Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #1631
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,438, Level: 67 Points: 10,438, Level: 67 Points: 10,438, Level: 67
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Training Exp: 3.5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Flat side of plate on inside or outside?
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #1632
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
Flat side of plate on inside or outside?
Inside. Makes putting, and taking off, 10 plates easier.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #1633
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanePower View Post
If I bench 3x per week max, on the other days do I just not press and/or maybe do a pulling movement for back or can I do something like the Overhead Press or the Behind the Neck Press? I'm pretty familiar with Squatting 3x per week, and I wanted to bump up my frequency in a Bulgarian style to see if it could help. I know I'm really only supposed to Deadlift 1-2x per week since it is the most demanding exercise, but I wasn't too sure about how I'd structure my presses.
I would alternate between press and squat/deadlift days. I personally keep them more by feel, and insert days off when I need them.

I always squatted then followed them up with a deadlift variation that wasn't from the floor. I found no benefit to frequent deadlifting, or pulling above 90%.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #1634
BanePower
BanePower
has no status.
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Fav Exercise: Squat
BanePower is new to the forumBanePower is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would alternate between press and squat/deadlift days. I personally keep them more by feel, and insert days off when I need them.

I always squatted then followed them up with a deadlift variation that wasn't from the floor. I found no benefit to frequent deadlifting, or pulling above 90%.
Gotcha. Thanks!
BanePower is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #1635
mikehouse101
mikehouse101
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,209, Level: 19 Points: 1,209, Level: 19 Points: 1,209, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 42
Fav Exercise: Dead Lift
Fav Supp: Gaspari's Vasatropin
My Mood: Inspired
mikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The main thing I recommend is moving slow. Allow your body to adapt to lifting again and take it relatively easy the first month, meaning focus on finding that form groove again and slowly adding weight only when it feels right.

I hate to see guys go in and kill it right away. You'll know when things are in a nice groove and you can start to move along more quickly.

Once those first 3-4 weeks are done, then I would jump back into your old programming and smash on.
Thanks for the feedback!!!
mikehouse101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2014, 02:32 AM   #1636
Bane11
Bane11
has no status.
Points: 1,237, Level: 19 Points: 1,237, Level: 19 Points: 1,237, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Bane11 is new to the forumBane11 is new to the forumBane11 is new to the forum

Hi there BTB. After a couple of months of doing a full body workout three days a week, 1 exercise per body part except back which got 2, I've decided to move on to an upper/lower body split which is done every other day. Just a question on volume. What do you think if I did 3 exercises for the large body parts 2 exercises for the smaller muscle groups and the sets would be cut down from 3 to 2 work sets so I wouldn't overdo the volume? For example workout out 1 would be chest, back, shoulders, abs

Bench press 28
Incline press 28
Flys 28-12

Chins or pull downs 28
Rows 28
Deadlifts 28

Front press 28
Side raises 28-12
Rear raises 28-12

Knee raises 210-15
Crunches 210-15

Workout 2 legs and arms

Squats 2-38
Leg press 28
Leg curls 28-12
Calf raises 28-12
Calf press 28-12

Barbell curls 28
Incline curls 28-12
Lying extensions 28
Press downs 28-12

Appreciate any answer.
Bane11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #1637
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane11 View Post
Hi there BTB. After a couple of months of doing a full body workout three days a week, 1 exercise per body part except back which got 2, I've decided to move on to an upper/lower body split which is done every other day. Just a question on volume.
Sure thing.

Quote:
What do you think if I did 3 exercises for the large body parts 2 exercises for the smaller muscle groups and the sets would be cut down from 3 to 2 work sets so I wouldn't overdo the volume?
That's similar to what I do on my upper/lowers.

I also sometimes do 3 sets for the big lift, then 2 sets for the following 2 exercises.

Either way, the volume is perfect and I think it will serve you well.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2014, 06:37 AM   #1638
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 8,054, Level: 60 Points: 8,054, Level: 60 Points: 8,054, Level: 60
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Hi Steve,

I was wondering weather how many calories you get during the whole week, collectively, is more important than how many calories you get each day.

For example, if a lifter needs 21000 calories a week, is it important to get those calories spaced out evenly into 3000 each day, or can they have more one day, and less on another, as long as it all adds up to 21000 at the end of the week.

I think sometimes it's easier for me to eat on a weekly scale when I'm busy on collage trips, so I just wondered weather this could effect my strength and muscle gain.(anabolic window of 24 hours and so on)

If you could give me some insight here that'd be great.

Thanks

- Linden
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #1639
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Hi Steve,

I was wondering weather how many calories you get during the whole week, collectively, is more important than how many calories you get each day.

Yes. But with that said, if there is a high degree of variance I wouldn't consider it optimal. I think it's better to strive for a minimum intake level no matter what.

If, for example, you are striving for 3,000 a day and that is 400 over your maintenance, I would set your minimum goal at 2600.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #1640
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 8,054, Level: 60 Points: 8,054, Level: 60 Points: 8,054, Level: 60
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Yes. But with that said, if there is a high degree of variance I wouldn't consider it optimal. I think it's better to strive for a minimum intake level no matter what.
Right I see, that's sort of how I thought it'd be.
There's some lee way to be had, but too large a gap between days is likely to do you a disservice.

Just out of interest, is that because of the anabolic window and recovery for your next session?

Quote:
If, for example, you are striving for 3,000 a day and that is 400 over your maintenance, I would set your minimum goal at 2600.
Right, so don't go into a deficit, basically. Got ya.

Thanks allot.

- Linden
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook