Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Dray
Dray
is getting stronger
Max Brawn
Points: 9,381, Level: 65 Points: 9,381, Level: 65 Points: 9,381, Level: 65
Activity: 80% Activity: 80% Activity: 80%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: cgbp
Fav Supp: rare steak
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member
Default Should every lifter be doing any of these things?

Static stretching, foam rolling, warmup cardio like rowing/treadmills (etc.), cold baths/showers, using ice...

And all the other prehab things I see around.

One of the reasons I ask is that I've managed to tweak (hopefully not injure) what is probably a hip flexor, and I don't do any of those things. I've been squatting since I began this journey, and have done more weight than the set that this happened in, I warmup up (with lighter squat sets) like I always do, was trying to be aware of form (as always)... so it was a bit strange that is suddenly happened, last week.

But could it still be a lack of prehab work, and yeah, while I'm asking, the main question is, should every lifter (or particular lifters?) do any of those things? Is it just a good idea in general?
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Shorts
Shorts
is chasing Elite!
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,793, Level: 38 Points: 3,793, Level: 38 Points: 3,793, Level: 38
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
My Mood: Inspired
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

I was the same way before, I always warmed up well before my training but I have always been bad about stretching and foam rolling after to keep everything loose.

In my opinion, stretching and prehab are amazing tools to keep your body working correctly. When you let those things go, even though you might be making progress and feeling good, you could be breaking down in certain areas and not know until it gets injured (just like what happened to you).

I know people have busy lives and it is easy to say that you'll get to it later, but after injuring myself and then putting in a stretching regiment I see why I injured myself by not taking care of my body in that way. It is something every lifter (and person in general) should be aware of and make a part of their everyday routine.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,628, Level: 75 Points: 13,628, Level: 75 Points: 13,628, Level: 75
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

For the record, I'm bad about that stuff too. I do a little dynamic stretching to warm up, then just work up from lighter weights. I should probably start thinking more about that stuff.

I probably won't though.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Dray
Dray
is getting stronger
Max Brawn
Points: 9,381, Level: 65 Points: 9,381, Level: 65 Points: 9,381, Level: 65
Activity: 80% Activity: 80% Activity: 80%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: cgbp
Fav Supp: rare steak
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
For the record, I'm bad about that stuff too. I do a little dynamic stretching to warm up, then just work up from lighter weights. I should probably start thinking more about that stuff.

I probably won't though.
I'm familiar with that perspective, for sure, heh.

Had any major injuries from lifting? Not wanting to be intrusive - don't need details or anything. Just curious, and also as to whether you believe any of them (if you've had any) could've been avoided via prehab. Which, true, would probably be annoying (for you) if you did believe that... but still.

Last edited by Dray; 03-06-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,134, Level: 96 Points: 26,134, Level: 96 Points: 26,134, Level: 96
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I struggle with warmup and foam rolling. Though I found out, the hard way, of the benefits of both. I would encourage a good warm up and the occasional foam or tennis ball rolling, especially the glutes and hams (for frequent squatters). Hmmm, just gave me a good idea for an article, I need to start working on that. Thanks.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
glift
glift
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 160, Level: 3 Points: 160, Level: 3 Points: 160, Level: 3
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

glift is off to a bad start

I am just starting to lift. I have never heard of foam rolling. I guess maybe it would be beneficial to look up. Just another reason that this site is paying off.
glift is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 12,925, Level: 74 Points: 12,925, Level: 74 Points: 12,925, Level: 74
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Yeehaw
jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Static stretching, foam rolling, warmup cardio like rowing/treadmills (etc.), cold baths/showers, using ice...
yes with the exception of pre-work out static stretching.

Static stretching "weakens" a muscle temporarily...not a good idea before strength training....more dynamic warm ups are better.

Save static stretching for off-days or before bed, etc.

Quote:
One of the reasons I ask is that I've managed to tweak (hopefully not injure) what is probably a hip flexor, and I don't do any of those things. I've been squatting since I began this journey, and have done more weight than the set that this happened in, I warmup up (with lighter squat sets) like I always do, was trying to be aware of form (as always)... so it was a bit strange that is suddenly happened, last week.
Yeah, I herniated 2 discs using a less than maximum weight... bad form and tight hips...bad combo!

Quote:
But could it still be a lack of prehab work, and yeah, while I'm asking, the main question is, should every lifter (or particular lifters?) do any of those things? Is it just a good idea in general?
The pre-hab and recovery stuff is important and will become more iimportant as you age.
"If you're not taking any risks, don't expect any rewards."
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,628, Level: 75 Points: 13,628, Level: 75 Points: 13,628, Level: 75
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
I'm familiar with that perspective, for sure, heh.

Had any major injuries from lifting? Not wanting to be intrusive - don't need details or anything. Just curious, and also as to whether you believe any of them (if you've had any) could've been avoided via prehab. Which, true, would probably be annoying (for you) if you did believe that... but still.
I've had my share of little tweaks and strains, but nothing even close to a major injury from powerlifting. Now, olympic lifting, on the other hand...in high school I had multiple injuries including a smashed finger tip (they don't do well when they get pinned between a safety rack and 200lb falling from 3') and a broken wrist that left me wearing a cast for my senior football season and pushed me out of the gym for years later.

Then again, I don't lift enough weight to really mess me up that much, unless you're talking deadlift. To be honest, I was pretty scared when I pulled 500 a couple months ago. I know that those kind of numbers can mess you up, but holy crap, it sure was a thrill!

I did foam rolling for a little while. It felt great after I was done, but I don't really think any of that is a true requirement. I do PT almost every morning with my fellow soldiers. It's not intense PT, but we start with dynamic stretching, then we get out there and move. The biggest thing we do is also the simplest; we get down on the ground, then get back up. Then we do it over and over again. We get on our backs and do ab stuff, then we get up again. We get down and do pushups, then we get back up again. NOTHING keeps your hips healthy like just getting down on the ground and getting back up repeatedly. I also spend plenty of my day standing.

But I don't consider that prehap. I consider that using my body for it's intended purpose. People sit in chairs all day and never even THINK about getting on the ground, then try to stretch and do "prehab" for 10 minutes before lifting heavy, then wonder why they get injured.

Anyways, I'll get off my high horse now. I've tried alternating hot/cold showers, and it didn't seem to do anything but keep me from enjoying my showers. I did foam rolling, and probably still would if I could find the damn thing after we moved. I love a good static stretch when I'm sore as hell, and as I continue to get stronger/age I'll keep bringing more of this into my routine, but I don't stress about it.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I've had more injuries from vaccuuming, maybe I should start a warm-up routine for it

I tend to make sure I warm-up the shoulders by getting lots of blood to them but other than that I don't follow any specific stretch routines, unless you count a touch of daily yoga. Tweaks and injuries can happen even with the best of intentions, warming up may or may not prevent them but warming-up and cooling down is good anyway, regardless of whether it helps (maybe) avoid injury.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
getripped95
getripped95
has no status.
Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Serious Mass
My Mood: Yeehaw
getripped95 is new to the forumgetripped95 is new to the forum

Quote:

And all the other prehab things I see around.

Basically it depends on you and the trainer. My trainer advises me to do sit-ups, pull-ups, push ups and some jumping and flexing just to free up the body. So it depends on you or your trainer. Also if you are concentrating on losing weight then you might choose to do cardio as a warm-up because after weight you will be doing cardio again. So that depends on what strategy you are using and whether you want to bulk up or lose weight.
getripped95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook