Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #971
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyLeon View Post
Hey:

Are there risks associated in deadlifting if you hover the weight above the ground when returning the weight to the floor (Even when keeping form good). I.e. instead of dropping the weight to the ground, you come to about mid shin level before pulling back up
I am 6ft 2, its a bit of an ass on my knee joints to keep lifting it off the ground even with good form
This can increase the strain on the lower back. It's close to a stiff leg deadlift or Romanian deadlift, you would are likely hanging out over the weight and not keeping your back tight.

I do now recommend deadlifting like this.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #972
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD85 View Post
Dear BBOD,

I just started watching your channel and was hoping you could help me. I'm doing a modified 5x5 program and have gained muscle and strength, but my quads are lagging compared to other bodyparts. I'm doing front squats about twice a week, and despite the weight going up my legs (especially quads) aren't growing as well as my upper body. What do you recommend I do? By the way I only have access to free weights.
Hi JD,

How long have you been lifting, what are your front squat numbers, and do you also squat?

Also what is your current height and weight?

Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #973
MightyLeon
MightyLeon
has no status.
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

MightyLeon is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
This can increase the strain on the lower back. It's close to a stiff leg deadlift or Romanian deadlift, you would are likely hanging out over the weight and not keeping your back tight.

I do now recommend deadlifting like this.
Thank you for your reply. Do you have any tips on how to do conventional dead-lifts correctly when being relatively tall? Right now my dead-lift is only at 308lb so its a real good job I asked for your advice before pursuing any further. I'm a big fan of your youtube videos, and once more thank you for sharing your wisdom.
MightyLeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #974
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. Do you have any tips on how to do conventional dead-lifts correctly when being relatively tall? Right now my dead-lift is only at 308lb so its a real good job I asked for your advice before pursuing any further. I'm a big fan of your youtube videos, and once more thank you for sharing your wisdom.
Steve will get around to this but I just wanted to throw a couple of things in there.

Where you've been doing the deadlift and not going all the way to the floor, you might be able to use blocks, pulling from blocks will allow you to choose the ROM that suits, if it's due to knees causing the issue at the lower ROM end.

Also, tall lifters sometimes seem to favour the sumo deadlift which you may prefer over the conventional style.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #975
jemag
jemag
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
jemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good posts

Hey Steve,

before I asking a question I just want to thank you for all the time and dedication you put in answering the questions here, it is a great help for a lot of people.

My question: I am trying to take better care of my shoulders and as a part of that I would like to incorporate face pulls into my program as I heard a lot of great things about it. I am currently doing Wendler 5/3/1 with those 2 upper body days :

Day 1
3 sets of Wendler Bench
3x10 close grip bench
4x5-8 pull ups variations
some bicep isolation work

Day 2
3 sets of wendler bench
3x10 arnold presses
4x5-8 pull ups variations
bicep and tricep isolation work

Well first of all, do you think adding face pulls is a good idea? If so, is it ok to put it in both my upper body days or should I only put it in 1 of them and for how many sets/reps?

Also for the technique of the exercise itself some people seem to be pulling more toward their neck and others more toward their forehead. Does this video demonstrate the correct technique?:

Thanks a lot for your time, and if you have any other suggestion for shoulder health in general they are also welcomed.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #976
JD85
JD85
has no status.
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

JD85 is new to the forumJD85 is new to the forumJD85 is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hi JD,

How long have you been lifting, what are your front squat numbers, and do you also squat?

Also what is your current height and weight?
I've lifted on and off for a few years. But I've been very consistent with 5x5 the last 2-3 months and my strength is going up. I started with just the bar and today am at 180x5 for front squat. I know that's not a lot, but I make sure to at least hit parallel and have been adding 5-10lbs every week. I'm a tall lifter (6'4) so getting to parallel can be a challenge.

I can do regular squats, but being 6'4 and with long limbs/torso I just find front squatting to be more comfortable. When I lift progressively and eat enough it's not hard to put on size. It's just my upper body has blown up compared to my legs, and I dread looking like a Captain Upper-Body.
JD85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #977
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Sure, you can check the form critique thread:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6899

That has tons of good info on all the lifts.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #978
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemag View Post
Hey Steve,

before I asking a question I just want to thank you for all the time and dedication you put in answering the questions here, it is a great help for a lot of people.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Well first of all, do you think adding face pulls is a good idea?
Yes, but I do think many lifters undertrain the shoulders and back while focusing a lot on the bench. My advice is to use lifting straps when rowing and make sure you get your barbell and/or dumbbell rows as strong as possible.

A strong and balanced upper body focus will help the shoulders.

Quote:
Also for the technique of the exercise itself some people seem to be pulling more toward their neck and others more toward their forehead. Does this video demonstrate the correct technique?
Looks right. The elbows drive back. Here is an Elite video that looks the same. I am certain you pull towards your eyes and nose. (face)

Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #979
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD85 View Post
But I've been very consistent with 5x5 the last 2-3 months and my strength is going up.
Excellent.

Quote:
I started with just the bar and today am at 180x5 for front squat.
Good progress. My main advice is to keep at it. 2-3 months isn't a long time. It will take 2-3 years to put some quality size on.

I suggest measuring your quads every 2 months so you have a measuring stick as to how things are going. If you are not seeing a consistent size increase these are some likely reasons:

1) You need more leg volume.
2) You need more food.

Because your upper body is growing, I am wagering that you need more stimulation.

I would add in leg presses.

You might want to modify your 5x5 to an A/B split an alternate between front squats and leg presses. I would also increase the front squat reps to 8 to 10 per set. Something like:

Workout A - Front squat 4-5 sets x 8-10 reps
Workout B - Leg press 4-5 sets x 15-20 reps

Also, you didn't mention your weight.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #980
donaldbell8
donaldbell8
Lift or die
Points: 140, Level: 2 Points: 140, Level: 2 Points: 140, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 18 years off and on
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Beast mode
My Mood: Yeehaw
donaldbell8 is new to the forumdonaldbell8 is new to the forumdonaldbell8 is new to the forum

First and foremost I would stop deadliting over 90%. Second, I would consider reducing your floor pulling. Perhaps a 3 week cycle:

Week one - 3" block deadlifts
Week two - Low rack pulls and power shrug combo
Week three - Floor deadlifts up to around 90%

When your week 3 deadlift feels manageable, add 5 pounds the next time. This seems like slow progression, but it's not for the stage you are at. It focuses you to add weight when it feels appropriate.

I would try this and see how your back feels.

Thank you Steve week one down and a lot less pain. It's bad ass to dead lift again after I jacked my self up and not want to be dead.
donaldbell8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook