Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #311
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post
Here's the video, pic and info as requested.
Sorry for the delayed response. Was away at Nationals this weekend and finally getting caught up.

Thanks for the info. Can definite tell you've been studying form. Well done.

My honest assessment is that your strength levels are still very low and you haven't experienced beginner muscle gains yet, so for that reason I would consider you a beginner. Not a novice, but a beginner.

Excuse the 80s clothing and glasses, but this was me as an early intermediate. I am posting it as a goal for you. If you can add 10-15 pounds of muscle, get your bench over 200, squat over 300, you will be well on your way towards reaching your goals. I wouldn't worry about your level, but rather on hitting those numbers.

Regarding your squat you are hyperextending your lower back a bit, and forcing it out unnaturally before you squat. Let it naturally move back as you squat, and don't hyperextend it. I can tell you've been studying Rippetoe (or maybe Mehdi). This is a common mistake among people who try to squat using his advice. Mark actually warns against lower back hyperextension in a video.

You hyperextend your lower back before the first rep. Watch the video. Minor issue, just try to avoid it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #312
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonViolence View Post
Friend,

I was checking out some of the Powerlifting Federations and I came across this classification scheme for The APA-WPA Federation:

Let me introduce you to my standards for naturals, just to store in your toolbox:

What Is Strong? Real World Strength Standards For Raw, Natural Lifters | Huge Gainer

Quote:
1465 or 1515 to be an Elite Lifter?
Yes, certainly for that age range. My first local NATURAL (I was tested) powerlifting meet I hit a 1501 total. I was the top lifter. The second lifter had a 1350 total.

1400 to 1500 is great for naturals who are raw. Youtube twists our perception of strong. There have only been under 90 untested raw lifters in the history of the sport that have hit 2000 raw.

Quote:
Is shooting for "Elite" classification over a 2 or 3 year period a realistic goal for someone 56?
Yes! Drive is a wonderful thing. I transitioned in 3 years from a torn shoulder and weak deadlift into a near-Elite lifter. Certainly can be done.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #313
davez
davez
is trying to get bigger and stronger
Brawn
Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Starting Strength
My Mood: Relaxed
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Sorry for the delayed response. Was away at Nationals this weekend and finally getting caught up.

Thanks for the info. Can definite tell you've been studying form. Well done.

My honest assessment is that your strength levels are still very low and you haven't experienced beginner muscle gains yet, so for that reason I would consider you a beginner. Not a novice, but a beginner.

Regarding your squat you are hyperextending your lower back a bit, and forcing it out unnaturally before you squat. Let it naturally move back as you squat, and don't hyperextend it. I can tell you've been studying Rippetoe (or maybe Mehdi). This is a common mistake among people who try to squat using his advice. Mark actually warns against lower back hyperextension in a video.

You hyperextend your lower back before the first rep. Watch the video. Minor issue, just try to avoid it.
Yes you're correct, I studied both rippetoe and mehdi from stronglifts. I think I sticked up my butt too much on that first rep wich caused by lower back to hyperextend, you're right.

Yup I agree all of my numbers are still weak, I think my stronger lifts might be my my press and deadlift (I can tell just because I can do more reps on the last sets of these 2) Also, yesterday I was messing around (deadlift day ) and pulled 100kg (220 pounds) for 1 rep wooo! I feel stronger already, but Im not supposed to be at that weight yet accordding to the program, I just was messing around wondering what would be my 1RM

I saw the strength standards you posted, honestly I'll be happy with this numbers:

Weight Squats Bench Deadlifts
148 310 210 320

I think my squat will be lower and my deadlift will be higher but I'm just guessing... I want 400 pounds deadlift to be my goal (wich will be about 3 times my current body weight) by the end of this year I should be hitting 280-300 deadlift, maybe halfway next year I'll hit 400

Also, thank you very much for replying!

Last edited by davez; 04-25-2013 at 12:09 PM.
davez is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #314
CADETGUSV
CADETGUSV
has no status.
Points: 120, Level: 2 Points: 120, Level: 2 Points: 120, Level: 2

CADETGUSV is off to a bad start

Hello BBOD thanks for the videos I am a you tuber put on to your channel I think by Icecreamfitness. Anyway briefly I have been getting after strength training as of late and my numbers are coming up well, currently on a 5x5 program I am squatting 315

My question for you is I get a bit of soreness the day after in my lower back from 1to10 I would say its a 2 1/2 nothing a foam rolling in the morning doesn't fix. I dont feel anything during or after the lift the day of. My form feels great to me I get a bounce at the bottom and dont think I am coming to far forward.

Is this a natural b/c of the heavier weight or do I need to work on tightening up my form in some way ? Is there a couple of suggestions you can make as to what form problem I am having with out seeing the movement?

Thanks again for your help and your dedication to the growth of your sport
CADETGUSV is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #315
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADETGUSV View Post
Hello BBOD thanks for the videos I am a you tuber put on to your channel I think by Icecreamfitness. Anyway briefly I have been getting after strength training as of late and my numbers are coming up well, currently on a 5x5 program I am squatting 315

My question for you is I get a bit of soreness the day after in my lower back from 1to10 I would say its a 2 1/2 nothing a foam rolling in the morning doesn't fix. I dont feel anything during or after the lift the day of. My form feels great to me I get a bounce at the bottom and dont think I am coming to far forward.

Is this a natural b/c of the heavier weight or do I need to work on tightening up my form in some way ? Is there a couple of suggestions you can make as to what form problem I am having with out seeing the movement?

Thanks again for your help and your dedication to the growth of your sport
Hi Cadet,

Some lower back soreness can be natural. the first thing I would suggest is letting me take a look at your squat form. There are several things I can look for that might be causing you to strain your lower back.

Let me know if you have a video available.

If your form is good, then it's time to consider some other options to reduce that.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #316
CADETGUSV
CADETGUSV
has no status.
Points: 120, Level: 2 Points: 120, Level: 2 Points: 120, Level: 2

CADETGUSV is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hi Cadet,

Some lower back soreness can be natural. the first thing I would suggest is letting me take a look at your squat form. There are several things I can look for that might be causing you to strain your lower back.

Let me know if you have a video available.

If your form is good, then it's time to consider some other options to reduce that.
I will video myself and post it for yah next week .

Thanks
CADETGUSV is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #317
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADETGUSV View Post
I will video myself and post it for yah next week .

Thanks
Sounds good, we'll get you squared away.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #318
davez
davez
is trying to get bigger and stronger
Brawn
Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14

Training Type: Starting Strength
My Mood: Relaxed
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

I lol'd watching the video you posted yesterday xD robot squats lol.

Last words were very motivating

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
davez is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #319
Ghost86
Ghost86
has no status.
Points: 93, Level: 1 Points: 93, Level: 1 Points: 93, Level: 1

Ghost86 is off to a bad start
Default Question

Hi CrazyBeard !

How many set and exercises should I do for chest....and what is the perfec chest routine to increase bench press. My max has been 435 for the last year and haft and I have been doing pyramid till fAiller.

Thanks

Last edited by Ghost86; 04-27-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Ghost86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #320
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost86 View Post
Hi CrazyBeard !

How many set and exercises should I do for chest....and what is the perfec chest routine to increase bench press. My max has been 435 for the last year and haft and I have been doing pyramid till fAiller.

Thanks
Hi Ghost, if your max is around 435 then there isn't really much I can teach you. You should really be basing training of off how your body responds.

Any videos of your bench? I'd love to take a look.

Share with Facebook