Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #651
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
Cool, thanks. Do you think Smolov Jr can be done for OHP? I may give it a shot after the bench cycle.
I wouldn't do Smolov for OHPs. You're making good progress. Right now you just need time.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #652
Berd
Berd
has no status.
Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 year and 6 months
Fav Exercise: Anything back related
Fav Supp: RED MEAT
Berd is off to a bad start

Hey Steve,

Is it normal to feel back pain when doing power shrugs? Is there a perfect form or do you just do anything to get the weight up?

Thanks brother
Berd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #653
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berd View Post
Hey Steve,

Is it normal to feel back pain when doing power shrugs? Is there a perfect form or do you just do anything to get the weight up?

Thanks brother
Back pain? No, that's not normal.

Power shrugs allow for a lot of extra weight and it's best to easy into them before going too intense or adding too much volume.

If you tweaked something I would lay off them for a couple weeks or until you feel 100%, and then test them out with moderate weight.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2013, 02:18 AM   #654
TobesLCFC
TobesLCFC
cutting
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Can the deadlift be done for high reps (say 20) and be effective? I saw a full body routine on Primallifter.com which alternated between very heavy days (3reps) and light days (20). Also, your arms are looking swole, even though you don't do direct arm work.
TobesLCFC is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #655
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Can the deadlift be done for high reps (say 20) and be effective? I saw a full body routine on Primallifter.com which alternated between very heavy days (3reps) and light days (20). Also, your arms are looking swole, even though you don't do direct arm work.
High reps can be ok, but I recommend easing into them. Maintaining form is always a key concern. I always stop a set when my form feels off. You might need weeks to work up to 10+ reps on a set of deadlifts.

And thanks, hoping to lose some fat soon so I can reveal that muscle a bit more.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #656
TobesLCFC
TobesLCFC
cutting
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

I've got another question. Lifting belts:when is it necessary to get one? If your wear one too often, does it somehow make your core more susceptible to injury?
TobesLCFC is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #657
Ainter89
Ainter89
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Ainter89 is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
No, that's normal. Especially if the Bearded Beast of Duloc hasn't critiqued your form on video!

Seriously though, very normal. Take a video of your deadlifts if you can.
here are a couple vids,i think my back may be rounding too much and that's where the pain is coming from. hopefully its not too big of a form flaw.

Ainter89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #658
steveninthematrix
steveninthematrix
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 663, Level: 13 Points: 663, Level: 13 Points: 663, Level: 13

steveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainter89 View Post
here are a couple vids,i think my back may be rounding too much and that's where the pain is coming from. hopefully its not too big of a form flaw.

-
my advice, get your hips a bit lower and more mobile, also, pull yourself down on the bar (look at how andy bolton does it, 1 ,2 , go)

stop looking at yourself in the mirror and keep your head/neck neutral i.e. in line with your spine , as you start to pull, pull your head back

dont pull, but start the movement by imagining pushing your feet through the floor

that form gets a 5/10 from me
steveninthematrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #659
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I've got another question. Lifting belts:when is it necessary to get one? If your wear one too often, does it somehow make your core more susceptible to injury?
I find more benefit from knee wraps and wrist wraps to be honest.

When is it necessary to get a belt? Never. Unless you have some special back condition that makes the use of one feel better. I went without a belt for 23+ years. Now that I use one, I can confidently say that wraps are of a greater overall benefit.

Get wraps, use them, and they maybe play around with a less expensive belt to see if you find value.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #660
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainter89 View Post

You need to pull your feet back 2-3 inches. Your body type makes it nearly impossible to setup that close and sink your hips. From this position sink your hips to a good leverage point and drive up with your head, pulling the bar back towards your body.

Share with Facebook