Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #1221
Hywelbane
Hywelbane
Brb lifting
Max Brawn
Points: 3,108, Level: 34 Points: 3,108, Level: 34 Points: 3,108, Level: 34
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 8
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Yeehaw
Hywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machine

Hey BTB, back again concerning my bench form. I worked on being tighter and having more control.

1st set is an angled view with 275
2nd set is side view of 295
3rd set is front view of 315

I think I may have overexaggerated using leg drive out of the bottom. Anymore fine tuning is very much appreciated!

Hywelbane is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #1222
jemag
jemag
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
jemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good posts

Hey Steve,

I am thinking of going into a more powerlifting oriented style of training. I would like to use the 9 week periodization that was posted on muscle and brawn and I just want to know if it's a good choice for me at this point in my training (http://muscleandbrawn.com/9-week-pow...aking-workout/)

Before this program I was running Wendler 5/3/1 and before that I was simply doing some uppper/lower split.

I lost some strength to an injury that I'm almost done recovering from, but my numbers are approximately as follow:
Bench: 215x5
Squat: 255x6
Deadlift: 335x5

So basically, is this a good time for me to start this program or am I still too much of a novice.

Thanks

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #1223
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post
Should I reconsider what I'm doing right now? Or is it just that being where am I right now you see me better doing a bit of a lighter weight for more reps more frequently so I can work on my form while getting stronger rather than doing triples and maxing out every month?
I never recommend deadlifting above 90% for anyone. All of my major lower back strains occurred from trying to pull too heavy. traing at a max of 85% on the deadlift for triples, or 75-80% for sets of 3-5 will serve you just fine. You just need to listen to your body and add weight when the sets feel manageable.

In addition, most guys who have not built a strength and muscle base don't really need to train any lift above 90%, unless they are peaking for a meet. I didn't train above 90% for 21 years or so. It was only when my strength was stalled with reps that I added some heavier work.

Quote:
I was thinking about trying the sumo deadlift, what do you think about it? do you think it could be benefitial to me?
It certainly doesn't hurt to try. Some guys love it, some guys hate it

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #1224
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hywelbane View Post
Hey BTB, back again concerning my bench form. I worked on being tighter and having more control.

1st set is an angled view with 275
2nd set is side view of 295
3rd set is front view of 315

I think I may have overexaggerated using leg drive out of the bottom. Anymore fine tuning is very much appreciated!
It looks good. Where are your pinkies/fingers compared to the rings? Where do you set them up?

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #1225
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemag View Post
Hey Steve,

I am thinking of going into a more powerlifting oriented style of training. I would like to use the 9 week periodization that was posted on muscle and brawn and I just want to know if it's a good choice for me at this point in my training (http://muscleandbrawn.com/9-week-pow...aking-workout/)

Before this program I was running Wendler 5/3/1 and before that I was simply doing some uppper/lower split.

I lost some strength to an injury that I'm almost done recovering from, but my numbers are approximately as follow:
Bench: 215x5
Squat: 255x6
Deadlift: 335x5

So basically, is this a good time for me to start this program or am I still too much of a novice.

Thanks
Hi Jemag.

You could try that program, see if you like it. I don't recommend it year round. I would do 9 weeks of peaking and then 12-16 of more rep work to build strength and muscle.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #1226
Hywelbane
Hywelbane
Brb lifting
Max Brawn
Points: 3,108, Level: 34 Points: 3,108, Level: 34 Points: 3,108, Level: 34
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 8
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Yeehaw
Hywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
It looks good. Where are your pinkies/fingers compared to the rings? Where do you set them up?
I usually set up by using my thumbs from the smooth. Not sure where that would put me compared to the rings.
During that bench session I put my pinkies on the rings.

Hywelbane is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #1227
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hywelbane View Post
During that bench session I put my pinkies on the rings.
Ok, that works.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #1228
andew101
andew101
has no status.
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

andew101 is off to a bad start

whats your 4 day split for GVT?
andew101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #1229
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by andew101 View Post
whats your 4 day split for GVT?
I created a new 4 day variation which can be found here:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/complete-g...lume-training/

Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #1230
Adamite1114
Adamite1114
Is getting bigger.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: on and off 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
My Mood: Mellow
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Does creatine monohydrate put on unwanted fat or water weight? Like many people claim.
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook