Low man on the totem pole
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Amateur Surgeon Champion!
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: A heavy one.
My Mood: Inspired
PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

Nice work Al. Good stuff all up in here. I have a question really quick. Why the neutral head position?
PhillyDev is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #462
Hunterace
Hunterace
is mental!!!
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 17,262, Level: 83 Points: 17,262, Level: 83 Points: 17,262, Level: 83
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Thanks guys.

DEADLIFTS

Foam roll upper and lower body

Deadlifts
Double overhand grip
60kgs x 10
100kgs x 6
Hook grip
140kgs x 1
160kgs x 1
Add suit bottoms and belt
160kgs x 1
185kgs x 1
Straps up
205kgs x 1
217.5kgs x 1
230kgs x 1
230kgs x stumble over backwards, drop the bar, reset and ugly out a rep

Lat pulldowns
55kgs x 10
60kgs x 10
65kgs x 10
70kgs x 10

Cable Abs
7plates x 30, 30

Hammer curls
10kgs x15 double handed, 15 cross body

Decent session. I washed the suit and it made getting down to the bar very hard. Not impossible but hard to find a good spot. Next week I will suit up again and hit multiple singles at 210kgs or so to break it in some more.

Assistance wasn't too taxing again as I felt ready to sleep after deadlifts. Here's the video:

Deadlifts - YouTube
Great work Al! Strong pullin! What happened on that one, hand or hands slip or give out? Or something feel off? Strong session all around bud! Smash away!!!

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...734#post494734
Hunterace is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #463
shanechurch
shanechurch
loves lifting heavy
Powerlifter
Brawn
Points: 308, Level: 6 Points: 308, Level: 6 Points: 308, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 6-7 Years
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: SD Pharma Creatine HCL
My Mood: Happy
shanechurch has made some quality postsshanechurch has made some quality postsshanechurch has made some quality postsshanechurch has made some quality postsshanechurch has made some quality postsshanechurch has made some quality postsshanechurch has made some quality posts

Hey Al!

nice work, good grind on that last deadlift

It looked to me like you took a lot of time setting up on the the lift you missed, it took 16 seconds from the time you put your hands to the time you started pulling... so my guess is that you were gassed/out of air before you start your pull!

way to battle the second one!
shanechurch is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 AM   #464
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,543, Level: 100 Points: 36,543, Level: 100 Points: 36,543, Level: 100
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanechurch View Post
Hey Al!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDev View Post
Nice work Al. Good stuff all up in here. I have a question really quick. Why the neutral head position?
Thanks P. I tried to pull with a more upright head position and it felt really unnatural to me. My form is still a work in progress but a neutral noggin seems to work OK for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterace View Post
Great work Al! Strong pullin! What happened on that one, hand or hands slip or give out? Or something feel off? Strong session all around bud! Smash away!!!
Thanks Jay. On the miss I had my weight too far backwards and stumbled back. Almost fell over with the bar on top of me

nice work, good grind on that last deadlift

It looked to me like you took a lot of time setting up on the the lift you missed, it took 16 seconds from the time you put your hands to the time you started pulling... so my guess is that you were gassed/out of air before you start your pull!

way to battle the second one!
I think you're right. I was trying to get comfortable at the bottom when I think I just need to realise that nothing is comfortable in a deadlift suit and just sack up and pull the damned thing
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #465
markievicz
markievicz
is a Squataholic
Max Brawn
Points: 12,812, Level: 73 Points: 12,812, Level: 73 Points: 12,812, Level: 73
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
My Mood: Lurking
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Just when I think I might be closing the gap
Nice work Al, are you planning to back off on things now until the meet?

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2013, 03:06 AM   #466
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,543, Level: 100 Points: 36,543, Level: 100 Points: 36,543, Level: 100

LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
Just when I think I might be closing the gap
Nice work Al, are you planning to back off on things now until the meet?
Thanks buddy but remember I pulled that by being a big, far cheater in my deadlift suit

I won't pull anything that heavy from the floor now. Plan for next week is to pull 210 for singles to break in the suit more and loosen it up and then overload with block pulls to feel heavier weight in my hands.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #467
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Nice Vlog. I thought you had gas, but realized it was the "wind"

J/K, Good stuff Al!

And how much does a deadlift suit really add? I mean if it was much, JB would be a better deadlifter! Haha. Badaboom.

Just a thought, but as you pull you seem to get a bit rounded over in the low back, even with lower weights. I think that leads to a tougher lockout which is your main concern. I mention this as I recently had an epiphany where I kind of push my hips back and tilt my hips a bit down arching my lower back more, Tate calls it putting your d**k on the bar. That not only brought my chest up, but it allowed me to get my hips through like I was cleaning the bar. In fact, I think you should do some cleans to get that hip action to be automatic.

You're ridiculous strong off the floor, lockout seems to be the issue. If your low back is tighter, your hips move easier in my opinion.

Just a thought. Cheers.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 05-15-2013 at 10:41 PM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #468
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Nice Vlog. I thought you had gas, but realized it was the "wind"

J/K, Good stuff Al!

And how much does a deadlift suit really add? I mean if it was much, JB would be a better deadlifter! Haha. Badaboom.

Just a thought, but as you pull you seem to get a bit rounded over in the low back, even with lower weights. I think that leads to a tougher lockout which is your main concern. I mention this as I recently had an epiphany where I kind of push my hips back and tilt my hips a bit down arching my lower back more, Tate calls it putting your d**k on the bar. That not only brought my chest up, but it allowed me to get my hips through like I was cleaning the bar. In fact, I think you should do some cleans to get that hip action to be automatic.

You're ridiculous strong off the floor, lockout seems to be the issue. If your low back is tighter, your hips move easier in my opinion.

Just a thought. Cheers.
Thanks Mike and you're right; if I could get my hips further back and down my lockout would be stronger as my shoulders would be in a better position to get behind the bar. Problem is that the trade off is less speed off the floor... TBH I have never really spent long enough trying to nail that technique to see if I could overcome the slower start. After this meet I have some interesting plans for my deadlift. The frequent pulling has taught me firstly that I CAN handle it and secondly that it improves my form. I need to add some more assistance to fix weaknesses I have and I also plan on really giving the hook grip a run as I feel much more natural without a mixed grip. Cleans and snatch grip pulls will form part of my assistance I think and should help overall. Dropping the weight while I learn hook grip may give me the opportunity to work on a more Olympic style starting position as well. All good food for thought. Thanks.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #469
ravimolasaria
ravimolasaria
Wanted to be as strong as a polar bear ...
Max Brawn
Points: 26,514, Level: 97 Points: 26,514, Level: 97 Points: 26,514, Level: 97
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
My Mood: Yeehaw
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Deadlifts
Double overhand grip
60kgs x 10 100kgs x 6
Hook grip
140kgs x 1 160kgs x 1
Add suit bottoms and belt
160kgs x 1 185kgs x 1
Straps up
205kgs x 1 217.5kgs x 1 230kgs x 1 230kgs x stumble over backwards, drop the bar, reset and ugly out a rep

Lat pulldowns
55kgs x 10 60kgs x 10 65kgs x 10 70kgs x 10

Cable Abs
7plates x 30, 30

Hammer curls
10kgs x15 double handed, 15 cross body
Superb lifting big Al ... 230kg is HUGE wt. ... keep up the great work buddy ...

Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #470
shanechurch
shanechurch
loves lifting heavy
Powerlifter
Brawn
Points: 308, Level: 6 Points: 308, Level: 6 Points: 308, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 6-7 Years
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: SD Pharma Creatine HCL
My Mood: Happy
shanechurch has made some quality postsshanechurch has made some quality postsshanechurch has made some quality postsshanechurch has made some quality postsshanechurch has made some quality postsshanechurch has made some quality postsshanechurch has made some quality posts

Sweet! The oly lifts are more fun to do I find. The only thing about their starting position is that it's hard to get there in gear
shanechurch is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook