Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #931
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,480,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,480,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,480,642, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilist View Post
Hi,
If I can bench press 200lbs for 3 reps, is it better to go slightly under this weight to get out 5 to 6 reps and add weight when i can get 7 to 8 reps out? I am 45 and have been training for 2 years and weigh 170. I have only recently started training in the lower rep ranges.
For the 1st year i always trained 8-10 reps to failure, which i now know is bad. I tried 200 last week for the 1st time and got 2 reps, so i've made a 1 rep improvement. Would i be better with the weight set at 195, perhaps, considering my training experience?
I would recommend sticking with 5+ reps. Drop it to 180 and aim for 8+ reps. When you can reach that level, add 5 pounds and keep crawling up the ladder.

Failure isn't needed. Just stop when you think you might fail on the next rep. This will crate maximal progress without the possible downsides of training to failure.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #932
nihilist
nihilist
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

nihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good start

Thanks for the speedy reply beast. Best videos and advice on the net. Period!
nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #933
data790
data790
has no status.
Points: 330, Level: 6 Points: 330, Level: 6 Points: 330, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

data790 is new to the forumdata790 is new to the forumdata790 is new to the forum

Steve, I think we can all say a big thanks for what you are doing for us on here. You take the time to come here and help us out with some sound advice and that's great, so thanks big man

So a general question, does anyone find it hard to add mass to calve muscles? I have to rely heavily on walking up a mountain every day after work to get some calve exercise. I would avoid it but my house it half way up lol
data790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #934
Weaponx25
Weaponx25
Powerful. .
THE HEART IS THERE
Brawn
Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 0 years 2 months
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Exercise: Hip sled.
Fav Supp: Creatine
Weaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good posts

Bbod

I watched the YouTube video you put up on bench press and that really helped me through the question about my lagging bench press.

Thanks for the video

Furthermore I looked at my workouts for the last month and I have moved up 5 pounds since I started the workout. Yesterday I did the Friday workout and with the added weight I was able to hammer out 8 more reps than last week. I am not lagging like I thought just moving slowly towards a better me

Thanks again
Weaponx25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #935
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,480,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,480,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,480,642, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Thanks for the speedy reply beast. Best videos and advice on the net. Period!
Thanks!

Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #936
Hywelbane
Hywelbane
Brb lifting
Max Brawn
Points: 2,819, Level: 32 Points: 2,819, Level: 32 Points: 2,819, Level: 32
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Training Exp: 8
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Yeehaw
Hywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributor

Hey Btb, I recently got knee wraps and have been utilizing them in training. I was wondering at what % or indicator do you add in wraps? And if I do a program based off of %'s should I use the wraps for every set, or when I hit the minimum percentage?

Hywelbane is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2013, 05:19 AM   #937
nihilist
nihilist
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

nihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good start
Default Inflammation or rotator cuff problem.

Hi Steve,
If i hold my arms in the same position as a russian dancer with arms folded, and try and move them up, when i get to eye level i get extreme pain in both my shoulders. There is no pain if my arms are straight out in front, and i don't have any pain when my arms are by my side bent at the elbow performing external rotation.
I am aware of the rotator cuff muscles and i am also aware that shoulder problems can be associated with inflammation due to there being high levels of certain metals in the body. Metals like mercury and nickel from amalgam fillings and gold inlays respectively. I did have 1 of each until recently.
I suffered with tennis elbow in my right arm for twenty years. I was not able to do db side laterals because of the strain on that elbow joint, but as soon as i removed the mercury filling and the gold inlay my tennis elbow went away almost overnight.
I was amazed by this and realized that this could be a cause of a lot of peoples' shoulder and joint problems rather than weak rotator cuff muscles. I also used to get pain in my left shoulder when flat benching. This also disappeared after metal dentalware removal.
I am now pain free apart from this one. This pain feels more like it could be a rotator cuff issue due to neglecting certain exercises. Or maybe it's an impingement? I don't tend to do any front delt exercises because i feel they are trained enough with compound movements. I can do them though when warmed up enough. The pain is worse cooled down. I feel strong in every way apart from when my arms are in this position.It hurts like hell on a morning when pulling the covers off myself to get out of bed. I suppose this action is external rotation...hmm. Maybe i should do an exercise in line with the movement of my arms that gives me the pain like the upright rows.

The exercises that i currently perform on a 3 to 4 day full body routine are:
Back Squats
SLDeads
Deads
Flat, Incline bench
Weighted Dips
CG bench
DB, BB rows
Weighted/body weight Pull,Chin ups
Seated/standing ohp
Seated db press
ez curl biceps curls
incline db curls
pronated cable biceps curls

I've only recently started doing the pronated biceps curls because they too were too painful when i had metal dentalware. Totally fine now.
Also before the metal removal, weighted dips and weighted bench dips caused what i think was inflammation, but now i can do both these with no pain at all. Another indication to me that just about all my shoulder pains were inflammation related. My rear delts have been worked well, so i know they are not an issue. I am able to perform front squats ok with crossed arms. I have pain at first, but it seems to subside when warmed up.
nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #938
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hywelbane View Post
Hey Btb, I recently got knee wraps and have been utilizing them in training. I was wondering at what % or indicator do you add in wraps? And if I do a program based off of %'s should I use the wraps for every set, or when I hit the minimum percentage?
I use my heavy ones about at 70-75%. I think this is a reasonable place to use them.

I would definitely use them on every set. They have helped minimize strains over the years and I think it's smart to use them going forward.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #939
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I am now pain free apart from this one. This pain feels more like it could be a rotator cuff issue due to neglecting certain exercises. Or maybe it's an impingement?

Could be either.

Quote:
I don't tend to do any front delt exercises because i feel they are trained enough with compound movements.
Good call. They typically aren't needed. Bench press style movements work them plenty.

Quote:
It hurts like hell on a morning when pulling the covers off myself to get out of bed. I suppose this action is external rotation...hmm.
Time to see a doctor.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #940
TobesLCFC
TobesLCFC
cutting
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Dear BBOD,
How common are stretch marks from bulking? My chest is absolutely riddled with them since I started lifting and everything I gain some muscle I seem to gain more. Do they fade away over time? I would how you a picture but it's a bit gross to be honest. I'm not worried that much it's just I don't want to freak people out lol

Hope your birthday was fun.

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." – Socrates

"I never saved anything for the swim back."

"Compound exercises, kids! Compound exercises!"
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook