Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #1451
elfmanscoop
elfmanscoop
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

elfmanscoop has made some quality postselfmanscoop has made some quality postselfmanscoop has made some quality postselfmanscoop has made some quality postselfmanscoop has made some quality postselfmanscoop has made some quality posts

Hey Steve every time I do wide bench press I seem to have a sore shoulder for the next couple of days just wondering if this was common and if you have any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
elfmanscoop is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #1452
Reefboy1980
Reefboy1980
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Mood: Lurking
Reefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality posts

I'm currently injured ( pulled ribs ) everytime I go back in the gym I seem to pull them again even after a couple of weeks off. I'm thinking I'm going to need to take a good 4 weeks off from the gym so my question is, how do I minimise muscle lose during my recovery which is looking like a month away from lifting?
Reefboy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #1453
markdykoff
markdykoff
has no status.
Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Inspired
markdykoff has made some quality postsmarkdykoff has made some quality postsmarkdykoff has made some quality postsmarkdykoff has made some quality postsmarkdykoff has made some quality postsmarkdykoff has made some quality posts
Default next step

Steve,

I've been doing your Get Huge 2year program from Muscle&Strength and I've got a question on Stage 6. I've been in the last stage for about a month and I've started struggling to maintain the weights I'm lifting on the heavy sets (2x4-6). I'm currently using the following working weights

BP 230
squat 305
DL 335
BTN press 155

I'm having trouble progressing on the heavy sets since coming off the 5x5 and moving into the lower volume stage. I'm progressing on the higher rep sets for bench and squat and progressing on rows and the isolation exercises. My goals are getting up to 1rm's of 450/300/500 a year from now and i was wondering what you thought of doing your PMB 3 or 4 day split or the Power 8 workout you have posted instead of stage 6 of the 2year program. They look like they are structured similarly but both those workouts have higher volume of the heavy lifts.

My diet is dialed in to get about a pound or two of growth every month and I was a complete novice a year ago with a sub 135 bench and squat about a 150 deadlift. I'm 37 years old 5'10" and about 270. I really want to hit those 1rm's maybe do a powerlifting meet then start a cut in 2015.

Thanks
Mark
markdykoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #1454
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfmanscoop View Post
Hey Steve every time I do wide bench press I seem to have a sore shoulder for the next couple of days just wondering if this was common and if you have any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It can be common. I used to have issues from benching. Best thing I can recommend is taking a video so we can check your form, and getting a bench Slingshot.

The Slingshot really helped me to improve my benching without shoulder pain.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #1455
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefboy1980 View Post
I'm currently injured ( pulled ribs ) everytime I go back in the gym I seem to pull them again even after a couple of weeks off. I'm thinking I'm going to need to take a good 4 weeks off from the gym so my question is, how do I minimise muscle lose during my recovery which is looking like a month away from lifting?
I would keep eating as normal. Don't change your diet or protein intake. I would also consider trying to do deload workouts during this time...training with 60-70% your normal weight, slightly reduced volume, and the same reps. I would try this for a week and see how the ribs feel.

Worse comes to worse, any minimal amount of muscle you do lose will come back very quickly once you return to the gym.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #1456
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdykoff View Post
Steve,

I've been doing your Get Huge 2year program from Muscle&Strength and I've got a question on Stage 6. I've been in the last stage for about a month and I've started struggling to maintain the weights I'm lifting on the heavy sets (2x4-6). I'm currently using the following working weights

BP 230
squat 305
DL 335
BTN press 155

Thanks
Mark
Hi Mark and welcome to MAB.

Your strength levels look good. Congrats on the progress.

Quote:
I'm having trouble progressing on the heavy sets since coming off the 5x5 and moving into the lower volume stage. I'm progressing on the higher rep sets for bench and squat and progressing on rows and the isolation exercises.
It's normal for progress to slow over time. Just know that this is normal and nothing is wrong.

Quote:
My goals are getting up to 1rm's of 450/300/500 a year from now and i was wondering what you thought of doing your PMB 3 or 4 day split or the Power 8 workout you have posted instead of stage 6 of the 2year program. They look like they are structured similarly but both those workouts have higher volume of the heavy lifts.

My diet is dialed in to get about a pound or two of growth every month and I was a complete novice a year ago with a sub 135 bench and squat about a 150 deadlift. I'm 37 years old 5'10" and about 270. I really want to hit those 1rm's maybe do a powerlifting meet then start a cut in 2015
At this point you have been committed to training and making the switch to a different plan wouldn't be a bad thing. It's certainly worth a try. You know how to progress and make gains so I say go for it.

Any of those programs should serve you well. Just know they are starting points, and can be adjusted to fit your needs.

Good luck!

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2014, 03:27 AM   #1457
Likethebaldwin
Likethebaldwin
is keeping on.
Brawn
Points: 953, Level: 16 Points: 953, Level: 16 Points: 953, Level: 16
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1 year
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows/Bench Press
Fav Supp: Calories over maintenance
My Mood: Mellow
Likethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributor
Default A few questions...

Hey Steve,
thanks for your last reply.

I have a few more questions for you.

First, I was hoping you could give me your opinion on my current 4 day split:

Chest/Bis

5 sets of Barbell Bench Press 6 - 10 reps
5 sets of Incline Dumbbell Press 6 - 10 reps
4 sets of Cable Pec flies 8 - 10 reps
2 sets of explosive push ups AMAP

4 sets of chin ups AMAP
3 sets of single arm curls
3 sets of single arm incline bench curls

Quads/Hams

5 Sets of Squats 6 - 10 reps
4 sets of Leg Press 6 - 10 reps
4 sets of Lunges 6 - 10 reps
4 sets of Wide Goblet Squats 6 - 10 reps
4 sets of Hamstring Curls
( I only do one hamstring exercise because my hams get killed from the deadlifts on back day)
4 sets of standing calf raises 10 - 20 reps

Rest day

Shoulders

4 sets of Standing Military Press 6 - 10 reps
4 sets of seated barbell press 6 - 10 reps
4 sets of upright rows 6 - 10 reps
3 sets of lateral raises 8 - 12 reps
3 sets of reverse flies 8 - 12 reps

Back/Tris

4 sets of wide grip pull ups AMAP
4 sets of deadlifts 6 - 10 reps
4 sets of barbell rows 6 - 10 reps
4 sets of single arm dumbbell rows 6 - 10 reps
3 sets of reverse grip pull downs 6 - 10 reps

3 sets of close grip bench 6 - 10 reps
3 sets of dips 6 - 10 reps
3 sets of bodyweight skull crushers 6 - 10 reps

Let me know what you think!

My last question is about my bench press goals. I currently have a one rep max around 200 for my bench. Do you think it's reasonable to expect my bench to get up to 225 for reps over the course of a year?

Thanks in advance man!
Likethebaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 AM   #1458
Reefboy1980
Reefboy1980
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Reefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would keep eating as normal. Don't change your diet or protein intake. I would also consider trying to do deload workouts during this time...training with 60-70% your normal weight, slightly reduced volume, and the same reps. I would try this for a week and see how the ribs feel.

Worse comes to worse, any minimal amount of muscle you do lose will come back very quickly once you return to the gym.
I've tried de loading but the injury just comes back, last time I took 2 weeks off my ribs felt recovered but as soon as I started benching I could feel that I hadn't fully recovered, by the time I finished the workout I was back at square one. My diet hasn't changed so far since I've been off

I'm not sure whether to take the rest of this week off which will be 2 complete weeks off or just stay away until after my holiday which is in 4 weeks time

It's a really frustrating time not being able to hit the gym
Reefboy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #1459
Luko
Luko
has no status.
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

Luko is new to the forumLuko is new to the forum

Hey thanks alot for all the good content!

So I am 6ft 3 at 198lb (so still fairly beam pole like). I have been training for a year now on stronglifts 5x5. Now, I have pulled a 396lb deadlift, 310lb squat and 155lb bench (my ULTIMATE weak point). Always had a real time with the benching, my arms are 6ft5 long, but making gains non the less. I still havnt gained a ton of muscle size though and mosty of my training has been 5 rep. Was curious if you would recommend something like your early intermediate program too try and slab on a bit of muscle and make way for further strength gains on my bench + and other lifts? A concern, is going from 3 days a week of pressing, too 2 days.

THANKS ALOT! Keep up the good work
Luko is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #1460
alienboy
alienboy
has no status.
Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2

Training Exp: 1
Fav Exercise: dead lift
Fav Supp: creatine
alienboy is new to the forumalienboy is new to the forum

hey Steve first thanks for all the videos on YouTube I appreciate the free info. My question is I currently training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and I wanted to know what you thinks best for throwing people around power, I figured ask the beast, I want to get stronger to make up for weight differences, I'm 5"7 160 pounds, have gained 30 pounds, 12 pounds this past year, I have been training for about 1 year with weights. I have decided to do full body workouts because of the information you shared on one of your videos about non enhanced athletes. so here's my program. Chop away lol
and I'm still weak compared to most numbers I see people post..

I do power squats 215 for 10 reps
bench135 (I don't lock out) for 10
deadlift 275 for 10
overhead press 80 for 10

day1,3,5 all other days are rest and im training bjj 5 times a week

squat 2 sets of 10 heavy as I can do for all exercises
bench 2x10
deadlift 2x10
military press 2x10
bent over barbell rows overhand grip 2x10
bent over barbell rows underhand grip 2x10
pull ups 2x10
chin ups 2x10
good mornings2x10
and I keep my cardio sport specific I don't do anything extra except walk a lot at work

thanks for taking the time to read this
-nick
alienboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook