Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

No, but squeezing your abs doesn't mean you suck them in, I think what Titan is saying is that you suck in air, then you tighten your abs, but you are actually expanding the lower part of them. Try it sitting in your chair. Get your abs tight, but don't pull your abs "in". Just make them get really tight and you sort of feel them expand, especially lower down.

And yes, he does mean when you unrack it. It's a bad habit to get into to lever it up with your back. As the weight gets heavier, it's just extra strain on a group of muscles that don't need any extra strain considering the beating they take inherently with just normal lifting.

The thing about getting your elbows down is so that you get your chest up. I believe that's what he means by you being a little rounded over. Your chest is up sorta when you start, but gets lower each rep. With the bar in the rack, set your hands, then force your elbows straight down and feel your chest lift and expand. That is what you want and you want it to stay that way. The higher your elbows, the harder it is to stay chest up and the tougher the lift.

As for your feet, it looks like you toes are pointing wider than your knees, but your knees are out plenty to get depth and allow you to sit in between them. So just bring your toes in so they track equally, knees pointing same way and out over toes. However, if you like your feet that way and it feels right, that is maybe a minor concern. If you start feeling knee pain, though because your knees aren't at the same angle as your toes, then get them in line.

Squats look good overall. These are things you can do to make them a little better possibly. Keep playing with this stuff and finds what works for you though.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
has alien fiberz
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 11,573, Level: 70 Points: 11,573, Level: 70 Points: 11,573, Level: 70
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion! Cat Batting Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Yeehaw
jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
No, but squeezing your abs doesn't mean you suck them in, I think what Titan is saying is that you suck in air, then you tighten your abs, but you are actually expanding the lower part of them. Try it sitting in your chair. Get your abs tight, but don't pull your abs "in". Just make them get really tight and you sort of feel them expand, especially lower down.

Dr. Stuart McGill, PhD calls that "core bracing"

Core Stabilization Strategies: Abdominal Hollowing vs. Bracing

Strengthen Your Core and Loosen Your Hamstrings | Chad Waterbury | Workouts To Get Ripped, Ab Exercises For Men, Weight Training For Women

"Trust the process."
"Just get stronger, you bunch of knuckleheads."
- Steve Shaw, MaB Founder
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 AM   #13
fabio
fabio
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 184, Level: 3 Points: 184, Level: 3 Points: 184, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

fabio is off to a bad start

okay thanks got it, will try again tomorrow
fabio is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #14
TitanCT
TitanCT
throwing iron and eating pizza.
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Mood: Aggressive
TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio View Post
and suck in and squeeze your abs

I thought I am supposed to breath into my belly instead of sucking it in, is that wrong?

when you stand up with the bar on your back, get your feet under you more, stand straight up, dont use your lower back to lever it up

do you mean when I unrack it?
you can pull in your abs, tighten them and still breath into your belly. you need to make your upperbody as sturdy and solid as you can when you squat. is the point.

and yes. i meant when you get the bar off the rack. get your feet under you dont lever the weight back, it wont be fun when you get to bigger weight.

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Learn.Apply.Grow

www.advancedmusclescience.com

ForeRunnerLabs
www.forerunnerlabs.com/

The Lab
www.advancedmusclesciencelab.com//

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook