Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #1211
Weaponx25
Weaponx25
Powerful. .
THE HEART IS THERE
Brawn
Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 0 years 2 months
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Exercise: Hip sled.
Fav Supp: Creatine
Weaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good posts

BBOD

I got a gym membership at a new gym because it was $40 cheaper per month. The problem is that they don't have bench press area, squat area, or a dead lift area other than smith machines that can work for bench and for squats however for dead lift I had to be a little innovative. Do you see any problem with the way I had to do this? Will this cause injury in any way?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388518480.019868.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	12615

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weaponx25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #1212
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwinfield View Post
Hey BBOD, thank you for all the great information you give out. I would really appreciate if you could take a look at my squat form and share with me your thoughts.

Last week I was starting to raise a bit the poundage of my squat but I started to have pain in the pelvis/lower back region after finishing my sessions at the gym. So I went today, put little weight to the bar and recorded a small clip. Thanks a lot. Here's the link:

Welcome to the forum.

Overall you are on the right track but it looks like your feet and knees are forward. This must change. Keep your toes at a natural angle, 15 to 30 degrees and let those knees naturally open when descending.

Check this video I did on "picking up a quarter". It shows you how your knees should naturally flower during a squat rep.

Try taking another video from a front view.

Remember, no matter what changes you make your squat form should feel natural. Just open your toes a little and let your knees naturally open a little more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4qWvoYAu1Y

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #1213
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponx25 View Post
BBOD

I got a gym membership at a new gym because it was $40 cheaper per month. The problem is that they don't have bench press area, squat area, or a dead lift area other than smith machines that can work for bench and for squats however for dead lift I had to be a little innovative. Do you see any problem with the way I had to do this? Will this cause injury in any way?

Attachment 12615

I've had to limp through a year of Smith benching. Though it's not optimal, do what you have to do and get stronger doing it. It will pay off.

Be careful with that setup. As long as the plates aren't slipping you should be fine.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #1214
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veltor View Post
Hi BBOD,

I'm currently on a Upper/Lower Split training 4 days a week and I would like if you can check it out and tell me what do you think about it and if I should change anything.

You bet!

Quote:
Bent Over Barbell Row 3x8-12
Barbell Bench Press3x6-10
Pull Ups 3xMax as possible
Incline Dumbbell Press 3x8-12
Chin Ups 1xMax as possible
Dumbbell Seated Shoulder Press3x8-12
Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise 3x12-15
Barbell Curl 3x10-12
Skullcrusher 4x8-10
Do the hardest lifts first. I changed the order a bit.

Quote:
Leg Press 5x15-20 (I don't have a squat rack at my gym)
Deadlift 2xMax 5 reps
Leg Curl 3x12-15
Shrugs at Smith Machine 2xMax as possible (when I do 20 reps for the 2 sets, next time I increase the weight)
Planks
Weithed Sit Ups 2x15-20
I changed the order a bit, and added leg press sets and reps.

Go get it!

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #1215
Veltor
Veltor
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 10 months
Fav Supp: Food
Veltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Quote:
Bent Over Barbell Row 3x8-12
Barbell Bench Press3x6-10
Pull Ups 3xMax as possible
Incline Dumbbell Press 3x8-12
Chin Ups 1xMax as possible
Dumbbell Seated Shoulder Press3x8-12
Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise 3x12-15
Barbell Curl 3x10-12
Skullcrusher 4x8-10

Do the hardest lifts first. I changed the order a bit.

Quote:
Leg Press 5x15-20 (I don't have a squat rack at my gym)
Deadlift 2xMax 5 reps
Leg Curl 3x12-15
Shrugs at Smith Machine 2xMax as possible (when I do 20 reps for the 2 sets, next time I increase the weight)
Planks
Weithed Sit Ups 2x15-20

I changed the order a bit, and added leg press sets and reps.
Thank you BBOD, your help is always appreciate it. The other days that I posted (Upper B and Lower A) should remaind the same with the order change that you made?
Veltor is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #1216
Weaponx25
Weaponx25
Powerful. .
THE HEART IS THERE
Brawn
Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 0 years 2 months
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Exercise: Hip sled.
Fav Supp: Creatine
Weaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good posts

Quote:
I've had to limp through a year of Smith benching. Though it's not optimal, do what you have to do and get stronger doing it. It will pay off.

Be careful with that setup. As long as the plates aren't slipping you should be fine.

Thanks btb for all the help that you give it is truly appreciated.

Weaponx25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #1217
davez
davez
is trying to get bigger and stronger
Brawn
Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Starting Strength
My Mood: Relaxed
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Hello BHUD today I decided to record my deadlift just to see if everything was OK but much to my surprise my form looked pretty awful, I always thought i pulled with a straight back and now it looks all rounded and stuff, I dont have back pain from doing this, just a little bit of lower back soreness but it usually goes away next day, maybe is just the fact that the weight is pretty heavy for me (this is 90% of my 1RM). Perhaps you may be able to identify a weakness or something that I lack on my deadlift? any advice will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance:

122kg (268lbs) @80kg

To recap, here's an older video of me when I was a complete begginner
(I start doing deadlifts so you don't need to skip the video)
46kg (100lbs) @64kg BW
davez is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #1218
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veltor View Post
Thank you BBOD, your help is always appreciate it. The other days that I posted (Upper B and Lower A) should remaind the same with the order change that you made?
Glad to help.

Yes you can keep them the same.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #1219
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post
Hello BHUD today I decided to record my deadlift just to see if everything was OK but much to my surprise my form looked pretty awful, I always thought i pulled with a straight back and now it looks all rounded and stuff, I dont have back pain from doing this, just a little bit of lower back soreness but it usually goes away next day, maybe is just the fact that the weight is pretty heavy for me (this is 90% of my 1RM). Perhaps you may be able to identify a weakness or something that I lack on my deadlift? any advice will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance:
I really don't recommend training at 90% or above. It's simply not needed and often counterproductive. get your reps in, build strength and muscle while working on form.

Pull your feet back out from under the bar by inches. You're starting very, very close.

The second and third reps in the first video you did not sink your hips to a good leverage position. They started high.

You need to sink them to a good leverage point so your torso is not so far out over the bar. Then tighten (not hyperextend) that lower back and pull.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #1220
davez
davez
is trying to get bigger and stronger
Brawn
Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Starting Strength
My Mood: Relaxed
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Quote:
I really don't recommend training at 90% or above. It's simply not needed and often counterproductive. get your reps in, build strength and muscle while working on form.
Should I reconsider what I'm doing right now? Or is it just that being where am I right now you see me better doing a bit of a lighter weight for more reps more frequently so I can work on my form while getting stronger rather than doing triples and maxing out every month?

Quote:
Pull your feet back out from under the bar by inches. You're starting very, very close.
Yeah, I got a bit psyched up for that lift that I wasn't careful about my feet positioning.

Quote:
The second and third reps in the first video you did not sink your hips to a good leverage position. They started high.

You need to sink them to a good leverage point so your torso is not so far out over the bar. Then tighten (not hyperextend) that lower back and pull.
Yes, in fact I totally forgot to sink my hips and tighten my glutes, hamms and lower back at the beggining of each pull (even the first one, I really wasn't paying attention) I think this is the one thing that should fix the problem.

Well, thanks a lot for helping Just one last thing, I was thinking about trying the sumo deadlift, what do you think about it? do you think it could be benefitial to me?
davez is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook