Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,477, Level: 75 Points: 13,477, Level: 75 Points: 13,477, Level: 75
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member
Default Getting into gear

So I'm pretty committed to competing in powerlifting, and if I do something I prefer to go all in. I've been looking to get into entry level, single ply gear. So far I've seen a lot of good stuff on Titan, but I know getting into gear is a balancing act. I've read about guys who got into the more hardcore stuff but had trouble transitioning because of too much carryover.

I'm currently looking at the Titan F6 bench shirt and the Titan Centurion squat suit, but I'm not even close to commited to these. I'm interested in whatever will work for a beginner with gear but will also give me the most bang for my buck.

I already get almost 60lb on my bench just from a slingshot, so I'd love to see what I can get out of an actual bench shirt.

Also, would it be ok for me to deadlift in my squat suit? Just a shirt and a squat suit are already going to be a big investment for me at this point.

So, for you guys who compete in gear, what would you suggest for someone in my position?
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Also, do you wear briefs under single ply in competition?
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,493, Level: 90 Points: 20,493, Level: 90 Points: 20,493, Level: 90
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I'm on my phone right now, so I'll save the long reply for computer. F6 is a great starting shirt. Super centurion is the best single ply suit hands down. 99% of Feds do not allow briefs. If u pull sumo you can pull in the centurion no problem. Traditional, not sure.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
evilinmotion
evilinmotion
has no status.
Evil Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 18 (13 powerlifting)
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: MHP
My Mood: Lurking
evilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributor

Traditional DL in a Super centurion sucks at the begining...my first few ones in the gym with the straps up were a fail! when i finally figured out how to get down to the bar it was awesome, grab and get ready to pop up...

Type 2 Diabetic / A1C: 12.9% @ 07 Aug 2013
evilinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,169, Level: 100 Points: 36,169, Level: 100 Points: 36,169, Level: 100
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Having made the jump into gear last year I will start by saying that in my research and the guys that I have lifted with in gear, the Super Centurion is hands down the best suit out there. Most Feds don't allow briefs under the suit so don't bother with them.

Do you have access to equipped guys to train with? That will help you make the decision of what shirt to use. IMO shirts are harder to learn than the squat suits. Suits need a more precise form and very strong stability but shirts are just next level. Getting that bar to touch for the first time can be hellish. When I committed to going full ROM for the first time (more on this later) it took me 8 or 9 attempts over 2 sessions over 2 separate weeks with 180kgs (396lbs) to finally touch! Anyways back on point. If you have guys that train equipped, ask their advice. Knowing how to work a particular shirt is invaluable knowledge and will make more difference to your numbers than a better shirt without the guidance. That being said if you don't have access to equipped knowledge, I would recommend a new F6 or a used Super Katana. I went with a new Super Katana and it is an absolute beast of a shirt to get used to. You can do it, I did but it took a long time.

For deadlifts it depends on what stance you pull so more info needed there. Also gear gives you less advantage on pulls than the other 2 lifts.

I know you asked about gear choice but I also feel like there is advice that would have helped me in my transition. I'll be brief as I think this is already a short story of a post

- Get in your gear and get used to it but DON'T neglect your raw strength. You need both technique and raw power to get the most out of it.

- Be aware that some of your geared sessions will be tremendously frustrating. Gear can really throw you off and some sessions serve only to show you what doesn't work. Treat this as a lengthy process and focus on the end goal.

- With the shirt if you aren't used to board pressing then try to touch from your first session without them. You can still use boards but I wouldn't recommend using them exclusively.

- Lastly even if you can't regularly train with equipped lifters, find a crew within a fair drive and have a couple of sessions with them. I took days off work and drove 6 hours round trips to train with people like Faz but I learnt more in 2 hours there than I did in 2 months training alone or with people who didn't know the gear.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
IronWill
IronWill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
My Mood: Relaxed
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

Couple of questions: What does this term 'carryover' mean? And when you say briefs, I assume you don't mean Fruit of the Looms?
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,169, Level: 100 Points: 36,169, Level: 100 Points: 36,169, Level: 100

LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWill View Post
Couple of questions: What does this term 'carryover' mean? And when you say briefs, I assume you don't mean Fruit of the Looms?
Carryover is the difference between your raw lift and the equipped one. Briefs are just a suit without straps. See pictures below:

Briefs
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363519406.159452.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	7822

Suit
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363519431.093531.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	7823

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

IronWill- Carryover is how much the gear adds to your lift. Briefs are kind of like a squat suit without straps.

I pull conventional. I know it would probably be hard to get down there, but I'd probably just pull raw if I can't use the squat suit. My raw deadlift is much better than my squat anyways.

I don't know anyone who even LIFTS here, let alone someone who does powerlifting in gear. I've never even been to a powerlifting meet, or seen gear in person. I train alone in my garage.

Well, evidently I'll be looking more into the super centurion.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Like I said, I've got no guidance around here. I've got to get all my info online. I'm going to look more into the F6 or a used super katana along with the super centurion.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn

If you're lifting alone, here is a GREAT video for you:

http://youtu.be/9Jw_4C8n7I4

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Thanks ltl. Very informative. I already bench with safety rails, so no worries there. I have no interest in dying for a bench press.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook