Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Appreciation Threads

Notices

Appreciation Threads Lifter Appreciation Threads. Contains resources, pictures, workouts, videos and articles on specific lifters.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #21
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I mentioned earlier that I thought I needed to move more towards a stricter L day. I believe that if I don't, I might be heading towards more aches and pains. I'm so use to giving it on every workout.
Light day for me is still a struggle. I want to do a more intense workout usually. However, the weeks that I have truely made wed. a light day were the weeks that Fridays session allowed for a good push up in weight, or reps.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #22
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Light day for me is still a struggle. I want to do a more intense workout usually. However, the weeks that I have truely made wed. a light day were the weeks that Fridays session allowed for a good push up in weight, or reps.
I have a hard time not trying for PRs on all workouts. I lived in that mindset for so long. I do need to back out, get adjusted, and then bring up the intensity.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #23
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I was thinking about that light day session.
I'm going to write a specific light day program for both days.

A hvy/ a lgt
B hvy/ b lgt

I don't have it worked out yet, but will get it done this weekend.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #24
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
I was thinking about that light day session.
I'm going to write a specific light day program for both days.

A hvy/ a lgt
B hvy/ b lgt

I don't have it worked out yet, but will get it done this weekend.
Sometimes I think that's a better approach for me. AB

Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #25
kitarpyar
kitarpyar
is a rank novice now
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94

Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Aggressive
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Great thread. I had seen most of the posts by Casey earlier, but its the first time I saw the interview.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #26
Casey Butt
Casey Butt
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 3,198, Level: 34 Points: 3,198, Level: 34 Points: 3,198, Level: 34

Casey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
You have to approach the light day with a different mentality. At first, "light" means "light", so it's an easy definition. However, as your conditioning improves "light" actually progesses into "light but not necessarily easy". Keep in mind that the typical body simply cannot answer the call three times per week for any one major body part. Therefore, light day may be the trickiest of all because the goal is two-fold, 1) To stimulate muscle growth again because protein synthesis can be stimulated every 48 hours and 2) To avoid further overloading the joints, connective tissues and central nervous system because they typically can't recover from heavy training in 48 hours.

That means you must approach light day training with a different methodology than the other days. On light day, the training effect must be gotten "metabolically", not through structural loading like on heavy and medium days. That means lighter weights, typically higher reps and shorter rest periods. Sets must generally not be taken to failure except possibly the last set of each exercise and then it's more a case of "metabolic discomfort" rather than a physical inability to drive out another rep through psyche. In other words, the training effect must be gotten through cumulative fatigue - not the central nervous system "failing".

An example would be doing 3-4 sets of 12 reps with the same weight and resting 60 secs between sets. The last rep of the last set will be the most difficult because that is the point where the most fatigue from the previous sets and reps will have built up - it is metabolic fatigue, not neural or structural. At the same time, choosing exercises that are by nature less stressful on the joints will allow the joints and central nervous system (CNS) to recover from the heavy day while still stimulating further growth. For instance, if I do partial deadlifts + shrugs on heavy day for 5 x 5, and 3 x 12 of wide-grip pulldowns with short rest periods on light day then that constitutes a very different loading pattern for the muscles, connective tissues, joints and CNS - the overlap with heavy day will be minimal and timely recovery will not be impeded (it may even be hastened).

Every exercise on the light day has to be chosen and approached that way. It's easy to do right, but also very easy to do wrong. If someone does it wrong they'll hit a wall quickly and conclude that three-times-per-week training full-body is too much. If someone does it right, however - especially building up gradually - they'll wonder how they ever thought that three-times-per-week training full-body was too much.
Casey Butt is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #27
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

Since I wrote my post about Wed. being a stuggle with wanting to do more, I've gotten into using an approach pretty much as you have just written about.

Wednesdays, are the end of my workweek, and when my energy is typically at it's lowest. I still get a good session done, but it is as you describe in your post. By the time Friday hits, I'm feeling good, and really ready to up the weight, and hit a new workset weight or rep number.

Nice post as always Casey.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #28
Casey Butt
Casey Butt
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 3,198, Level: 34 Points: 3,198, Level: 34 Points: 3,198, Level: 34

Casey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributor

If you're going to have a "machine day", light day's the day too.
Casey Butt is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #29
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

On ectomorphs:

Ectomorph Workout program

Quote:
Ectomorphs usually can't tolerate high volumes, and high intensities (at least at first). So his best approach would be to train his full-body three times a week and not go anywhere near failure at first. Start him off the just the basic exercises and increase from 1 to 3 sets each as the weeks pass and he gets stronger and used to the workload. He shouldn't be in the gym for more than an hour at any time.

That, and a good diet, will set him up well.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #30
Shaolinkiwi
Shaolinkiwi
Back to square 1
Ground Zero Training
Max Brawn
Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35

My Mood: Busy
Shaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributor

Wow - great post, great article.

Found this very relevant giving I'm all about full body splits now. Wish I'd seen this 2 months ago when I first jumped into my advanced fullbody split.

Thanks guys.

T-Alpha Log - CURRENT
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sup...alpha-log.html

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me 1500+! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!
Shaolinkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook