Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #1551
alexbegins
alexbegins
has no status.
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

alexbegins is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
For teens, I recommend cleaning up eating habits, eating to satiety, and not fudging with dieting plans. An added 15-20 pounds of muscle will lower your bodyfat and make you look 10x better.

No calorie restriction for teens. Eat until full, but make better food choices.
Is this really it? When I started out that's exactly what I did, I counted my calories and was at a 300-400 surplus, I did 5x5 and go my bench to 72.5kg, squat to 97.5kg, row to 60kg all 5x5. I gained weight and I took regular pictures, but all I saw was an increase of fat on my stomach ;/

But what do you think of eating at a deficit on non workout days and on workout days at a surplus, which would put me at maintenance in all total?

I know you said eat till full, but I think my metabolism is whack and I would rather have a system to go after. Plus I get full really easy, I can eat 2000 calories per day and feel totally fine

I have cut out pretty much all sugars, haven't ate candy, chocolate etc in months. Only sugar I eat is probably jam with rice pudding after workout, I only drink water etc

Training wise now I am noting down everything I do and try to push more weight or more reps every time I train.

Last edited by alexbegins; 05-05-2014 at 01:22 PM.
alexbegins is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #1552
Chirag
Chirag
is trying to get strong
Brawn
Points: 364, Level: 7 Points: 364, Level: 7 Points: 364, Level: 7
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Chirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good posts

Hey BtB!

I wanted to know what your experience was with grip styles in military press. Should you use a false grip or normal grip? I've tried both and felt stronger with false grip. Any advice, on which is better/safer? Thanks in advance!

Chirag
Chirag is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #1553
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbegins View Post

But what do you think of eating at a deficit on non workout days and on workout days at a surplus, which would put me at maintenance in all total?

You grow on off days. Your protein synthesis levels are elevated, and you are trying to recovery.

I am simply not a fan of chasing 2 goals at the same time. It can be something a highly experienced lifter might try, but it will only short change gains for others who should be gaining rapidly.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #1554
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirag View Post
Hey BtB!

I wanted to know what your experience was with grip styles in military press. Should you use a false grip or normal grip? I've tried both and felt stronger with false grip. Any advice, on which is better/safer? Thanks in advance!

Chirag
I am never a fan of a false grip. It is inherently dangerous, and works against staying tight, which is an essential part of maintain proper form and staving off injuries.

I would rather see you utilize a normal grip and progress, personally.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #1555
Andris
Andris
has no status.
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1

Andris is new to the forumAndris is new to the forum

Hi, Steve!

I have question about sleep. Night after workout i have bad sleep. Before workout i feel lazy, during workout i start feeling like have high adrenaline level and that feeling i have during the night. First ~6 hours wake up some times, after that it is very hard to get sleep and i fall to sleep just for some minutes and then wake up again. Next night i have great sleep. I can not understand - i do not push myself enough in gym and have too much energy (i try do my best, but in last month get feeling that i could do more) or i got too much stress to my CNS?
Andris is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #1556
Andris
Andris
has no status.
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1

Andris is new to the forumAndris is new to the forum

And how determine - i push enough or no? Just... in august, 2013 i was overweight - 95kg 172 cm, i start do cardio and go to gym, in 5 months i got 63-67kg. In 2014 i start to try to build muscle carefully (because i do not want to get fat), i get progression on weights, but not in muscle building. I add calories over the time and in april i turn into skinny fat. So, conclusion - in first months i do not eat enough and now i do not push enough in gym? Btw, sleep problem i have ~from November.

Regards, Andris
Andris is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #1557
Chirag
Chirag
is trying to get strong
Brawn
Points: 364, Level: 7 Points: 364, Level: 7 Points: 364, Level: 7
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Chirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I am never a fan of a false grip. It is inherently dangerous, and works against staying tight, which is an essential part of maintain proper form and staving off injuries.

I would rather see you utilize a normal grip and progress, personally.
Thanks! I've tried using both and I always feel weaker when trying to use a regular grip. I think it might be mental so I'll give it a shot next time I press and see if I can work around it!
Chirag is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #1558
TDawg75
TDawg75
All Pro Fatback
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
My Mood: Mellow
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Hey, BTB. I have a meet coming up next Saturday(my first meet). It was suggested, for bench, that I warm up like I normally do, but then to overload the bar a little. Then unrack, lower it a couple inches, and rerack in order to trick my CNS into activating more muscle or something like that. Should I try that or not?

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510

Last edited by TDawg75; 05-09-2014 at 08:48 PM.
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #1559
Strongman117
Strongman117
I want to be as strong as possible.
Brawn
Points: 531, Level: 10 Points: 531, Level: 10 Points: 531, Level: 10
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Sumo deadlift
Fav Supp: no supplement
My Mood: Yeehaw
Strongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good posts
Default Opinion on my 7 week powerlifting peaking workout

This programm is for intermediate lifter who want to prepare for a meet or just increase their strength and size.
At first you need to know your 1 RM for the 4 major lift: Squat,Bench,Deadlift and the shouler press or military press. If not load a barbell with 80-85 % of want you think is your 1 RM and do AMAP as possible, then use this formula:
X LBS x X reps x0,0333 + X LBS lifted.
Example: 200 x 8 reps=1600LBS x0.0333=53,28 lbs+200= 253,28 lbs 1RM

After you find out your max add 20 lbs for Squat,15lbs for Deadlift and10 lbs for Bench and Overhead press.Those number will be yor project max of your workout.

Week1: 5 sets of 8reps @60 % of your project max
Week 2: 5 sets of 8 reps @70% of your project max
Week3: 4 sets of 6 reps @75% of your project max
Week4:4 sets of 4-5 reps@80% of your project max
Week5: 3 sets of 3 reps @85% of your project max
Week6: 2 sets of 2 reps@90% of your project max
Week7: 1 set of 1 rep@95% of your project max
*Week8: deload ! Take that easy before a meet or if you don't have a meet just make the blood flow and repeat programm again.

For assistance work i left that to your judgement feel free to do the exercices who will help you to be stronger.
For programmation i recommend 4 day split, but if you can't go 4 times a week i let you free to schedule that the way you want.
Strongman117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #1560
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongman117 View Post
This programm is for intermediate lifter who want to prepare for a meet or just increase their strength and size.
At first you need to know your 1 RM for the 4 major lift: Squat,Bench,Deadlift and the shouler press or military press. If not load a barbell with 80-85 % of want you think is your 1 RM and do AMAP as possible, then use this formula:
X LBS x X reps x0,0333 + X LBS lifted.
Example: 200 x 8 reps=1600LBS x0.0333=53,28 lbs+200= 253,28 lbs 1RM

After you find out your max add 20 lbs for Squat,15lbs for Deadlift and10 lbs for Bench and Overhead press.Those number will be yor project max of your workout.

Week1: 5 sets of 8reps @60 % of your project max
Week 2: 5 sets of 8 reps @70% of your project max
Week3: 4 sets of 6 reps @75% of your project max
Week4:4 sets of 4-5 reps@80% of your project max
Week5: 3 sets of 3 reps @85% of your project max
Week6: 2 sets of 2 reps@90% of your project max
Week7: 1 set of 1 rep@95% of your project max
*Week8: deload ! Take that easy before a meet or if you don't have a meet just make the blood flow and repeat programm again.

For assistance work i left that to your judgement feel free to do the exercices who will help you to be stronger.
For programmation i recommend 4 day split, but if you can't go 4 times a week i let you free to schedule that the way you want.
I think it's very good. I'd run it. Well done!

Share with Facebook