Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #901
Ancrel
Ancrel
is not wanting to take a deload week!
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 6 months serious!
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Milk!
My Mood: Lurking
Ancrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would focus on back work. That's a big priority. Back will also work your rear delts.

Big rows, dumbbell and/or barbell. They maybe add some reverse flyes.
Thanks Steve, ill add in bent over rows to my Squat day and reverse flys to my Dedlift day.

Cheers and keep strong!
Ancrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #902
davez
davez
is trying to get bigger and stronger
Brawn
Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Starting Strength
My Mood: Relaxed
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Quote:
My best advice right now is to get on a beefier program that works the upper body with a little more variety of exercises. (like Wendler's, or something similar)

I also don't think 5 reps is always the best choice for overhead pressing. I would use maybe 6 to 10 reps per set, or 8 to 12. I would advise for this lift using the rep goal system:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/rep-goal-s...aximize-gains/

Use the same weight for 3 sets, and try to creep each set up a rep each time. If you can add "only" one rep on one set each week, you will be making solid, consistent progress.

The rep goal system has you pushing each set for as many reps as possible. This will likely be more beneficial.
Thank you BHUD, I'll start with Wendler's tomorrow then
davez is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #903
ripsnorter
ripsnorter
has no status.
Points: 552, Level: 11 Points: 552, Level: 11 Points: 552, Level: 11

ripsnorter is new to the forumripsnorter is new to the forumripsnorter is new to the forum

[QUOTE=BendtheBar;411750]Welcome to the forum. Glad to help.

Very good shape for mid-40s.

Those are very respectable numbers for 2 years of training.

I want to encourage you to set a date and compete. Get one under your belt. You won't regret it.

For our age I think every 4 days like this works best. Work up to 85% and add 5 pounds when this feels manageable.

I used it for bench, and it worked ok. Deadlifts it's not something I recommend, especially with floor pulling.

I would recommend keeping a minimal amount of assistance work in. You still need to work on improving back and shoulder strength, as well as arms. This will only help your lifts move up. But with that said you don't need to do much. A reasonable amount of work.

I would do something like:

Day 1 - Squats and deads
Day 3 - Bench
Day 5 - Squats and deads
Day 7 - Bench

For deadlift work I would alternate between floor pulls, low rack pulls and high rack pulls and power shrugs.[/QUOTE

Hi, thanks for the reply, Steve.

What kind of back off work-volume-should I do on the bench & squats? What kind of reps/volume should I use on deadlift work? Should rows be done on sq/dl day? Shoulders on bench?
ripsnorter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #904
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Hi Steve, I have a question regarding my bench press progress.

Right now I'm benching every other workout (1.5x/week on avg) for 5x5, and increasing the weight by 1.25 kg (2.75 lbs) every time. I can't make larger increases than that, and it only amounts to a 10 kg increase every 5-6 weeks or so, not counting the fact that I have to deload and build back up now and then.

Should I be happy with that or try benching 3x/week? If I increased the frequency what would I do with the overhead press? I would probably also drop some assistance like close grip bench press and skullcrushers to compensate.

I know I should be patient, but at the same time I feel like I could be making more progress by benching more often.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #905
Wesker
Wesker
is wondering why the hell he bought a tablet.
Brawn
Points: 428, Level: 8 Points: 428, Level: 8 Points: 428, Level: 8

Training Exp: 9 months
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Exercise: Dumbbell Bench Press
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
My Mood: Spent
Wesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good posts

God day Mr. Shaw

I've recently posted my routine and have gotten few responses. If you have the time, would you give it a look.

If anyone else want to give their 2 cent too, I would be grateful. I'm here to learn

I can't post the thread as a link, due to regulations... It's over at the "Muscle Building and Bodybuilding" forum.

Cheers

Per
Wesker is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #906
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,884, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,884, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,884, Level: 100
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripsnorter View Post

What kind of back off work-volume-should I do on the bench & squats? What kind of reps/volume should I use on deadlift work? Should rows be done on sq/dl day? Shoulders on bench?
I would start mild with backoff volume initially. Perhaps a double or triple on squats, and a couple on bench press. Run this for a month and then you could start to take it more intuitively.

The natural tendency is to do too much backoff. I would take that heavy work slowly and trust in frequency.

Rows and shoulders I would do on bench day since you are doing squats and deads on the same day.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #907
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,884, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,884, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,884, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiz View Post
Hi Steve, I have a question regarding my bench press progress.
Glad to help.

Quote:
Right now I'm benching every other workout (1.5x/week on avg) for 5x5, and increasing the weight by 1.25 kg (2.75 lbs) every time. I can't make larger increases than that, and it only amounts to a 10 kg increase every 5-6 weeks or so, not counting the fact that I have to deload and build back up now and then.
That's a huge increase. It will start to slow rapidly in the near future. That works out to a 214 pound bench press increase in one year.

Quote:
Should I be happy with that or try benching 3x/week?
Absolutely. Just know that this is hyper-aggressive and you'll start to slow dramatically very soon. At that point 2.5 to 5 pounds a month will be good progress.

I would definitely not increase overhead press frequency. That can often backfire. Bench press leave as is. If it's working, don't change a thing.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #908
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
God day Mr. Shaw

I've recently posted my routine and have gotten few responses. If you have the time, would you give it a look.
I'll take a look at it.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #909
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
That's a huge increase. It will start to slow rapidly in the near future. That works out to a 214 pound bench press increase in one year.
Quote:
If it's working, don't change a thing.
Thanks. Yeah, now that I look at it written like that, it is pretty fast progress as is. It just feels so darn slow sometimes

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #910
data790
data790
has no status.
Points: 330, Level: 6 Points: 330, Level: 6 Points: 330, Level: 6

data790 is new to the forumdata790 is new to the forumdata790 is new to the forum

Hi,

I have been following your programs found on... oh god some bodybuilding website and have always gained from them. So thanks for the programs.

I have a quick question. I have been bulking for almost two years, going from 56 kg to 71-72 kg now and still going. I am a hard gainer and have to really force myself to eat. During this bulk I have got a pot belly. I don't think it is fat, just nice and round but hard. Is this normal or should I look into my diet more? So far it sticks out more than my chest... which is an insentive to get my chest bigger sooner

Many thanks for any advice, Marc
data790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook