Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #221
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100 Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100 Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewardrop View Post
What do you think of these macros for a teenager 16 yo 222 5'9 trying to lose weight , weight lift 3-4x a week + other activities
Cal 2600
pro 260
carb 260
fat 58

what would you suggest?

I have been working out for 7 months ,a lot of gains but now time to lose the fat.

Thanks + i got my macros from Physiques of Greatness
Did you gain the extra weight from an aggressive bulk? If so where were you when you started?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #222
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100 Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100 Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayjeremy View Post
Huge Gainer Early Intermediate Strength Building 4 Day Split | Huge Gainer

Hey BBOD,

My gym doesn't have a leg press which can be plate loaded. It is a typical stack leg-press.

1) For Legs day 1, should I just keep using the leg press until I max the stack?
Or can I use another machine for the volume such as hack squats which my gym has and can be plate loaded?

2) Also, do you have any recommendations for forearm Size training? I've gotten over the "Strapless only" training so I'm not worried at all if my grip strength is weakened by doing extra forearm work.
1) I would use the leg press until you are able to do 20 reps with the max weight, unless this is going to happen within a matter of weeks. In that case I would use a different exercise.

2) These types of programs will build a lot of quality forearm size simply from all the gripping and holding of bars. You really won't need to add in any extra forearm work.

After a few years, after you have built some good arm size, you should notice that your forearms grew in size as well.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #223
Thewardrop
Thewardrop
has no status.
Points: 215, Level: 4 Points: 215, Level: 4 Points: 215, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7 months
Fav Exercise: Bench press
My Mood: Relaxed
Thewardrop is off to a bad start

i was 230 when i started 7 months ago but i lost fat and gained muscle through newbie gains and puberty i started counting macros to lose weight 1 week ago at 225
Thewardrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #224
tayjeremy
tayjeremy
Always learning, Always Lifting
Brawn
Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Fav Exercise: DEADLIFTS
Fav Supp: Creatine
My Mood: Blah
tayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
1) I would use the leg press until you are able to do 20 reps with the max weight, unless this is going to happen within a matter of weeks. In that case I would use a different exercise.

2) These types of programs will build a lot of quality forearm size simply from all the gripping and holding of bars. You really won't need to add in any extra forearm work.

After a few years, after you have built some good arm size, you should notice that your forearms grew in size as well.
Alright, thanks! Nice video you just posted out haha!

I've been doing most of my work double overhand gripped and using straps when I really need. Thanks!
tayjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #225
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
i was 230 when i started 7 months ago but i lost fat and gained muscle through newbie gains and puberty i started counting macros to lose weight 1 week ago at 225
My first recommendation would be to not worry about macros so much as cleaning up your diet the next 2 years. There were bad habits involved with your weight gain, and you want to analyze what they were and remove them.

Instead of "cutting" the next couple of years, focus on eating mostly clean foods until satiety. You need to retrain yourself to eat properly.

Also, along with this make sure you eat at least 150 grams of protein per day.

This combination should serve you well.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #226
Thewardrop
Thewardrop
has no status.
Points: 215, Level: 4 Points: 215, Level: 4 Points: 215, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7 months
My Mood: Relaxed
Thewardrop is off to a bad start

thanks alot Bearded Duloc lol my eating has been good for a while now and i look better too, but i keep getting told i can only either "bulk or "cut" too. thanks again
Thewardrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #227
fwinfield
fwinfield
has no status.
Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Fullbody
fwinfield is new to the forumfwinfield is new to the forumfwinfield is new to the forum

Hey BBOD,

Your videos and advice are great and have helped me a lot. I have started doing a full body workout about 3 months ago. Some questions:

1) For chest building, what would you recommend, flat bench press or a combo of incline and decline?

2) For muscle and strength gains, is it better to do sets of 5 reps or 10 reps? (obviously focusing on progressive overload). Right now I'm doing 2 sets of 10 reps for each exercise in my full body workout (except for deadlifts), but I feel I could progress faster if I did sets of 5 reps.

3) After doing squats and deadlifts I usually end up with some kind of tension and very minor pain in the lower back, after about 5 to 10 minutes it is gone. Is this normal or may I be doing something wrong? I really don't wanna get some bad injuries.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by fwinfield; 04-02-2013 at 11:11 PM.
fwinfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2013, 05:36 AM   #228
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,543, Level: 68 Points: 10,543, Level: 68 Points: 10,543, Level: 68
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Training Exp: 3.5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

What would you recommend when it comes to trying to learn a low bar squat or a powerlifting style squat with a really wide stance? I've been trying to throw some in now and then but its impossible for me to hit depth/ get my hips below knee. The way my body is I am most comfortable squatting with a narrower stance and I can get really low. So with a max squat of 400 one time ever should I even be worried about this wide stance or just focus on progressing with what I'm comfortable with?
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #229
syn
syn
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
My Mood: Buzzed
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

Hey man, Just watched your new youtube vid on test booster.
Do you know of some good products to try out aside from the horny goat weed.

Is I had a quick search on Google, and ZMA seems to pop up a lot.

I might try something out, as I burn out quickly and I left it kinda late in life to take up physical activities. Might help

Thanks
syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #230
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
thanks alot Bearded Duloc lol my eating has been good for a while now and i look better too, but i keep getting told i can only either "bulk or "cut" too. thanks again

I would get as strong as you can until the age of 18, work on improving exercise form, and also focus on clean eating and developing good eating habits. I think you will be surprised how much this will help.

Share with Facebook