5RM.

However, deadlifts are another story. There is no volume day for deadlifts, because deadlifts are too hard you can't recover from them if you do more than one heavy set. (This is especially true if you're doing 5 x 5 squats, too.)

Experience with this has shown that it's best to do just one heavy set of five deadlifts on Monday, after squats and benches or overhead presses are finished. It won't be a "true" 5RM, since it follows all the squat work, but it should increase every week.

For those of you keeping score, this makes Monday a real bastard of a workout, and that's the point: it sets up the rest of the week for recovery and a focus on intensity in Friday's workout.

Assistance Work: If it were up to me, I'd limit any assistance exercises to some brief arm work on Monday. I'd also limit any excessive weekend frivolity that might affect the workout, like staying up all night Saturday chasing pussy with your wingman, Jim Beam.

Recovery: It should start right after the last set of the workout. At this level of training intensity, it's imperative that you eat and sleep with both sufficient quality and quantity The Texas Method will overtrain your ass very quickly if you don't pay attention to recovery.

Remember: You don't get big and strong from lifting weights you get big and strong from recovering from lifting weights. Don't fail to pay attention to this, or Monday's workout will murder the rest of the week and you'll get stuck.

Wednesday Recovery Day

A) Squats, 2 x 5 @ 80% of Monday's work weight

B) Overhead press (if you bench pressed Monday), 3 x 5 at slightly lighter load than previous 5 x 5 OHP weight, or bench press (if OHP on Monday), 3 x 5 @ 90% previous 5 x 5 weight.

C) Chin ups, 3 x Bodyweight

D) Back extensions or glute-ham raise, 5 x 10

Recovery continues with Wednesday's workout. Squats are 80% of Monday's work weight for 2 sets of 5. Benches and overhead presses alternate: if you did overhead presses on Monday for 5 x 5, benches are done Wednesday with 3 sets of a little lighter weight than the last 5 x 5 bench press so that you can feel the load but not so much that it taps into recovery.

Recovery day overhead presses done on Wednesday are a little heavier, relative to 5RM, than the recovery-day benches, since their absolute load is lighter anyway. Finish the workout with chin-ups and back extensions; I like 3 sets to failure for chins, with five minutes between sets, and 5 sets of 10 back extensions or glute/ham raises.

Friday Intensity Day

A) Squats, warm-up, then work up in singles or doubles to one single, new 5RM

B) Bench press, (if you bench pressed Monday) or overhead press (if OHP on Monday), warm-up, then work up in singles or doubles to one single, new 5RM

* C) Power clean, 5 x 3 reps or power snatch, 6 x 2 reps

Friday is intensity day. It focuses the tonnage from Monday into a new 5RM, or within 2% of it to allow for training-quality technique. Do most of your warm-up work light, first with the empty bar and then 135, and then take doubles or singles up to your one work set, the one that should give you a new 5RM.

Make sure that the load is higher than Monday but not so much that form breaks down on the last reps. If it does, you picked the wrong weight.

Friday Options

* Since deadlifts were done on Monday, Friday is power clean/power snatch day. The Olympic lifts are the best way to train explosiveness and athleticism under the bar, while allowing you to increase your power in a way that's incrementally programmable.

Dynamic Effort work has become popular as another way to do this, and using explosive deadlifts on Friday would be a way to incorporate DE into the Texas Method, but the Olympic weightlifting-derived power clean and power snatch represents a different level of neuromuscular activity.

Keep in mind that deadlifts are pulled fast because you want to pull them fast; power cleans are pulled fast because you have to pull them fast or they won't rack on the shoulders.

The explosive aspect of a clean is actually minimal since the explosion is inherent in the top of the movement. Cleans and snatches are both lighter and more powerful than deadlifts, and thus are perfect for the Friday workout.

If you want to call yourself a lifter, you need to know how to clean and snatch, even if you don't intend to compete in Olympic weightlifting. After your warm up, do power cleans for 5 sets of 3 reps across, or power snatches for 6 doubles.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #102
Palmer
Palmer
is on dat celltech
Brawn
Points: 1,415, Level: 21 Points: 1,415, Level: 21 Points: 1,415, Level: 21
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4 Years
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Mellow
Palmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributor

thanks elite for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #103
Palmer
Palmer
is on dat celltech
Brawn

Palmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributorPalmer is a consistent contributor

Thanks BTB!!

This is real results template with a few twists

Week 1 Upper 1

Warmup 5 minutes treadmill

Bench:
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5

Meadows Rows:
2 25 Plates x 10
2 25 Plates x 10
2 25 Plates x 10
2 25 Plates x 10
2 25 Plates x 10
Going to remove volume down to 3 sets on these, like the routine says.

DB Shoulder Press:
45's x 10
45's x 10
45's x 8

Chins:

Barbell Curls:
65 x 10
65 x 10
55 x 10

Dips:
BW x 15
BW x 15
BW x 15

Arms were a superset. The major changes I did to this were that I do a chin and a row on BOTH upper days, and not just one on one and the other on the next. Also, each upper day will have a chin, but the row will change. Sometimes barbell, sometimes dumbbell, sometimes I will do the meadows row or maybe the hammer strength row. Although I even try to stay away from plate loaded machines I sometimes like to pump up an incline or decline chest movement, or the shoulder press with them. Adding in Rear Delts and Chest flies to each day of the upper days.

Cheers.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #104
linedriver465
linedriver465
Work, Eat, Train, Sleep, Rinse, Repeat
Max Brawn
Points: 5,829, Level: 49 Points: 5,829, Level: 49 Points: 5,829, Level: 49
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Volume
Fav Supp: Caffeine
My Mood: Inspired
linedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beast

Push for progression and keep it going!

"Like" my Facebook author page for future article updates

Follow my lifting log!

"Life is too short to dick around" - Steve Shaw
linedriver465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 03:44 AM   #105
Palmer
Palmer
is on dat celltech
Brawn

Thanks LD I'm back at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #106
Hunterace
Hunterace
is mental!!!
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 17,397, Level: 84 Points: 17,397, Level: 84 Points: 17,397, Level: 84
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Great work Palmer! Good to see you back at it!

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...734#post494734
Hunterace is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #107
Palmer
Palmer
is on dat celltech
Brawn

Thanks Hunt. Once again another routine that's very easy to program or change around a little and not set you far off track. Which is why I like it because I might change deadlifts to another day or something etc.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #108
Palmer
Palmer
is on dat celltech
Brawn

W1 D2 Lower

Warmed up a little bit

Squat:
Bar x 10
95 x 10
135 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5 sets x 5

Deadlift:
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5

Triset;

Decline Situps:

Calves Raises:
100 x 15
100 x 15
100 x 15

Leg Raises:

This was a test of might today. Second time in a while that I've left the gym wanting to throw up. I'm not sure if it's the 5 sets of squats, which I might lower down to 3 sets, not sure, or if it's the abs after the squats, like the combination of the two. I was debating only doing 3 work sets of squats either way since you're supposed to do 5x5 the first day and then 4x8 the second day.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #109
Hunterace
Hunterace
is mental!!!
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 17,397, Level: 84 Points: 17,397, Level: 84 Points: 17,397, Level: 84
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Great work Palmer! Barf away bud ! Keep up the strong work!

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...734#post494734
Hunterace is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #110
Palmer
Palmer
is on dat celltech
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterace View Post
Great work Palmer! Barf away bud ! Keep up the strong work!
Thanks Hunter! Trying to NOT puke, what a waste of food...

Share with Facebook