Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #511
moeheep
moeheep
wants a 900lb Total
Max Brawn
Points: 9,453, Level: 65 Points: 9,453, Level: 65 Points: 9,453, Level: 65
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Amazed
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

"I personally do not think an intermediate lifter should be lifting heavy each week. They need reps, and to focus on building a muscular base while also building strength within those rep ranges.

Both Byrd's program and 531 are set up to do that. My programs tend to be less intense and more base-driven for intermediates."

JB's and 531 are set up to do which? Lift Heavy, or Build a base. I think I know, but the way this was worded is a little confusing.

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #512
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeheep View Post
"I personally do not think an intermediate lifter should be lifting heavy each week. They need reps, and to focus on building a muscular base while also building strength within those rep ranges.

Both Byrd's program and 531 are set up to do that. My programs tend to be less intense and more base-driven for intermediates."

JB's and 531 are set up to do which? Lift Heavy, or Build a base. I think I know, but the way this was worded is a little confusing.
With JB's and 531 you aren't lifting above 90% very often.

My programs are usually even more conservative.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #513
steveninthematrix
steveninthematrix
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 663, Level: 13 Points: 663, Level: 13 Points: 663, Level: 13
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

steveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good posts

hello there Steve S aka BBOD

glad your training is going well...

keep at it, still trying to catch you on the deadlift.... but busy dropping weight

current deadlift PR: 612

Steve

current routine

Monday Friday Monday Friday Monday Friday
day1 - deadlifts, incline flys, neutral grip facepulls, bicep exercise, calve exercise
day2 - incline bench, 1 arm rows, seated dumbbell press, bicep exercise, tricep exercise
day 3 - dips, 1 arm pulldowns, standing military press, bicep exercise, tricep exercise

most exercises are 2-3 work sets, sometimes 3X5, or 2 sets to failure or reverse pyramid

i.e. i deadlift every 10+ - days

on Wednesdays I do just shoulders and legs/calves, with maybe biceps, in a higher volume faster lower weight workout

{goal is to pull 661 at 220 and incline bench 300X5X3sets (currentlly on 255 X5 X 3)}
steveninthematrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #514
Hikertrash
Hikertrash
has no status.
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hikertrash is off to a bad start
Default Damage Control On Extreme Cut

BBOD, I backpack continuously for three to six months every year averaging 25 to 35 miles per day. Obviously, this lifestyle is not compatible with strength or hypertrophy gains so I stopped lifting thirteen years ago. Since I am only hiking for six weeks this year, I started lifting again this spring and fell in love with it all over again. As my departure approaches, I am loathe to lose my gainz. My question is what strategies can I use on the trail with access to town about once per week (gym access only two or three times in six weeks) to limit my losses over the six weeks, primarily in strength. I'm currently on the Ice Cream Fitness novice 5x5 program. I'm 36 years old and have fat to lose at 23% BF. I weigh 230 lbs. My big three are currently 245 5x5, 340 5x5, 405 1x5. Thank you. I appreciate your humor as much as your help.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #515
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
BBOD, I backpack continuously for three to six months every year averaging 25 to 35 miles per day. Obviously, this lifestyle is not compatible with strength or hypertrophy gains so I stopped lifting thirteen years ago. Since I am only hiking for six weeks this year, I started lifting again this spring and fell in love with it all over again. As my departure approaches, I am loathe to lose my gainz. My question is what strategies can I use on the trail with access to town about once per week (gym access only two or three times in six weeks) to limit my losses over the six weeks, primarily in strength. I'm currently on the Ice Cream Fitness novice 5x5 program. I'm 36 years old and have fat to lose at 23% BF. I weigh 230 lbs. My big three are currently 245 5x5, 340 5x5, 405 1x5. Thank you. I appreciate your humor as much as your help.
Hi HT,

Well first off I would encourage you to look at things as holistically as possible. You enjoy both, so I encourage you to do both, results be damned. Perhaps hiking hinders gains by 10%. You can still build plenty of muscle.

I worked in a very physical job and still made amazing gains.

Point being, do what you love. I think you will find that you will build more muscle than you expect.

In your situation I would recommend 1-2 bodyweight workouts on the trail each week, along with only a single gym workout per week. For the bodyweight work you could do push ups, pull ups where possible, jump squats, hanging leg raises (off a branch, etc.), diamond pushups, lunges, heavy object curls, etc. Get creative.

For the gym workout, I think you might need to streamline. Your lifts are not at the novice level. You might consider something like:

Squats - 3x5
Bench Press - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Arnold Press - 2x10-15
One Arm Rows - 2x15
Dips - 3 x AMAP (or skullcrushers)

Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #516
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveninthematrix View Post
hello there Steve S aka BBOD

glad your training is going well...

keep at it, still trying to catch you on the deadlift.... but busy dropping weight

current deadlift PR: 612

Steve

current routine

Monday Friday Monday Friday Monday Friday
day1 - deadlifts, incline flys, neutral grip facepulls, bicep exercise, calve exercise
day2 - incline bench, 1 arm rows, seated dumbbell press, bicep exercise, tricep exercise
day 3 - dips, 1 arm pulldowns, standing military press, bicep exercise, tricep exercise

most exercises are 2-3 work sets, sometimes 3X5, or 2 sets to failure or reverse pyramid

i.e. i deadlift every 10+ - days

on Wednesdays I do just shoulders and legs/calves, with maybe biceps, in a higher volume faster lower weight workout

{goal is to pull 661 at 220 and incline bench 300X5X3sets (currentlly on 255 X5 X 3)}
Hi Steve,

Great deadlift numbers. How has your progress on the deadlift been this year?

Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #517
Berd
Berd
has no status.
Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 year and 6 months
Fav Exercise: Anything back related
Fav Supp: RED MEAT
Berd is off to a bad start
Default Pull-ups

Hey Steve,

In your maximum mass workout you call for 10 reps on the lat pulldown or by doing pull-ups. I would rather do pull-ups but I can only do about 5.

Is it better to increase weight in the lat pulldown, do assisted pull-ups, or do AMAP pull-ups until I can do more than 10? Thanks brother.
Berd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #518
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berd View Post
Hey Steve,

In your maximum mass workout you call for 10 reps on the lat pulldown or by doing pull-ups. I would rather do pull-ups but I can only do about 5.

Is it better to increase weight in the lat pulldown, do assisted pull-ups, or do AMAP pull-ups until I can do more than 10? Thanks brother.
In the long run it is better to do pullups. So many of us older guys regret not pushing for more pullups. I would keep fighting them until you can get 10 or more per set.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #519
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,273, Level: 67 Points: 10,273, Level: 67 Points: 10,273, Level: 67
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Training Exp: 3.5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Could you explain using chains, the why, the how to use, and what equipment you need to use them. Like what to buy/ look for?
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #520
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

hi bbod

what would be a good rep goal for weighted sit-ups and side bends and how many sets would you recommend for both exercises.

thanks in a advance.

Share with Facebook