Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Gengaeldelse
Gengaeldelse
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,254, Level: 19 Points: 1,254, Level: 19 Points: 1,254, Level: 19
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Fav Exercise: Dead lift
Fav Supp: Gravity
My Mood: Tired
Gengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good posts
Default The dramatic decline of the modern man

The dramatic decline of the modern man - Salon.com

Basically, we're all wimps.
Gengaeldelse is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
gothamsreckoning
gothamsreckoning
has an S on his chest.
New Brawn
Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2.5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Mixed Greens
My Mood: Relaxed
gothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good posts

Interesting article, and probably not too far off. Women aren't quite as feminine as they used to be either.
gothamsreckoning is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
SecondsOut
SecondsOut
posted a post in this thread. He did posting to you.
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
My Mood: Lurking
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

it's interesting to consider, but i'd like to see some of those claims backed up. like the one where we were once able to run long distances at the same speed as Olympic sprinters. also, he says: "In the case of the jaw, for example, it may have had something to do with allowing more space in the brain cavity. But I think it’s more to do with our move from the forest onto the savannah"

Well, our move from the forest to the savannah eventually resulted in us eating meat, and supposedly it was meat eating that contributed to our bigger brains. And chimpanzees may have more strength/power, but they have way less finer touch than we do and much less control over their strength.

Also, I question how accurately he can calculate the speed of Ancient Greek rowers... But hey, if his book motivates men to get off the couch, then it's a good book haha

Last edited by SecondsOut; 03-27-2013 at 10:47 PM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
gothamsreckoning
gothamsreckoning
has an S on his chest.
New Brawn
Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16

Training Exp: 2.5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: Mixed Greens
My Mood: Relaxed
gothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
it's interesting to consider, but i'd like to see some of those claims backed up. like the one where we were once able to run long distances at the same speed as Olympic sprinters. also, he says: "In the case of the jaw, for example, it may have had something to do with allowing more space in the brain cavity. But I think itís more to do with our move from the forest onto the savannah"

Well, our move from the forest to the savannah eventually resulted in us eating meat, and supposedly it was meat eating that contributed to our bigger brains.

Also, I question how accurately he can calculate the speed of Ancient Greek rowers...
If I had enough posts I'd put up a "look at the big brains on brett" clip from Pulp Fiction. Seriously though, I didn't really think of that.
gothamsreckoning is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

It's not just an issue of males getting weaker, I'm not sure that I buy into that since power lifting records still fall and men keep getting bigger and bigger with each generation. I think it's more of an issue with society in general. Liberal and [traditional] feminine qualities are glorified while traditionall masculine traits are frowned upon. Our kids are bombarded with messages of anti-gun, anti-bullying, anti-hunting, football is too dangerous, rodeo is animal cruelty, large trucks are bad for the environment, farming and ranching are poor career choices, eating meat is bad for you and unethical, and a host of other such nonsense. I personally blame the lack of male teachers in the younger student's education. It's no wonder that our male population is trending towards the female/liberal ideal. And far be it that we speak out against it or be labeled a Neanderthal.

Last edited by Off Road; 03-28-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,391, Level: 97 Points: 26,391, Level: 97 Points: 26,391, Level: 97
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

saw a tweet yesterday that summed OR up well.

"I am concerned about a world where our future leaders were never spanked as a child and were given trophies just for participating."

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
"I am concerned about a world where our future leaders were never spanked as a child and were given trophies just for participating."
Oh wait, spanking is abusive. My parents abused the crap out of me. Maybe I should see a shrink about these issues.

Disclaimer:
I am making light of spanking, not downplaying abuse.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,330, Level: 79 Points: 15,330, Level: 79 Points: 15,330, Level: 79
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Pretty sure I can out deadlift most of my ancestors. I'm also taller and smarter than them.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100 Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100 Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

If men can be turned into insecure little twits, it is good for profitability. You can sell them all kinds of crap.

Remember the good old days when women used to laugh about how men didn't care if they had bellies? I do.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-28-2013 at 11:05 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn

Men and women are reaching a state of homeostasis; narrow hips, tiny waist, and large chests. Soon it will be hard to distinguish between them.

Share with Facebook