LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,875, Level: 59 Points: 7,875, Level: 59 Points: 7,875, Level: 59
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrwdslv View Post
Carry on as planned, if it happens again on the same exercises, drop the weight to a comfortable 5x5 (or whatever) and rework up.

It happens to all of us, tonight I could only do 285lbs 1x on my 1+.. and my 1RM is 300lbs.. sh*t happens. Went on to do more chin-ups than usual, and do 5 complete sets with higher weight on barbell curls..

Thats good to hear, thanks ND.

I'll just stay the course then.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #512
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrwdslv View Post
Carry on as planned, if it happens again on the same exercises, drop the weight to a comfortable 5x5 (or whatever) and rework up.

It happens to all of us, tonight I could only do 285lbs 1x on my 1+.. and my 1RM is 300lbs.. sh*t happens. Went on to do more chin-ups than usual, and do 5 complete sets with higher weight on barbell curls..
Yep, this is what I do, continually, drop the weight back, work up the reps, then increase the load...repeat.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #513
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Yep, this is what I do, continually, drop the weight back, work up the reps, then increase the load...repeat.
So by those means is it often you go through this period I'm going through?

Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #514
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
So by those means is it often you go through this period I'm going through?
I do, yep...I don't consider it a problem...my theory is, that every time I step back and then progress forward...the next time I step back (with weight load, I mean), I end up going back to a load that was above the load before.

It's sort of a 2 steps forward, 1 step back scenario...which means you're continually, if slowly, still progressing forwards.

Plus, I do all my sessions by feel, so there is no set load to increase or at a set rate, just knowing when to push and when to back-off by listening to what's going on.

When you get stuck, you know you're stuck...that's when you back-off a bit...then when the weight that you backed-off to begins to get easy or easier for more reps, then you increase the load again but for fewer reps and repeat the process.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #515
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I do, yep...I don't consider it a problem...my theory is, that every time I step back and then progress forward...the next time I step back (with weight load, I mean), I end up going back to a load that was above the load before.

It's sort of a 2 steps forward, 1 step back scenario...which means you're continually, if slowly, still progressing forwards.

Plus, I do all my sessions by feel, so there is no set load to increase or at a set rate, just knowing when to push and when to back-off by listening to what's going on.

When you get stuck, you know you're stuck...that's when you back-off a bit...then when the weight that you backed-off to begins to get easy or easier for more reps, then you increase the load again but for fewer reps and repeat the process.

Right I see, thanks for the reply.

I can never really tell weather I'm genuinely stuck, or weather I've just had a bad session.
Though it appears it was just a bad session this time seen as the weight was fine last time.
I guess I'd know when I've totally stalled like you said.

I see what you mean with the 2 steps forward for one back thing. Makes sense, guess I'll be alright then!

Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #516
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,042, Level: 74 Points: 13,042, Level: 74 Points: 13,042, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Lurking
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

I think you're already set, but my comments....

Look at your day, prep, warm up, etc... a stressful day, changing the timing of food, the music, etc. can often upset your routine.

While it was probably just an off day going in, after your initial struggle, it sounds like it was also mental. It happens.

One time I went to the gym while home from college... I had been benching 225 for reps/sets at school and went to my old home gym to put up 205... I failed miserably, got pinned on an open bench without a spotter, had to spill the weights to each side and climb out. No one turned their head or helped, but it totally killed my mojo and I just left after having only done 2-3 total sets...

Deloading, resting, resetting, repeating...all work. You'll learn which one to use as you get more in tune with your biorhythms and training response.

The main thing, of course, is to not give up... you definitely get weaker, smaller, softer if you stop training!

Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #517
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,042, Level: 74 Points: 13,042, Level: 74 Points: 13,042, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Lurking
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Coincidentally.... just went to another journal and saw this...

Tannhauser is a very big, strong, experienced lifter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Went to the gym earlier than usual today (we've just started Summer hols). Felt tired and muzzy-headed. Also, I had to train in my thick winter track suit bottoms and a T shirt because I'd forgotten my kit.

Started off well with bench 120 (265) X 11, but by the time I'd got to 100 (221) in third set I'd run out of steam, only getting 12 reps. Same story for pull-ups. I had no strength left after the fast sets of back and was feeling vomititious, so did a few sets of curls and went home.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #518
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
I think you're already set, but my comments....

Look at your day, prep, warm up, etc... a stressful day, changing the timing of food, the music, etc. can often upset your routine.

While it was probably just an off day going in, after your initial struggle, it sounds like it was also mental. It happens.

One time I went to the gym while home from college... I had been benching 225 for reps/sets at school and went to my old home gym to put up 205... I failed miserably, got pinned on an open bench without a spotter, had to spill the weights to each side and climb out. No one turned their head or helped, but it totally killed my mojo and I just left after having only done 2-3 total sets...

Deloading, resting, resetting, repeating...all work. You'll learn which one to use as you get more in tune with your biorhythms and training response.

The main thing, of course, is to not give up... you definitely get weaker, smaller, softer if you stop training!

Right, I understand, thanks for that mate.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #519
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

This post is perhaps the most important one I've made. It marks some extreme realization!

BENCH PRESS - 5X5 - 55KG + 4LBS
Over the moon about this!
This is the heaviest I've ever lifted on the bench press, and not only does it mark a PR, this was the weight I could only squeeze out 1 set on last workout.
Just visualized myself lifting it and succeeding before hand, and I managed to do all 5 sets.
It'll seem like a feather of a weight for you guys, but for me this marks an awesome achievement.
SQUATS - 70KG - AVERAGE 24 REPS
Weird thing with the squats. Weird in a good way though.
This again is the heaviest I've ever lifted, and I managed more reps with it than I ever have on squats.
They've always averaged at about 16 reps before, but I got a maximum of 30 reps today, total average 24 or 25
Went well though, very pleased.
ONE ARM ROWS - 5X5 - 25KG
Not much to say on these, but they went better than expected. Will likely up the weight by a pound or two next time.
CHIN-UPS - 5X5 - BODY WEIGHT + 7.5KG
Weighted chins.
Went well, varied grips for each set.
CLOSE STAND PUSH-UPS - 5x5 - BODY WEIGHT + 15KG
Have decided to add pushups into the mix.
We're a great finisher. Similar feeling as dips. (Same motion I suppose)
Went well, had me sweating by the end!

This was mentiuoned before but I really saw it in action today.

There was a hic up last week where I couldn't lift weight I'd previously lifted.

All the other attempts at being on a lifting regime and diet have failed, because of that.

I took it as a stall, when in actuall fact its just part of the process, and I didn't see that.

After your kind words and reassurance, I took your advice, and it went great. I pushed it and it worked, lifted more than I ever have.

I made the mistake of thinking I was stalling, when in actual fact it was just all part of the process.

So thank you for your encouragement.

Realization has struck!

Anyway, was a great workout, really enjoyed it, really pleased.

Thanks for stopping by!

WEIGHT AND PHYSIQUE

Very pleased with the way I'm looking.

I'm putting on quality muscle, and its really making a visual difference, people are commenting all the time which is very encouraging.

I also feel as though I actually look leaner too, which is fantastic. The goal is to be muscular, lean and strong after all, and I feel I'm well on my way to reaching that goal.

I'm coming in at about 136 pounds now too.

My fat gain fear is going away. Thank you, all of you. I wouldn't be on my way if it wasn't for you.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #520
Cliffhanger
Cliffhanger
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 185, Level: 3 Points: 185, Level: 3 Points: 185, Level: 3
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Cliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributor

Great job Linden on everything. 1 thing however: are those 24 reps in 1 set for squats? Are you sure you are doing full squats? 24 reps is a WHOLE lot.
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook