Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
70sBB
70sBB
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts
Default Post-workout window

What exactly is the post-workout window of opportunity and why is it such a hot button topic?
70sBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,479,164, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,164, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,164, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Not sure who started it, but the belief is:

Quote:
the moment your workout ends there is a critical, 45 minute "window of opportunity" that opens up leaving you exactly 45 minutes to consume a hefty dose of protein to replenish the body with essential amino acids in order to produce any muscle growth from your brutal workout.
--Chad Shaw

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
brad1224
brad1224
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,212, Level: 46 Points: 5,212, Level: 46 Points: 5,212, Level: 46
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Cake Of Chaos Champion!
brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

ya i typically tell people that the window is 30 to 45 min but the sooner the better. Even if its just a shake with some oats or if i have some karbolyn on hand il have a scoop of that in my shake, right after you last set or hell i usually start drinking it during my last lift sometimes. the only time i don't hit this window is when I'm dieting, but i will make sure i drink 10g of bcaas during the post workout cardio. At that time I'm not concerned with gaining muscle I'm more concerned about burning fat and keeping the muscle i worked hard for.

i heard people say there is no real "window" but i don't believe that. as soon as you can get protein/carbs in post workout the better

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,628, Level: 75 Points: 13,628, Level: 75 Points: 13,628, Level: 75
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

T-nation has been pushing what they call "peri-workout" nutrition for a while, based on the idea that what you eat before, during, and after your training can have a huge effect on results. Personally, I use my post workout period to eat my biggest, most carb heavy meals. My favorite is pizza. I've heard other variations as well, like a suggestion that you should eat protein right before training, then carbs afterwards, because protein takes longer to digest and if you eat protein after training it won't get broken down enough to be useful until the "window" is closed.

Does it really make a difference? Probably not as much as many believe.
Goals-
Win.

Last edited by Soldier; 03-27-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

The window is overhyped at best. While there is no reason to not have a shake or meal post workout, the timing isn't critical, certainly in the case of beginners and intermediates.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i dont know if the post work out window is true or not but i still have a protein shake before training or a meal and always have a protein shake after training then a meal like 2hrs later, just habit been doing it since i started doing the weights.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
TitanCT
TitanCT
throwing iron and eating pizza.
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Mood: Aggressive
TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

T-Nation pushes peri-workout style eating because two of the smartest guys on the planet use it. John Meadows and Shelby Starnes. Ive seen it work with John. Ate mroe food than ive ever eaten on Johns meal plan and still leaned out.
I have a preworkout meal, an intra shake with carbs and protein in it, and a post workout meal within an hour after i lift. usually steak and white rice. i get an hour instead of 45 minutes after because im consuming so much before and during my lifts.

honestly it all harkens back to "theres more than one way to skin a cat". people have different ways of doing things that work or have worked for them and/or their clients. so best way to know....learn your body. try things watch how you react.

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Learn.Apply.Grow

www.advancedmusclescience.com

ForeRunnerLabs
www.forerunnerlabs.com/

The Lab
www.advancedmusclesciencelab.com//

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,335, Level: 100 Points: 33,335, Level: 100 Points: 33,335, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Ofcourse your body needs energy from food after you crushed it in the gym. Pretty much common sense and people have always been looking forward to lunchbreak doing manual labour aswell.

45mins or 1h? Well I dont think this is to be taken litteraly.

btw here it is

Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
moeheep
moeheep
wants a 900lb Total
Max Brawn
Points: 9,307, Level: 64 Points: 9,307, Level: 64 Points: 9,307, Level: 64
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Amazed
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

I do NOT believe in the post workout window...but then, who the hell am I ??

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeheep View Post
I do NOT believe in the post workout window...but then, who the hell am I ??
you are moe, lol.

Share with Facebook