Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #961
Jasa
Jasa
has no status.
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Jasa is off to a bad start

Hey man, I'm 19 years old and I've been into "somewhat serious" powerlifting for about a year (my best squat is 440 lbs with wraps @ 198 lbs bw). The thing is, I'd like to ask if using knee wraps on all work sets (75-80%+ of 1RM) doesn't diminish strength gains (my warmups are all raw / with belt). It's just that I feel much more confident with knee wraps on when squatting + ofc I can squat heavier weight.

So basically the question is: Does squatting with knee wraps on 80%+ 1RM work sets diminish strength / muscle gains or is it even better than squatting raw (more weight squatted -> more muscle / strength gain) ? I get that knee muscles (or tendons, not sure) won't get stronger since wraps are basically doing the job for them, but that doesn't really concern me, since I compete under IPF (geared, single ply fed) so I have knee wraps in competitions.

Thanks for your answer, appreciate it.
Jasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #962
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
Dear BBOD ,
What is your opinion of the RPE scale? Is it useful for progression? I saw this video by Ice Cream Fitness where he basically details how he trains and how others can train for there strength and aesthetic goals without a program.
There are many variations on this same theme. I push every set until I feel like I might fail on the next rep. When I am doing heavy, advanced work, I add 5 pounds when a weight feels manageable.

RPE is just a fancy way of quantifying set difficulty. It's nothing I care for, but if it works, use it.

I don't believe in training without a program. I don't have time to watch Jason's video, but I will say that 99% of lifters need structure so they have defined goals. It's hard enough for the average lifter to make gains as it is.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-19-2013 at 11:04 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #963
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasa View Post
The thing is, I'd like to ask if using knee wraps on all work sets (75-80%+ of 1RM) doesn't diminish strength gains (my warmups are all raw / with belt). It's just that I feel much more confident with knee wraps on when squatting + ofc I can squat heavier weight.

So basically the question is: Does squatting with knee wraps on 80%+ 1RM work sets diminish strength / muscle gains or is it even better than squatting raw (more weight squatted -> more muscle / strength gain) ?
Hi Jasa,

No, they do not diminish gains. I believe they increase productivity. I pick up far fewer strains with them, so I can train better week in and weak out.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #964
Simonb26189
Simonb26189
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12

Fav Exercise: Gorilla Beast Press
Simonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good start

Hi Steve i'm back again to pick your brains once more!

Do rest periods matter in the gym? A friend of mine told me that i wait too long inbetween sets (about 2 minutes) and he said that i have to shorten the rest periods to build muscle optimally, to which i counter-argued that my goal was to get as many reps out in a set with a heavy weight as possible (8-12) and this rest time range allows me to do that because everytime i shorten it i end up losing reps and all i gained was more sweat on my shirt!

I've always believed that more reps>higher intensity but who is right in this argument?

Cheers
Simonb26189 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #965
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonb26189 View Post
Hi Steve i'm back again to pick your brains once more!

Do rest periods matter in the gym? A friend of mine told me that i wait too long inbetween sets (about 2 minutes) and he said that i have to shorten the rest periods to build muscle optimally, to which i counter-argued that my goal was to get as many reps out in a set with a heavy weight as possible (8-12) and this rest time range allows me to do that because everytime i shorten it i end up losing reps and all i gained was more sweat on my shirt!

I've always believed that more reps>higher intensity but who is right in this argument?

Cheers
When you are doing intense work (heavy sets), you don't want to limit rest, thus increasing the likelihood that your exercise form will go to heck.

When you are doing rep work, you can train both ways: restricting rest or natural rest periods. Either way works fine as long as progression of weight is involved.

Your friend is wrong, because rest restriction is NOT needed for growth. It's a training preference, not a training necessity.

If you like 8-12 rep sets, then stick with them and focus on maximizing every set for as many reps as possible. Ignore this guy. He's latched onto something he believes is the magic secret and he's wrong.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-19-2013 at 10:33 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #966
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

This thread reminds me of asking a question in this scenario. If we could get the Bearded Beast's head on one of these we would be set.

Ask the Bearded Beast.

glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #967
TobesLCFC
TobesLCFC
cutting
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
There are many variations on this same theme. I push every set until I feel like I might fail on the next rep. When I am doing heavy, advanced work, I add 5 pounds when a weight feels manageable.

RPE is just a fancy was of quantify set difficulty. It's nothing I care for, but if it works, use it.

I don't believe in training without a program. I don't have time to watch Jason's video, but I will say that 99% of lifters need structure so they have defined goals. It's hard enough for the average lifter to make gains as it is.
Thanks for explaining that. Your method is a lot easier to understand and implement. Also , what is non linear periodisation? I think you mentioned it in a video as being good for bodybuilding.

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." – Socrates

"I never saved anything for the swim back."

"Compound exercises, kids! Compound exercises!"
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #968
MightyLeon
MightyLeon
has no status.
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

MightyLeon is off to a bad start

Hey:

Are there risks associated in deadlifting if you hover the weight above the ground when returning the weight to the floor (Even when keeping form good). I.e. instead of dropping the weight to the ground, you come to about mid shin level before pulling back up
I am 6ft 2, its a bit of an ass on my knee joints to keep lifting it off the ground even with good form
MightyLeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #969
JD85
JD85
has no status.
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

JD85 is new to the forumJD85 is new to the forumJD85 is new to the forum
Default Quads lagging

Dear BBOD,

I just started watching your channel and was hoping you could help me. I'm doing a modified 5x5 program and have gained muscle and strength, but my quads are lagging compared to other bodyparts. I'm doing front squats about twice a week, and despite the weight going up my legs (especially quads) aren't growing as well as my upper body. What do you recommend I do? By the way I only have access to free weights.
JD85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #970
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
Thanks for explaining that. Your method is a lot easier to understand and implement. Also , what is non linear periodisation? I think you mentioned it in a video as being good for bodybuilding.
It's basically flip flopping between heavy weeks or workouts and lighter weeks/workouts. It can also be a heavy, light, medium cycle, and so on.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook