Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #1611
Hywelbane
Hywelbane
Brb lifting
Max Brawn
Points: 2,957, Level: 33 Points: 2,957, Level: 33 Points: 2,957, Level: 33
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 8
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Yeehaw
Hywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That's a very good question. My OHP was around 70% of my bench, give or take.

The first thing I would probably have you do is work with more reps. Give them a try, maybe 3 sets with 135 for as many reps as possible. When you can hit 25 reps total for all three sets (not 25 per set), then add 5 pounds. Start focusing on adding at least one rep per week.

By pushing sets for as many reps as possible, you will be recruiting more fibers, and hopefully building more strength.

Secondly, I would try a form of dumbbell overheads after your barbells. Either Arnolds or one or two arm overhead presses. Do about 10 rep sets.

Give this combo a try for 6 months and see if it pays off.
Sounds good, will give it a try and see. Thanks BTB.

Hywelbane is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #1612
wishes
wishes
has no status.
Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

wishes is new to the forumwishes is new to the forum

Quote:
Sure, give them a try. As long as you are progressing they will serve you well.
ok thanks i've been using the parallel grip on the lat pull down and it feels amazing man. btw i wanted to ask you this sooner but i forgot lo i know that on the HLM site you put legs as the first exercise but what do you think of starting a full body workout with the upper body instead? many guys like steve reeves or leroy colbert followed that philosophy. i'd like to know your personal opinion steve
wishes is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #1613
Powerlifter478
Powerlifter478
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 155, Level: 3 Points: 155, Level: 3 Points: 155, Level: 3
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: A Hole
Powerlifter478 is new to the forumPowerlifter478 is new to the forum
Default Programs?

I really interested in get more knowledgeable in powerlifting. Ive been using the conjugate method but feel its not the most optimal program for what im trying to accomplish.Im training raw and completely natural and feel that all the max effort work is not giving me the proper recovery I need.Ive been looking in to block periodization what do you suggest?
Powerlifter478 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #1614
Simonb26189
Simonb26189
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Gorilla Beast Press
Simonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good start
Default Injured shoulder what do i do now for progress?

Hi Steve, Since watching your youtube vids I've been focusing on pushing for progression for the past 9 months now and have improved massively on all my lifts which is great and have put on a little bit of muscle in the process.

However i've run into a problem, yesterday for the first time ever i felt my shoulder twinge on the overhead press, I didnt do anything i wouldnt normally do in a shoulder workout but today it hurts quite a lot when i twist it or push it in a particular angle and i'm pretty sure i cant do any sort of exercise now until it has healed.

Since this little episode i'm now very paranoid about lifting heavy on my shoulders (usually do between 5-10 reps on overhead presses).

So my question is, since I dont want to lift very heavy on shoulders anymore and risk another injury, can i still make progress without forcing my muscles to push such heavy weight? If so what would you recommend i do to continue making good progress for muscle gain? My delts are also a lagging bodypart which doesnt help so i always go as heavy as i can whilst maintaining decent form.

I was never a huge fan of lifting heavy I just did it because i thought it would be the best way to force my body to adapt to stress and build muscle, but since i dont really want to lift heavy anymore I dont know what to do from this point on...
Simonb26189 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #1615
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishes View Post
ok thanks i've been using the parallel grip on the lat pull down and it feels amazing man. btw i wanted to ask you this sooner but i forgot lo i know that on the HLM site you put legs as the first exercise but what do you think of starting a full body workout with the upper body instead? many guys like steve reeves or leroy colbert followed that philosophy. i'd like to know your personal opinion steve
You can do squats least. I like to go from big lifts to small lifts, but in the case of squats, I can see why it's enjoyable to hit them on the way out of the gym.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #1616
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlifter478 View Post
I really interested in get more knowledgeable in powerlifting. Ive been using the conjugate method but feel its not the most optimal program for what im trying to accomplish.Im training raw and completely natural and feel that all the max effort work is not giving me the proper recovery I need.Ive been looking in to block periodization what do you suggest?
What are your current strength levels for the 3 lifts, as well as your height, weight and age?

Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #1617
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonb26189 View Post
Hi Steve, Since watching your youtube vids I've been focusing on pushing for progression for the past 9 months now and have improved massively on all my lifts which is great and have put on a little bit of muscle in the process.
Glad to hear it.

Quote:
However i've run into a problem, yesterday for the first time ever i felt my shoulder twinge on the overhead press, I didnt do anything i wouldnt normally do in a shoulder workout but today it hurts quite a lot when i twist it or push it in a particular angle and i'm pretty sure i cant do any sort of exercise now until it has healed.
Tell me more about the variation...seated, standing, behind the neck, front? If you can, get a video of you using just the bar (or a broomstick) and show me how this lift looks. I might be able to point out if something is wrong.

Also note that injuries are part of the game. They are part of the process. We have to learn from them, improve form, and maybe tweak variations to see if it helps.

Quote:
So my question is, since I dont want to lift very heavy on shoulders anymore and risk another injury,
You risk injury on every workout.

Quote:
can i still make progress without forcing my muscles to push such heavy weight?
No.

There are no big and relatively weak natural lifters. I wish it were otherwise, but that's the reality. Part of the game is learning from mistakes and improving form. Even when doing so, you can't avoid injuries.

No matter how you train, there has to be progression involved.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-19-2014 at 06:57 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #1618
Powerlifter478
Powerlifter478
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 155, Level: 3 Points: 155, Level: 3 Points: 155, Level: 3
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: A Hole
Powerlifter478 is new to the forumPowerlifter478 is new to the forum

Quote:
What are your current strength levels for the 3 lifts, as well as your height, weight and age?
Deadlift (440) Squat (430) Bench (320).Im 23 5'11 195lbs.I would really like to focus on building a bigger squat and deadlift.

Last edited by Powerlifter478; 05-19-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Powerlifter478 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #1619
JoschaGER
JoschaGER
has no status.
Points: 522, Level: 10 Points: 522, Level: 10 Points: 522, Level: 10
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JoschaGER has made some quality postsJoschaGER has made some quality postsJoschaGER has made some quality postsJoschaGER has made some quality postsJoschaGER has made some quality postsJoschaGER has made some quality posts

Wow this page becomes busier every time I visit it

Quick question to you Steve:
Any recommendations for a book or an author on nutrition for natural lifters?

Greets,
Joscha
JoschaGER is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #1620
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoschaGER View Post
Wow this page becomes busier every time I visit it

Quick question to you Steve:
Any recommendations for a book or an author on nutrition for natural lifters?

Greets,
Joscha
Good question, and yes...

Check this out:

http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ead.php?t=4289

Share with Facebook