Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #881
joshkramer51
joshkramer51
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

joshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Well you did say your calories were the same. The only reason I asked was to see if you knew exactly what you were eating. Without tracking it's guess, which is certainly ok. My guess is that you were eating a little more because you were hungry from the leg work.

There is no need to track calories as long as things are progressing well for you.
Yea I dont track them anymore because I eat the same everyday, sometimes ill eat a little more depending on the workout that day. Thanks for your opinion I appreciate it
joshkramer51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #882
mrbrown55
mrbrown55
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,942, Level: 26 Points: 1,942, Level: 26 Points: 1,942, Level: 26
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: shoulder press
Fav Supp: whey
My Mood: Aggressive
mrbrown55 is a consistent contributormrbrown55 is a consistent contributormrbrown55 is a consistent contributormrbrown55 is a consistent contributormrbrown55 is a consistent contributormrbrown55 is a consistent contributormrbrown55 is a consistent contributormrbrown55 is a consistent contributormrbrown55 is a consistent contributormrbrown55 is a consistent contributormrbrown55 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Bearded Beast of Duloc Q&A thread.

Ask, or don't. No big whoop.
Dear bearded one today I read your post regarding BTB CAVEMAN FASTING. It sounds like something I can do and would like to try it. I'm just wondering what to do on the days where I train between 1pm and 2pm, would I still have to wait until 5pm to eat? The other 2 days I train will be fine as I train at night. Also, should this be done 7 days a week?
Thanks.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
mrbrown55 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #883
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100 Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100 Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100
Activity: 73% Activity: 73% Activity: 73%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
Very cool. Thanks for the info. Also, when working with a three day powerbuilding split, is it advisable to include cardio or resistance conditioning work on off days? Or would that be counter productive for recovery time?
It won't impact recovery. I recommend 3 to 4 days of moderate cardio either on off days or post-workout.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #884
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100 Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100 Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrown55 View Post
Dear bearded one today I read your post regarding BTB CAVEMAN FASTING. It sounds like something I can do and would like to try it. I'm just wondering what to do on the days where I train between 1pm and 2pm, would I still have to wait until 5pm to eat? The other 2 days I train will be fine as I train at night. Also, should this be done 7 days a week?
Thanks.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Hi MB,

On days I train early I usually eat something like a whey shake after lifting, and then maybe 4 pieces of string cheese or some other protein food 30 to 60 minutes later. I try to keep my hunger at bay until dinner.

I don't recommend worrying about keeping this super strict 7 days a week. I think you need a break one day a week to eat some carbs. I would use that for saturday, sunday or for a special occasion.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #885
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post
Hello Bearded beast, it's been a long time since I posted here. Just a quick recap of me and my stats before I ask my question:

March 2013:
Weight: 63kg (140lbs)
Height: 170cm (5feet 7inches)

Bench Press: 44kg (97lbs)
Squat: 36kg (80lbs)
Press: 26kg (57lbs)
Deadlift: 52kg (114lbs)

September 2013(now):
Weight: 72kg (155lbs)
Height: 170cm (5feet 7inches)

Bench Press: 68kg (150lbs)
Squat: 98kg (216lbs)
Overhead Press: 46kg (101lbs)
Deadlift: 106kg (233lbs)
Welcome back.

Quote:
As you can tell my lifts went up quite nicely, also I've gained some muscle in my arms, chest, back, and specially my LEGS are significantly bigger, even my abs are bigger lol.
Good work.

Quote:
Anyway, my problem is with the Overhead Press wich went up pretty quick in the beggining but then stalled for quite some time (2 months ago to be precise).

When you say "stalled", I want to make sure we are on the same page of music. What was your overhead press workout (sets, reps and weight) 2 months ago and what are they now? Exactly the same? Or is the progress slow? Exact numbers will help.

Let me look at numbers and then I will comment.

Also, it you could give me a basic idea of that training day as well. Thanks!

Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #886
davez
davez
is trying to get bigger and stronger
Brawn
Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Starting Strength
My Mood: Relaxed
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Quote:
Welcome back.
When you say "stalled", I want to make sure we are on the same page of music. What was your overhead press workout (sets, reps and weight) 2 months ago and what are they now? Exactly the same? Or is the progress slow? Exact numbers will help.

Let me look at numbers and then I will comment.

Also, it you could give me a basic idea of that training day as well. Thanks!
I do Starting Strength and every training session where I do ohp I always start with the Squat 3x5 + 2 warm ups and then I do my ohp and then I do Deadlifts at the end.

When I started doing Starting Strength me and my training partner actually messed up the programming with the overhead press because we were supposed to do 5x3 and instead we were doing 3x5 in the same way we did Squats or Bench Press, I remember in some weeks we did 5x3 and some others 3x5, at the end we sticked to 3x5, sadly I can't remember EXACTLY WHEN we did that change because I was lazy and didn't change it on my training log (an excel file), however I have the details of when I started to have trouble.

According to my training log I started doing 46kg on the overhead press on the first week of june then I went up to 48kg and starting missing reps, I just followed Mehdi's advice (from Strong Lifts): "Just keep going until you can complete all your sets without missing reps, if you can't complete all the sets after 2 or 3 weeks then deload". Sadly, 2nd week of June I messed up horribly, I did 3 reps on the 1st but almost going to failure on the last one, 2nd set I did 1 rep and couldn't continue anymore, I didn't bother completing the last set. By that time I started reading more on StrongLifts (googling and stuff) and I figured out it was Ok for me to go with 3x3 on the overhead press and keep doing 5x5 for the rest of my lifts. So I started doing 3x3 and taking like 4..5..min rest in between sets and I was able to progress until I did 52kg on the 2nd week of July and same history, I just couldn't complete them even taking lots of rest in between sets, 1x3, 1x2, 1x2. Then I decided it was time for a deload and just dropped the weight down to 40kg but I was still doing 3x3, I was up to 46kg on the 1st week of August, then I failed again, not being able to complete the last rep of the last set ARGGH

2nd Week of August I did a more detailed training log, writing how the set felt and how the speed of the bar was. I have missed last rep on last set on every workout up until the third week of August. I remember I was reading SS wiki and it said "whenever you miss a rep on any set that's a strike, 3 strikes and you're out! (deload)" So, I deloaded once again... went down to 40kg 3x3. So everything was fine until last workout where I failed on my last set with 48kg

Edit: Bar speed has always been slow since I started doing 46kg again (first week of August), plus all the last sets felt heavy and difficult to complete (hopefully this information helps somehow?)

So.. there you have it, a pretty big wall of text lol. Hopefully that'll be enough info for you to figure out what should I do

Last edited by davez; 09-26-2013 at 08:30 PM.
davez is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #887
Ancrel
Ancrel
is not wanting to take a deload week!
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 6 months serious!
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: Milk!
Ancrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributor

How do BBOD just a quick one.

Since i started 5/3/1 a around 6 weeks ago i have noticed my shoulders seem to lean forward and into the chest a little, i guess i need some rear delt work?

What assistance work can i add to my routine to start to correct this?
Ancrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #888
ripsnorter
ripsnorter
has no status.
Points: 552, Level: 11 Points: 552, Level: 11 Points: 552, Level: 11

ripsnorter is new to the forumripsnorter is new to the forumripsnorter is new to the forum

Hi Steve,

First post here.

Quick background-

I am 44 years old. I weigh around 180-185 lbs. BF is around 15-16% though with callipers measured around 11-12%. I had testicular cancer 5 years ago. My best lifts are Squat 350lbs, bench 240, deadlift 420. Been training around 2 years seriously. My ambition is just to become as strong as possible and to compete in the 183lb class in powerlifting (IPF affiliate). Strength is my main goal. I'm not that bothered about muscle-just want to be superstrong at the weight I mentioned. I am 5'6' btw.

I had no idea who you were until I saw a video of yours on youtube about squatting frequency and intensity. You mentioned how you broke a plateau by squatting upto a 85% single and then maybe did some backoff work 3 times a week. I am at the same point-I need my squat to go up and I want to use the same method. Do you use this same approach for bench and deadlift? Any other pointers for me? I just want to be strong. My form is good in the lifts. Its just a question of not program hopping(something I have been guilty of) and I believe I can lift some decent weights. My goals are 500 lb deadlift and squat. 350 bench.

Would appreciate your help.

Thank you!

Last edited by ripsnorter; 09-28-2013 at 07:21 AM.
ripsnorter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #889
ripsnorter
ripsnorter
has no status.
Points: 552, Level: 11 Points: 552, Level: 11 Points: 552, Level: 11

ripsnorter is new to the forumripsnorter is new to the forumripsnorter is new to the forum

Forgot to add-all these are raw lifts.
ripsnorter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #890
Adamite1114
Adamite1114
Is getting bigger.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: on and off 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
My Mood: Mellow
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Hey BTB, how would one warm up or prepare for a 20 rep squat set?
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook