Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Ultimate Newb Questions Thread

I want to post serious questions that newbies ask, and give them serious answers. Make this thread a reference point when newbs hop on board.

Ask questions that newbs would ask, and answer them.

Q1...I am 15, and am 5'7", and weigh 110 pounds. Can I bulk without gaining fat?

Q2...I am 15, and am 5'7", and weigh 210 pounds. Can I gain muscle and lose fat?

Q3...I am 5'10", and weigh 260 pounds. I have 12% bodyfat. My question is...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Q3...I am 5'10", and weigh 260 pounds. I have 12% bodyfat. My question is...
You do NOT have 12% bodyfat. That would mean you have a base lean muscle mass (weight minus fat) of 228.8 pounds. Pound for pound, this would make you much larger then Arnold Schwarzenegger. In fact, you would be a good candidate for the Mr. Olympia.

TRUTH...You have 160-170 pounds of lean muscle mass tops at that weight. Your bodyfat is more like 35 to 38%.

It doesn't matter how much your scale cost, or how fancy the online calculator was. You are NOT the biggest natural bodybuilder of all time.

Please, take a serious look in the mirror. If you dwarf Mike Mentzer is this picture, you may very well have 12% bodyfat.

If you still don't believe me, there is nothing we can do to help you here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M_%20Mentzer-HIT.jpg
Views:	2330
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	63  

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-22-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Crappy
Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Q2...I am 15, and am 5'7", and weigh 210 pounds. Can I gain muscle and lose fat?

A. yes you but the method will be dependent on your starting condition. generally the best answer here will be to take a few steps

1. clean up your diet, you know the gig
2. get on a well designed program
3. add in a little cardio first thing in the morning, or after your workouts

without more information i cant help beyond this
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Q1...I am 15, and am 5'7", and weigh 110 pounds. Can I bulk without gaining fat?
You are underweight. It's first best for you to eat your way to a normal weight, then assess your body composition. Made it a goal to hit 150 to 160 pounds.

If you're too obsessed about abs to eat, then we can't help you.

But if you DO hit 150 to 160, and train like a madman in the process, it will be much easier to see if you're an easy fat gainer, or easy muscle gainer.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

BTW, just because one of us answers a question, don't let that stop any of you from providing your own slant on the question...

Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Max Brawn

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
No, you will always gain a little fat with the muscle, but really you need to get over this fear,yes you can keep your fat level under control, but your main priority should be to gain as much size as possible

No Bullshit no problems

Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Q4..I've been lifting for 2 weeks. Is my 6 day split good? I start with flyes...

Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Q4..I've been lifting for 2 weeks. Is my 6 day split good? I start with flyes...
No. You're overtraining.

For a newb, isolation exercises are not allowed. Nor are 6 day splits. Train 3 days a week, preferably fullbody, and master the basic lifts.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
No. You're overtraining.

For a newb, isolation exercises are not allowed. Nor are 6 day splits. Train 3 days a week, preferably fullbody, and master the basic lifts.
yeah that was right there next to "thou shalt not kill" on the 10 commandments right

No Bullshit no problems

Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #10
moore_716
moore_716
has no status.
Banned
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,016, Level: 17 Points: 1,016, Level: 17 Points: 1,016, Level: 17
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

My Mood: Confused
moore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammer

Q5I just started lifting a weeks ago. Why don't I see a change? I am doing the same exercises all the big guys at the gym do.

My answer (my experience) It's easy to read a magazine and watch people do this or that for a certain body part. The hardest thing about making gains is actually knowing what it feels like when you really hit the muscle. That and doing things in different orders will affect my first statement.

I may babble here. These are my own experiences and others may disagree, but this is what I've learned over the years. first it's not about the weight. Do light weight at first so you can feel the muscles burn yu are trying to hit. If yuo go to a gym and watch 10 people do lat pulldowns all 10 will do it differently most likely. I do mine in a way that I can feel it working my lats. I also do biceps first so that I don't cheat as much with my arms. I have been lifting for a long time now and have gotten stronger. So I now user heavy weights. I know how to user the weights to stil hit my target muscle in when cheating though.
moore_716 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook