Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #481
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Sorrt for the slow responses. Will get to them ASAP in the morning. Busy weekend.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #482
Thewardrop
Thewardrop
has no status.
Points: 215, Level: 4 Points: 215, Level: 4 Points: 215, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7 months
Fav Exercise: Bench press
My Mood: Relaxed
Thewardrop is off to a bad start

Hey BBOD im eating well and working out consistently like you suggested but i have noticed my weight has not changed at all and my bench and strength have just plateaued the past month and a bit. i am 16 225 5'9 muscular but fatter than the average. what do you recommend seeing that summer is ahead and i am going to be working out under proper knowledge and makin even more gains. thanks man
Thewardrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #483
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
In application to Standard Periodization is it a good idea to take a week deload prior to, and a week deload after attempting a one rep (gym effort) max?

Or can one go right into training reps again the following day or so, after the maxes have been tested?

Why deload or even take an additional week off after the max attempt?

Also, I want to emphasize that I'm talking about a solid Gym Attempt, not an all out Meet.

Hope this makes sense
I have found that with a week completely off prior to a meet, or testing maxes, I perform better. Some of this is tied into dual factor training, and allowing the fatigue to rescind so the performance can shine.

If you are just testing a single max, I would take a week off as well. Heal, recover, allow that strength to shine.

As far as after...that's the call of the lifter. If someone is doing a meet I really think they should take a complete week off from lifting and relax. This is mostly a mental break, but partly a physical one as well.

Plenty of guys don't do this, so it is optional of course.

If you are just testing a max and not adding in an extra volume then you could continue on with your normal training schedule if you feel fine.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #484
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleurplaay View Post
big strong dude,

would you say completely replacing barbell rows with dumbbell rows is alright if you are struggling with recovery in the posterior chain?
Yes, absolutely. Dumbbell rows are better on the lower back.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #485
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
hi big strong hairy dude

what would be a good rep goal for weighted bar dips over 3 sets, for strength and muscle.

thanks in advance.
Good question. I would probably tend to land on the side of more reps per set, maybe 30 per 3 sets. You could go higher reps if that feels better.

At one point I dabbled with lower dip reps. It was ok, but I was young.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #486
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brechdurchfall View Post
Can you give me advice about my DL and Squat Form?

DL 74kg - YouTube

With the DL I already noticed that I really go overboard with the lock out after each rep. Any other suggestions about my form?

Squat lowbar 55 kg - YouTube

With Squat: I know the notches are a bit too high so it's hard to take out and rack the bar properly, which sucks.

Besides that, I would really appreciate your opinion on both lifts!

Thanks alot!
Glad to help.

Squats...everything looks fluid and strong. I would stay the course.

I want you to focus on locking out your squats with forward hip drive. At the end of a few reps I see those hips slowly creeping forward after you are already near-upright. You ant them popping forward. They are your primary lockout mechanism and should be your focus after coming out of the hole.

Deadlifts...I think they look good too. It's better to have strong forward hip drive and go overboard then to get in the habit of leaving them back.

Personally I think you are on the right track with both lifts. Well done.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #487
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post
Hey, I like your new footage doing heavy lifting but (no offense srs) I think you need a better camera xD

Anyways, congrats on your new squat PR, I hope you can place top 5 of the strongest old dudes of all times
Thanks.

That is recorded via Ustream and ripped from it. I take all camera donations.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #488
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post
Hey, I like your new footage doing heavy lifting but (no offense srs) I think you need a better camera xD

Anyways, congrats on your new squat PR, I hope you can place top 5 of the strongest old dudes of all times
Thanks.

That is recorded via Ustream and ripped from it. I take all camera donations.

It's not the camera but the ripping from Ustream that causes the degradation. Sorry it's crappy but I have no way of improving it at this time.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #489
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT55 View Post
Hi BtB,

fresh beginner, into my Wendlers 5/3/1 and im facing my first "deload" week. Whats the science behind it? Ive heard you say "make every set count", and Ive heard you say "stick to the program". Obviously being a rank beginner, progress is great as i get used to the weights, do I need to deload, or should I just add weight to the bar in the 4th week? When is it important to deload?? Any links on the science/experience you want to point me in the direction of would be great!
Deloading is a highly personal thing. There is some science behind dual factor training, meaning as your fatigue levels rescind your fitness levels can shine, but if deloading bothers you I would get off of Wendlers and do Starting Strength or a similar program.

I hate deloading and am not a fan for beginning to early intermediate lifters. I personally just think it's too much down time. One light week every 8-12 is plenty for lifters just starting out. Mileage may vary.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #490
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxZavtur View Post
Hey Bearded Beast. Currently I'm dong upper/lower split (muscle 2x a week). I doubt if I doing everything right with my program. This program is so underrated and I have not seen anyone who had used it, but I know many guys who build a lot of muscles with simple split (1x week muscle). I'm afraid that I can be overtrained with this frequancy. Do you know someone who had great results with this type of program? thanks
Arnold. Plenty of other lifters during the 70s and 80s. Everyone who uses Westside. On and on.

Workouts programs are rarely "magical" in and of themselves. Get strong on nearly any program and you will make great gains.

Share with Facebook