Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,138, Level: 69 Points: 11,138, Level: 69 Points: 11,138, Level: 69
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default Sports Supplement Linked to Cardiac Issues, Death

Quote:
The Army is investigating a popular workout booster ingredient called dimethylamylamine (DMAA) and its potential link to the deaths of two soldiers at US military bases. Americans spend more than $100 million a year on sports supplements containing DMAA, which is also known as “geranium extract” because it can supposedly be found in Chinese geraniums.

“This is the most dangerous ingredient sold today in supplements in the United States," Dr. Pieter Cohen, an internist at Harvard Medical School, told NPR.

Among the products that contain DMAA—a powerful stimulant—are Jack3d, advertised on the GNC website as providing “ultra-intense muscle-gorging strength, energy, power & endurance,” and OxyElite Pro.

DMAA has been banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and Major League Baseball, but is still sold at GNC, the Vitamin Shoppe, and other stores.

Cardiac Arrest After Using Jack3d
Last year, Private Michael Lee Sparling went into cardiac arrest after running for about 10 minutes with his unit at Fort Bliss, Texas. The 22-year-old soldier had taken the recommended dose of Jack3d, bought at a GNC store on the base, prior to exercising, according to the New York Times. Sparling had recently completed basic training and was reportedly in excellent physical shape.

Another soldier, 32, at the same base also died last year after taking a physical fitness test. Toxicology reports showed that both soldiers had used DMAA.

Case reports about the two deaths appeared in the journal Military Medicine, in a paper stating in part, “Our cases highlight concerns that DMAA in combination with other ingredients may be associated with significant consequences, reminiscent of previous adverse events from other sympathomimetic drugs previously removed from the market,” such as ephedra, a stimulant that was banned after the FDA linked it to increased risk for heart problems and stroke.

Starling’s parents have filed a wrongful death suit against UPS Labs (the maker of Jack3d) and GNC (where the supplement was purchased) alleging that the companies deceptively marketed the workout booster as safe and effective, while failing to warn customers of its potential risks, the New York Times reports.

As a precaution, the Defense Department has removed all DMAA products from stores on military bases, including more than 100 GNC outlets, according to an Army spokesman.

FDA Warning Letters About Heart Attack Risk
Last year, the FDA sent warning letters to 10 manufacturers and distributors of dietary supplements containing DMAA—including USPlabs, LLC—charging that they were marketing products without submitting required evidence of safety.

Specifically, the warning letters stated that, “DMAA is known to narrow the blood vessels and arteries, which can elevate blood pressure and may lead to cardiovascular events ranging from shortness of breath and tightening in the chest to heart attack. The agency has received 42 adverse event reports on products containing DMAA. While the complaints do not establish that DMAA was the cause of the incidents, some of the reports have included cardiac disorders, nervous system disorders, psychiatric disorders, and death.”

The FDA also warned the companies that synthetic DMAA is not a “dietary ingredient” and therefore is “not eligible to be used in a dietary supplement.”

As of mid-February of this year, the FDA has received about 80 reports of health problems in people who took DMAA supplements, including five deaths: three in people who took Jack3d; one in a user of OxyElite, a fat-burning supplement also made by USPlabs, and one in a consumer who used both products, according to the New York Times.

The reports also described people being hospitalized for heart attacks, heart failure, kidney failure, and liver failure. However, the FDA emphasizes that these anecdotal reports don’t prove any cause-and-effect relationship between the supplements and these disorders.

Death of a Marathon Runner
Claire Squires, 30, collapsed and died during the final leg of the 2012 London Marathon. In an inquest report released in January the coroner stated, “She had taken a supplement containing DMAA, which, on the balance of probabilities, in combination with extreme physical exertion caused acute cardiac failure, which resulted in her death."

"My hope is that the coverage of this case and the events leading up to Claire's death will help publicize the potentially harmful effects of DMAA during extreme exertion,” according to BBC News. Squires’ boyfriend said that she’d put a scoop of a DMAA product in her water bottle before the race.

DMAA products have been withdrawn from several European countries and in August, 2012, the Food Standards Agency warned people not to consume the stimulant, saying that it could be fatal or cause serious health problems, BBC News reports.

DMAA is also listed on product packaging as geranium extract, geranamine, methylhexanamine, and 4-methylhexane-2-amine.

GNC Responds to Safety Concerns
When I contacted GNC, spokesperson Laura Brophy sent the following responses by email:

•GNC has no reason to believe that DMAA is unsafe.
•GNC, as a matter of corporate policy, does not comment on pending litigation.
•GNC sells legal products that are widely available at a variety of retail outlets, both in-store and online, and that comply with all relevant regulatory guidelines in the markets in which they are sold.
•GNC brand products are clearly labeled in terms of ingredients and possible restrictions on use, including age of the consumer.
•Different professional sports leagues and sports regulatory bodies have different guidelines for use of specific supplements or ingredients. We do believe that it is an athlete's responsibility to conform to the rules and regulations of his or her league or sport.
•However, through a partnership with the globally renowned HFL Sports Science accredited laboratory, GNC now provides Banned Substance Free/HFL Testing throughout GNC’s performance nutrition line, eliminating the concern athletes, parents, coaches, and trainers may have relative to banned substances in organized sports.
•Other products sold by GNC are manufactured by third party vendors. With third party products, GNC is simply the retailer and, like all retailers, relies upon the representations and contractual warranties made by the vendor that the products are safe and compliant with all applicable laws and regulations. Questions with respect to the sourcing of ingredients should be directed to the manufacturers of the product that contain those ingredients.
•GNC, as a responsible retailer, complies with all regulatory mandates and requests, including product recalls.
•GNC does not manufacture any private label products that include DMAA as an ingredient.
Sports Supplement Linked to Cardiac Issues, Death | Yahoo! Health

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 03-19-2013 at 12:32 PM.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Bill
Bill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,035, Level: 40 Points: 4,035, Level: 40 Points: 4,035, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Drag Race Speed Champion!
My Mood: Angry
Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

when is the army going to investigate the thousands of deaths due to suicide, smoking and alcohol.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,903, Level: 91 Points: 20,903, Level: 91 Points: 20,903, Level: 91
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
when is the army going to investigate the thousands of deaths due to suicide, smoking and alcohol.
When they use common sense. So no time soon.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
When I was in cartons of cigarettes were $3 at the PX.

But it was my choice. Granted, we had nothing else to do.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,128, Level: 77 Points: 14,128, Level: 77 Points: 14,128, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Don't worry, they are. There's been a ton of resources put into the suicide issue, although we still have huge rates of smoking and many of us drink like there's no tomorrow. Seeking a release is part of Army life. When you get screwed over and over and your entire life is controlled by someone else, someone who really doesn't care about you, you relax any way possible during the little free time you have.

As for these reports, it drives me crazy because all of these morons were doing cardio when they died. We had a guy in my last company, a very stupid guy that nobody really liked. One day after a rather vigorous workout, running up and down a massive, steep hill, this guy collapsed and went non-responsive. Turns out he had taken C4, a preworkout supp. This guy took stimulants, then did some of the most intense, high blood pressure inducing activities you can do. He came back from the hospital later that day. He never lived that stupid shit down.

I take stims before I lift weights. That's what they're FOR.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Dray
Dray
is squatting again! : )
Max Brawn
Points: 9,965, Level: 66 Points: 9,965, Level: 66 Points: 9,965, Level: 66
Activity: 64% Activity: 64% Activity: 64%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Damn, that sucks. Think I'd heard about DMAA before, and it wasn't good news then either.

I don't think I could even contemplate taking stims unless not doing so was going to hurt or endanger me. Then again, I'm neither military nor lifting huge (at this point).

And I do enjoy a coffee before workouts, so...

Oh, and if someone finds out creatine will kill people lifting weights? I'm not going to be a happy lifter, no not at all. Just ordered some, lol.

My training log
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,152, Level: 97 Points: 27,152, Level: 97 Points: 27,152, Level: 97
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I don't think you can find any supps anymore with DMAA in it, at least here in Canada. Jack 3D was pulled off the shelves a long time ago. I did pick up some Jack 3D Micro in Vegas and it doesn't have DMAA in it.

I have heard a product called Dendrobium has replaced it and is widely available now in pill form. It is apparently used for energy in Chinese herbal medicine.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,138, Level: 69 Points: 11,138, Level: 69 Points: 11,138, Level: 69
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I've tried some supps with DMAA. I thought it was pretty good stuff. Not to jittery, but consistent and noticable energy.
However, I never take the full dose of any stimulants. And as Soldier mentioned, I take them for weight training. Not for cardio. Cardio is not what they are for.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
brad1224
brad1224
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Cake Of Chaos Champion!
brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

always taking the best shit away!

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 136,782, Level: 100 Points: 136,782, Level: 100 Points: 136,782, Level: 100
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post

As for these reports, it drives me crazy because all of these morons were doing cardio when they died. We had a guy in my last company, a very stupid guy that nobody really liked. One day after a rather vigorous workout, running up and down a massive, steep hill, this guy collapsed and went non-responsive. Turns out he had taken C4, a preworkout supp. This guy took stimulants, then did some of the most intense, high blood pressure inducing activities you can do. He came back from the hospital later that day. He never lived that stupid shit down.

I take stims before I lift weights. That's what they're FOR.
But don't some intense weights routines have exactly the same effect? What about high-rep squat routines, or strongman loading medleys - surely they must push blood pressure and pulse rate sky-high? So I'm wondering if weightlifters might be equally vulnerable.

Unless it specifies on the bottle what sort of workout it's suitable for, there are going to be a lot of people who naturally assume that it's for any activity where you want a performance boost.

I've tried pre-workout stims in the past (anyone remember Ultimate Orange?). I found that I wanted to train on them all the time, which I didn't think was a good sign. And they did make me feel really odd on big exercises.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook