Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #361
chippy7
chippy7
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

chippy7 is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Absolutely. Post them up.

How many calories are you eating per day?
Thank you for allowing me to do so! I am 5'8 19 y'o, was 147lbs and today I weighed in at 131 lbs. To get this low I was eating around 500-600 cals daily. My previous maintenance was around 1850cals. I have pretty good knowledge with macros.
Should I up my calories to start gaining some weight or cut a bit more. I believe my BF% is around 13-14%?
Would be great to get any advice. Thank you sir
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2le41za.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	550.6 KB
ID:	8791   Click image for larger version

Name:	4hzhxc.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	573.7 KB
ID:	8792   Click image for larger version

Name:	30lzaxy.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	8793  
chippy7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #362
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippy7 View Post
Thank you for allowing me to do so! I am 5'8 19 y'o, was 147lbs and today I weighed in at 131 lbs. To get this low I was eating around 500-600 cals daily. My previous maintenance was around 1850cals. I have pretty good knowledge with macros.
Should I up my calories to start gaining some weight or cut a bit more. I believe my BF% is around 13-14%?
Would be great to get any advice. Thank you sir
We need to establish a few things going forward. I am going to be honest with you because I care and want to see you succeed.

First, your maintenance isn't 1850. I want to make sure you understand that. My wife is 46 and her maintenance is 1850. Your maintenance is likely well over 3000.

Second, you have no reason to cut. Right now you are in an unhealthy cycle and it only ends in a very bad place. Until you learn to build muscle, cutting is merely a method of reducing more muscle.

You need to spend 4 to 5 years building muscle mass and getting your weight to 190 to 200 pounds. There are 2 ways to manipulate body composition...losing fat or building muscle. You have no fat left to lose. Once you add 30 pounds of muscle you will see abs and then some.

If you see my advice as valuable, I can help you further with specifics. If you still want to lose weight after reading this, then I recommend leaving the forum. Further weight loss for you is not healthy and neither is starving yourself. I want to help you look good, but you'll have to trust me and set aside unhealthy behavior.

Skinny and underweight is not healthy. I can show you how to look 200 and be 12% bodyfat and look amazing.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-06-2013 at 06:06 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #363
chippy7
chippy7
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

chippy7 is off to a bad start
Talking

Quote:
We need to establish a few things going forward. I am going to be honest with you because I care and want to see you succeed.

First, your maintenance isn't 1850. I want to make sure you understand that. My wife is 46 and her maintenance is 1850. Your maintenance is likely well over 3000.

Second, you have no reason to cut. Right now you are in an unhealthy cycle and it only ends in a very bad place. Until you learn to build muscle, cutting is merely a method of reducing more muscle.

You need to spend 4 to 5 years building muscle mass and getting your weight to 190 to 200 pounds. There are 2 ways to manipulate body composition...losing fat or building muscle. You have no fat left to lose. Once you add 30 pounds of muscle you will see abs and then some.

If you see my advice as valuable, I can help you further with specifics. If you still want to lose weight after reading this, then I recommend leaving the forum. Further weight loss for you is not healthy and neither is starving yourself. I want to help you look good, but you'll have to trust me and set aside unhealthy behavior.

Skinny and underweight is not healthy. I can show you how to look 200 and be 12% bodyfat and look amazing.
Thank you BBOD. I want to stay I'll be gaining weight now. I know my maintenance was around 1850 as I tried to gain weight while I was 127lbs last year and got fat too quick on around 2500cals. My maintenance would be higher if I did cardio and did more than sitting around and more active. I know 100% I will gain weight if I up cals higher than 2000.

What should be my next step? how much cals should I up by? Should I reverse diet? Really big thank you BBOD for helping me out.
chippy7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #364
juanjames
juanjames
has no status.
Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

juanjames is off to a bad start

Hope I am not being annoying. I ask a lot of questions. lol

Anyway I lifted years back using a split program. So I would hit each body part once a week and do all my weekly sets for that body part in one workout. My body part would always be noodles the next day. I quit for years because of personal problems. I just started back up again a few weeks ago. I only have a 200lb dumbbell adjustable set and a bench. I decided to go with a fully body workout 3 times a week. So instead of hitting all my weekly sets in one day I split them up into three workouts. The problem is now I don't feel like I am hitting them enough? After a workout there sore but the next day is almost like I never worked out. I mean I can feel it a little but def not the same as when I was hitting the split. Is this bad or not? Am I hitting them hard enough each workout? Here is my workout program.

---Monday---
Chest = 5 Sets/8-12 Reps
Back = 5 Sets/8-12 Reps
Shoulders = 5 Sets/8-12 Reps
Quads = 5 Sets/8-12 Reps
Triceps = 2 Set/8-12 Reps
Biceps = 2 Sets/8-12 Reps
Hamstrings = 2 Sets/8-12 Reps

---Wednesday---
Chest = 5 Sets/8-12 Reps
Back = 5 Sets/8-12 Reps
Quads = 5 Sets/8-12 Reps
Traps = 2 Set/8-12 Reps
Abs = 2 Sets/8-12 Reps
Calves = 2 Sets/8-12 Reps

---Friday---
Chest = 5 Sets/8-12 Reps
Back = 5 Sets/8-12 Reps
Quads = 5 Sets/8-12 Reps
Triceps = 2 Set/8-12 Reps
Biceps = 2 Sets/8-12 Reps
Hamstrings = 2 Sets/8-12 Reps

Another question I have is why do I feel sick sometimes when working out? I really have to take it easy sometimes because I feel light headed and sick.

Thanks again your always a big help BBOD!

Last edited by juanjames; 05-06-2013 at 10:14 PM.
juanjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #365
davez
davez
is trying to get bigger and stronger
Brawn
Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Starting Strength
My Mood: Relaxed
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

lol at your last video 0:54. you make funny faces and weird noices xD

Anyways, here's a question regarding nutrition. Last week I found out I wasn't measuring my food correctly, mainly because I looked my self at the mirror and started seeing my lower abs, not that it bothers me, but my priority right now is to get as big as possible and then cut down in the future if I feel like it. So today I reevaluated my nutritional plan and made a new one from scratch, it is pretty simple and most foods are easy to cook or don't need to be cooked. My diet consists of this:

-2 cups of Oatmeal (regular, instant)
-2 cups of free lactose Semi skimmed Milk (I like milk but I'm lactose intolerant)

-2 cups of whole yogurt
-3 whole eggs (boiled)
-200gr of some type of meat (mostly chicken and beef, sometimes fish)
-2 cups of Pasta (spaghetti)
-2 Bananas
-100gr of Avocados
-2 cups of cooked white rice
-200gr of potatos

All of those foods hit a total of 3052 kcal, my maintenance is about 2700. However I found quite hard to eat the last two foods as of today (the rice and potatoes), I'm very satisfied right now, and my guess is that it may be due to the good amount of fiber I'm getting from oatmeal, fruits and the avocados. Or maybe I'm overrating my activity level? because if that was to be the case then I would be fine with what I had now, wich is 2600 kcal. I'm doing starting strength, the workout lasts about 1 hour and I do it 3 times a week, I may do abs on the other days like 2 times a week but not always. Also, I don't do cardio, I feel it affects my strength.

Just a recap of my stats: I'm 140 pounds and 5'7"

So, what should I do BHUD? Should I eat fearlessly anyway? should I recalculate my caloric needs? Also, what do you think about my diet, Is it fine? or it may cause nutrient imbalances? I'm planning to eat this foods every day probably until the end of this year.

Last edited by davez; 05-07-2013 at 01:16 AM.
davez is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2013, 01:57 AM   #366
MuscularJon25
MuscularJon25
has no status.
DudemakinnGainzz
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

MuscularJon25 is off to a bad start

Quote:
Bench press, and all bench press variations. They are so good for front delts that many bodybuilders I know have amazing front delts and avoid direct work.

If bench presses aren't working, one thing I really like is the front plate raise. Grade a 25 or 45 pound plate on the side with 2 hands and do a 100 rep set. Your front delts will hate you.

Arnold presses might not be a bad option as well.
Alright thnx I'll give it a shot BBOD. Also would a skinny fat person be able to do a mini cut like 2-4 weeks after about 3+ months of training after some quality muscle has been built and then continue lean bulking. Could you explain why or why not?
MuscularJon25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #367
essawi
essawi
has no status.
Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

essawi is off to a bad start

Hello , pls i need ur help
I wanna add more weights to my deadlift
it is stuck for 165 kg and no improvement for almost 6 months
What is ur suggestion to workout for it
I train 4 days/week 3body parts /day
Deadlift day, i do 4 sets 3x5 , then my max 1x3 ( ramping weights)
than i do some light squat , 4 sets of row , 2 sets of chin up then 2 sets of biceps
This is for dedlift day
essawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #368
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippy7 View Post
Thank you BBOD. I want to stay I'll be gaining weight now. I know my maintenance was around 1850 as I tried to gain weight while I was 127lbs last year and got fat too quick on around 2500cals. My maintenance would be higher if I did cardio and did more than sitting around and more active. I know 100% I will gain weight if I up cals higher than 2000.

What should be my next step? how much cals should I up by? Should I reverse diet? Really big thank you BBOD for helping me out.

What is a reverse diet?

You probably experienced bounce back weight gain. That is not fat gain. No one you age gets fat quickly on 2500 calories. When you increase calories you will see additional water retention due to carb and sodium intake.

You have to also understand that you were starving yourself. Your body might rebel by adding more weight.

Right now we can't control that. You have to focus on the things you can control:

1) Eating properly
2) Getting strong

What does your workout plan look like right now?

Once we get you rolling on a solid workout, I want to give you the goal of adding 2 pounds a month for the first year. Maybe a hair more if your strength increases are rolling along well.

You're going to add a few pounds of fat. It won't be noticeable if you train right because you'll be muscular.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #369
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjames View Post
Hope I am not being annoying. I ask a lot of questions. lol

!

Glad to help.

Quote:
The problem is now I don't feel like I am hitting them enough?
Maximize every set. That will solve all your problems. Push every set for as many reps as possible, stopping them when you might fail on the next rep. Do that and you will gain.

Get it out of your head that you have to destroy your body. You have to progress. Get crazy strong doing this and you WILL get big.

Quote:
Another question I have is why do I feel sick sometimes when working out? I really have to take it easy sometimes because I feel light headed and sick.
Possibly blood pressure, possible low blood sugar, possibly dehydration.

Do you eat a lot of junk carbs?

Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #370
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post
lol at your last video 0:54. you make funny faces and weird noices xD

I have kids. Used to entertaining them.

Quote:
So, what should I do BHUD? Should I eat fearlessly anyway?
Well you have 2 options:

1) Push yourself, eat the rice and potatoes and take it for the team.

2) Eat more fats instead.

Option #2 is the easier route. You could add 2 ounces of heavy cream to your skim milk. Or add butter to your veggies, or sour cream and cheese to your meat. Many ways to add fats without adding lactose.

I wouldn't recalculate calories. Best to monitor how things are going and make adjustments based on data rather than guesses.

Share with Facebook