Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #21
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Anything might happen.

Another thing you must realize is that not all of us believe and do exactly the same things. Most of us probably have the same general thoughts and ideas, but in the specifics we are going to have a lot of variance.

The questions you ask tend to be on very nebulous topics like this one where everyone's experience is going to be a bit different, and then you question the specifics of what they did.

BtB has no idea whether he gained 10 lbs of "muscle" or not back then. Nor does he care or did he even care back then. He just worked and got bigger and stronger. Probably adjusted as he went along.

That's what people are saying to you now! You have the basic general information, you are getting started, our opinions now are going to be guided by what you do and how it affects you. Theory is out the window at this point.

You have to dig in and get your own experience or none of this information is valuable to you. Us debating the finer points of cutting and bulking or this workout over that one is not really useful to you because it's general information.

Get some information on yourself specifically, then we can go from there.

Not saying don't ask questions. Just don't play people off each other because you lack information about yourself that would make the information we're saying meaningful to you.

Hope that makes sense.

That makes allot of sense.
Hit a point of realization there.
I'll bare this in mind.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #22
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Anything might happen.

Another thing you must realize is that not all of us believe and do exactly the same things. Most of us probably have the same general thoughts and ideas, but in the specifics we are going to have a lot of variance.

The questions you ask tend to be on very nebulous topics like this one where everyone's experience is going to be a bit different, and then you question the specifics of what they did.

BtB has no idea whether he gained 10 lbs of "muscle" or not back then. Nor does he care or did he even care back then. He just worked and got bigger and stronger. Probably adjusted as he went along.

That's what people are saying to you now! You have the basic general information, you are getting started, our opinions now are going to be guided by what you do and how it affects you. Theory is out the window at this point.

You have to dig in and get your own experience or none of this information is valuable to you. Us debating the finer points of cutting and bulking or this workout over that one is not really useful to you because it's general information.

Get some information on yourself specifically, then we can go from there.

Not saying don't ask questions. Just don't play people off each other because you lack information about yourself that would make the information we're saying meaningful to you.

Hope that makes sense.
Brilliant post.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #23
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

He actually looks a little thinner to me in the waist after the six months.
5k, could this "recomp" that you told me about?

Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #24
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

He actually looks a little thinner to me afterward.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #25
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
He actually looks a little thinner to me in the waist after the six months.
Looking slimmer, whilst gaining weight certainly indicates recomping, as does looking more muscular and maintianing the exact same weight (tend to also look leaner as well); I've seen both in people's transformations.

There have been a number of people that have a much more lean/muscular look and have either remained the same weight or gained weight but have lost bodyfat and obviously gained lean mass; they all look great.

When people are just starting out with training, there is a higher chance of this occurring, as people get more into their training (maybe over a year, maybe a bit less, maybe even a bit longer, all depends on the individual) it is possible that lean mass gain will then require some fat gain as well but it depends on a lot of factors, how lean a person already is, how much bodyfat there is, diet, training, metabolsim etc, etc...

Some may say that people that have recomped, especially beginners, had a lot of bodyfat to lose in the first place, but I'm afraid that really just isn't the case; I certainly didn't, my bodyfat was pretty low when I started weight training but I still lost inches all over and gained weight (lean mass weight) not to mention an appetite to boot which was a nightmare to keep up with at times...I'd easily have 4 large beef sandwiches followed by a family sized lemon meringue and such for a single meal...and being 5' 2.5" and female, eating around 3,000-4,000 cals a day, at times I wasn't gaining weight and I had a not overly clean diet but no fat gain, the body needed the fuel to keep up with the training and to build the new muscle tissue...so a lot of factors have to be taken into account; listening to your body and adjusting is key to success. Although we are all the same, essentially, we are all very different, at the same time.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #26
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

What is most likely happening is that they are gaining muscle at a greater rate than they are gaining fat. Yes, they are still gaining fat! But at 150 lbs, if you gain 8 lbs of muscle and only 2 lbs of fat, then you will look leaner and your body fat percentage actually stays the same. More muscle with a similar body fat percentage will make you look better.

Simple numbers used by simple minds (mine)
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #27
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 12,925, Level: 74 Points: 12,925, Level: 74 Points: 12,925, Level: 74
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Yeehaw
jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

Quote:
of muscle?
Yes, muscle.
"If you're not taking any risks, don't expect any rewards."

Last edited by jdmalm123; 03-21-2013 at 08:23 AM.
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #28
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn

jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

Quote:
of muscle?
Yes, muscle.

Also, after 2.5 years in college, I was up 25 lbs and my BF never went over 8%...I stayed at 8% for the next 10 years and continued gaining muscle...those gains were slower because I wasn't consistent eating or doing heavy compounds with emphasis on progression...

I'm doing better now....gained over 2 lbs of LBM in the last 3-4 weeks!

Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #29
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

I see.
So hopefully if my body reacts in that way I should gain little to no fat, but gain some lean mass.
Fingers crossed anyway.
Seems to be even more common with teens too.
Like this guy in the video, and Jd you said you didn't go above bf% 4 around my age.
Remember an old Hodge Twins video I watched a couple years back saying that if your a beginner, you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time, and that this typically lasts 6 months to a year.
Similar to what you said 5k.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #30
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn

Quote:
I see.
So hopefully if my body reacts in that way I should gain little to no fat, but gain some lean mass.
Fingers crossed anyway.
Seems to be even more common with teens too.
Like this guy in the video, and Jd you said you didn't go above bf% 4 around my age.
Remember an old Hodge Twins video I watched a couple years back saying that if your a beginner, you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time, and that this typically lasts 6 months to a year.
Similar to what you said 5k.
As a teen/early 20's and in the beginner stages, lean mass gains are very doable...just realize gains are slower this way, especially starting as an ectomorph...

I did try serious bulking when in my mid 30's (4 big meals + half gallon of milk + whey daily) ...and, it worked...gained 20 lbs in 3-4 months, but....half of that was fat... strength gains were excellent during this bulk...

WARNING: Once my BF went into the 15-20% range, my metabolism changed and I have still not been able to get it under 12% (without starving and losing strength).

Share with Facebook