Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #41
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,353,449, Level: 100 Points: 1,353,449, Level: 100 Points: 1,353,449, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleomonsta View Post
I watched your video on getting abs but what about the powerlifter and strongman who have decent abs, how do they stay in Ab form but get so massive? I'm new to this thread but recently started to do a powerlifting routine. Names billy, been lifting going on 8 years. Love any sport that is extreme and has to do with weight training.
Welcome to the forum Billy.

These strongmen and powerlifters have thick abs. Speaking personally, I can start to see my top two abs at 30% bodyfat. Their/our abs get massive through years of brutal work.

On the other hand, the 99.99% of "bros" who want abs have put in 2 weeks of less than brutal work, have no abs muscles, and even if they cut to 10% bodyfat will probably have a hard time seeing a six pack because there is nothing there to reveal.

If you head to a local bodybuilding competition you will see a lot of the mid-card guys are ripped, but you can barely see the outline of their abs. This is because they are on the smaller side.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #42
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,353,449, Level: 100 Points: 1,353,449, Level: 100 Points: 1,353,449, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmonster93 View Post
Hi Bearded Beast of Duloc! Is it true that if you eat the same food over and over again your body gets used to it and the nutrient absorption becomes less efficient. I have heard this a lot and even though I do include some variety, I just love having my PB sandwiches everyday for my fat sources lol Is this true?? thanks
Hi Beast.

To answer your question - no. If this were the case local peoples would be suffering health-wise from restrictive diets. Quite the opposite occurs.

If you eat mostly whole foods, even if the variety isn't abundant, your body will do well.

It is good to eat a variety of foods. But if you can't get much variety, you can still get big and strong.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #43
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtran333 View Post
1. what's the best macros for building muscle and best diet for muscle building and lean gains
2. what's the best macros for losing body fat and what's the best diets for losing body fat, Keto, paleos , reducing calories slowly ? ,
3. what's the best macros for keeping body fat low and building muscle ?
Hi David.

There is no "best" or magic ratios. Here's my advice.

--Eat 180 to 250 grams of protein per day, based on your eating habits.
--Eat 25 to 40% fats, based on eating habits, health and age. Fast metabolisms may need to eat more fats to get calories. Carb sensitive folks may need to eat higher fats, etc.
--Fill in the rest with quality carb sources, using fruits, veggies and nuts first, then potatoes, etc.

1) Aim to gain 18 pounds during your first year, 12 during your second. Adjust calories as needed. This only works well if you are also trying to get Hulk strong and not missing workouts. This will add 2/3rds muscle, 1/3rds fat. This 10 pounds of fat you gain can be cut in 6 weeks, and behold...you are a beast!

2) Start high. Reduce very slowly, only as needed. If you are losing 1.5 pounds per week, make no adjustments. Ride it as long as you can.

While there is arguably no "best" diet for fat loss, low carb, or carb cycling diets have been around for decades and decades and are something everyone should try at least one during their lives.

3) There is no best. Best is personal and comes from years of personal experience.

I recommend eating 80-90% whole foods, and eating to satiety. This will keep your weight in check without counting calories.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #44
picc
picc
has no status.
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

picc is off to a bad start

I'm doing 5x5 atm and I'm having some troubles on form of compound lifts. Is there any videos/books/articles you recommend?
picc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2013, 03:17 AM   #45
davidtran333
davidtran333
has no status.
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

davidtran333 is off to a bad start

watched your video on deadlift but I just need some clarification, on the deadlift I round my shoulder and do I kink or tighten my lower back the whole time for the lift or do I just let my lower back be relaxed

thank you for answering all are questions, you are so appreciated
do you offer online training ?
davidtran333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #46
RobMoriRB
RobMoriRB
training to get Elite
Max Brawn
Points: 8,274, Level: 61 Points: 8,274, Level: 61 Points: 8,274, Level: 61
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
My Mood: Cheerful
RobMoriRB is a lifting beastRobMoriRB is a lifting beastRobMoriRB is a lifting beastRobMoriRB is a lifting beastRobMoriRB is a lifting beastRobMoriRB is a lifting beastRobMoriRB is a lifting beastRobMoriRB is a lifting beastRobMoriRB is a lifting beastRobMoriRB is a lifting beastRobMoriRB is a lifting beast

Quick question, if I maintain weight at 265ish will it be easy to build muscle while I maintain my current weight?
Bench: 330(295)
Total: 1155lbs
Equipped Goals(Current)
Squat: 500(465)
Dead Lift:500(475)
Bench:330(295)
Total:1235
Oly Lifting
Snatch: 225(175)
CJ: 315(225)
Total: 400

BW: 250lbs

Block Program: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16237
RobMoriRB is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #47
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by picc View Post
I'm doing 5x5 atm and I'm having some troubles on form of compound lifts. Is there any videos/books/articles you recommend?
If you can post videos of your form here on the forum we can help. You should also check out:

Exercise Form - Muscle and Brawn Forums

^ This has all kinds fo good information on squats, deadlifts and bench press.

And a few more:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/vid...oe-videos.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/vid...ew-videos.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/vid...technique.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/vid...ms-videos.html

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #48
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtran333 View Post
watched your video on deadlift but I just need some clarification, on the deadlift I round my shoulder and do I kink or tighten my lower back the whole time for the lift or do I just let my lower back be relaxed

thank you for answering all are questions, you are so appreciated
do you offer online training ?
No David, we help folks here for free.

You don't tighten/flatten your upper back. That increases the range of motion. You stand as upright as you can, and this may involve a degree of shoulder rounding. If you notice in the pic below, his lower back is flat and tight while his upper back and shoulders are rounded. Don't force this Let it happen naturally.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	konstantinov-deadlift-copy.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	7662  

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #49
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoriRB View Post
Quick question, if I maintain weight at 265ish will it be easy to build muscle while I maintain my current weight?
No. It's rarely easy to build muscle while maintaining weight. Food always makes the process easier.

With that said, if you eat well and get crazy strong you might be surprised.

My advice with all body composition questions is pretty much the same: focus on what you can control.

The things we can control are gym effort.

Maintaining weight is a big goal for you. Whether you can or can't build muscle muscle while doing so is speculation, but you can be proactive and get a lot stronger than you are now. This is what you can control.

Hope this makes sense.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #50
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,054, Level: 55 Points: 7,054, Level: 55 Points: 7,054, Level: 55
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

dear BBOD is whole milk a good source of healthy fats ?

what other foods are a good source of healthy fats ?

thanks.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook