Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

So with that taken into account should I aim for 1,1.5,or 2 pounds a month?
Logically, I shouldn't get fat. If I go with the heighest number at 2 pounds a month.
With 2 pounds a month, in 4 months I'll have gained 8 pounds, making me 131 pounds.
Hopefully I'd gain half and half muscle and fat.

131 pounds is still skinny for my age anyway, so really, I can't get fat. (maybe skinny fat, but hopefully bot seen as I'm gaining muscle too)

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 03-17-2013 at 03:02 PM.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,837, Level: 100 Points: 36,837, Level: 100 Points: 36,837, Level: 100
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Logically, I shouldn't get fat. If I go with the heighest number at 2 pounds a month.
With 2 pounds a month, in 4 months I'll have gained 8 pounds, making me 131 pounds.

131 pounds is still skinny for my age anyway, so really, I can't get fat. (maybe skinny fat, but hopefully bot seen as I'm gaining muscle too)
It won't happen like that. This is not an exact science because no two people are the same. Start off at 2500. If you don't gain weight, add a meal or a meal replacement shake. If you add too much fat, adjust for more protein and less carbs. Go forth and eat. If you're 131lbs right now, unless you're 5'0 don't stop until at least 180.

Oh and lift heavy stuff and get stronger. If you don't do this, you will just look sloppy and fat. If you get stronger and bigger, you are building muscle.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:

In addition to what's been said already, you have to take into account that the body tries to retain a balance or homeostasis and can easily (and does, from what I've read) burn off a good 400 cals to maintain a set-point, at any given time, it literally just burns the calories off with no exercise required etc.

People generally see that occurrence as a "sticking point" when it's nothing more than the body trying to remain where it's at, sometimes they take a while to breakthrough and sometimes they can be shifted through quite quickly but they can and do occurr either during fat loss or muscle gain. Hence, it's impossible to say an exact amount can be gained, or will be gained, at a regular interval for a set period.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,526, Level: 78 Points: 14,526, Level: 78 Points: 14,526, Level: 78
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I COMPLETELY disagree with eating 3k cals a day. That's 7k extra cals a week, which equates to gaining 2lb a week. There's NO WAY that you'll be gaining muscle fast enough to jusitify those numbers. Start conservatively. If your maintenance is 2k, then do 2200 to 2400 cals a day. At the end of the week, average out your calories so you have a specific number, and monitor your weight with weekly weighings. You can weigh more if you want, but ONLY your single weekly weighing, done every week under similiar conditions, should be used for adjusting your intake.

After a few weeks, take stock of where you are and average out your cals. I'd say that if you gain around 1lb every 2-3 weeks your doing well and won't have to worry as much about fat gain. If you aren't gaining, increase a little, but if your gaining 1lb a week or more your gaining too much fat in my opinion. If you're gaining more than 1 or 2lb every 3-4 weeks, lower your intake.

It's not really realistic to eat an exact number of cals every day, but it's still important to have an average to go off of after a certain amount of time.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
How do I structure my diet?
1985 calories is how much I need to maintain my current weight.
I highly doubt you maintain at this level. That aside, you are a teen. You should not be counting calories. You need to get strong and eat to satiety right now. If the scale isn't moving, eat a bit more.

Learning to listen to the needs of your body is a priority, not counting calories.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

So its safe to safe I can't really predict anything.
Which means I don't know weather I'm going to look crap when I go to Spain with this girl or not. :P
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Which means I don't know weather I'm going to look crap when I go to Spain with this girl or not. :P
If you're looking for short term results, you need to set that dream aside.

Focus on what you can control:

--Learning form.
--Progressing in the gym using the best exercises.
--Listening to your body and eating properly.

If you do this for 3-4 years you will have added plenty of muscle. That prediction will come to fruition.

All you can do is control the primary factors that create a good physique over time. There is no magic way to speed things up. You need to get a lot stronger than you are now. This takes time.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-17-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

A recap..

Via PM I recommended a minimum goal of 2500 per day, bumping it to a minimum of 3k per day if you're not gaining.

While I do not advocate calorie counting for teens, in this case I do advocate making sure you achieve a minimum because:

1) You weigh 125 pounds currently.
2) I do not believe you maintain at 1900. My guess is that you maintain well above that number.

Whatever the case may be, I do not believe you should be micromanaging calories. I do believe you should make sure you reach a minimum. It is easy for some folks to undereat and shoot their gains in the foot.

Eat until satiety, making sure you are not purposely undereating.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
You're way overthinking this and getting yourself bogged down in the process; you will look how you look, at that time, but as long as you exercise and eat sensibly, you will be moving forward...the body will adapt at it's own pace, whether someone tries to rush lean mass gain or fat loss, work with it and just enjoy your training...immerse yourself, and remember to enjoy your food, don't turn it into a chore, for some it has literally become the last straw and people have just stopped training because they feel they can't get their head around the food which isn't really that complicated a thing but can easily become that if you let it.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #20
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,526, Level: 78 Points: 14,526, Level: 78 Points: 14,526, Level: 78
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
A recap..

Via PM I recommended a minimum goal of 2500 per day, bumping it to a minimum of 3k per day if you're not gaining.

While I do not advocate calorie counting for teens, in this case I do advocate making sure you achieve a minimum because:

1) You weigh 125 pounds currently.
2) I do not believe you maintain at 1900. My guess is that you maintain well above that number.

Whatever the case may be, I do not believe you should be micromanaging calories. I do believe you should make sure you reach a minimum. It is easy for some folks to undereat and shoot their gains in the foot.

Eat until satiety, making sure you are not purposely undereating.
I guess I'm coming from a different perspective. I ate to satiety when I was a teen, and it left me quite obese. If I could go back I'd count calories like a maniac, but I gain fat with seemingly incomparable ease.

I do, however, stand by my suggestions about weighing to monitor results. 1 weekly planned weighing, at the same time every week, to monitor and adjust accordingly.

As for this whole Spain trip thing? Dude, you can't worry about things like that. Like Btb said, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Get stronger, eat enough to support growth, and get ready to be way ahead of everyone else in a few years.

Share with Facebook