Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
waygookin
waygookin
has no status.
Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

waygookin is off to a bad start
Default Workout advice

If this is in the wrong section I apologize and please feel free to move . I checked for a noob section but did not see it.

I am going to start eating at a 500 cal surplus to gain weight. I have time to go to the gym 3 days a week. The workout I am thinking of is full body each time. (mwf)

So it would be bench, pullups, shoulder press, row, hang clean, tri, bi, leg extension and curl, calf raises. I would like to be in and out in about an hr. I am thinking of doing 5x5.

I have two herniated discs in my back and thus I do not want to deadlift or squat. (even though those are my two favs ) So does this sound ok or am I just totally ignorant? I have been researching and trying to figure out the best 3 day split. Should I drop tri/bi and add more bench? Should I skip 5x5 and dor 4x8 or something? I will prob be on a surplus for 4 months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also note I am coming back to the gym after about 5 months off. Thank you.
waygookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,469,713, Level: 100 Points: 1,469,713, Level: 100 Points: 1,469,713, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

This was posted in the wrong thread and just now found it. Not sure if the advice is still needed.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

You need some good leg exercises (not leg extensions). There are many that are back-friendly. . .

Examples:
Single leg squats, lunges, step-ups, belt squats, sled, prowler, and assorted machines.

But I still say that a strong back is a healthy back, and squats and deads are the most efficient way there.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook