Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:49 AM   #1201
Veltor
Veltor
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 10 months
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
Veltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality posts

Hi BBOD!!

I need some advice for bicep exercises. When I'm doing barbell curls and dumbbell curls my forearms are burning and I lose a lot of grip strenght before my biceps gets tired. In each workout I do 3 sets of bicep exercise in a upper/lower split (6 weekly sets for biceps), I don't do a billion sets for biceps if you're wondering.

So, do you know some exercise variation for that problem or some advice??

Thank you very much!!
Veltor is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #1202
Hywelbane
Hywelbane
Brb lifting
Max Brawn
Points: 2,809, Level: 32 Points: 2,809, Level: 32 Points: 2,809, Level: 32
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Training Exp: 8
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Yeehaw
Hywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributor

Hey BTB, I've been having a bit of pain where my right pec and shoulder meet. I have some videos of my bench form and was wondering if you could take a look and see if I'm neglecting something. So far I feel like maybe I'm not tucking my elbows enough.

Video from October 13th:

Video from today:

Hywelbane is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #1203
Johnd1985
Johnd1985
has no status.
Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift & Squat
Fav Supp: Positivity
Johnd1985 is new to the forumJohnd1985 is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Great work. Well done.

Good goals. Consider starting up a training log with us and sticking around.

Looks good. You are getting about 24 working reps in before speed work, and 48 with speed work. I would consider that a good volume for size and strength.

I recommend you start to become for intuitive. Then that last heavy single feels manageable, add 5 pounds. "Manageable" means you are confident that if you add 5 pounds next week you could get that too. This is how I trained for 2 years leading up to my big strength run and it packed on strength.

You are doing great...losing weight and building strength. Keep doing what you're doing. The only thing I want you do do with your assistance work, if you're not already doing it, is trying to get every muscle group from head to toe as insanely strong as possible.

Good luck!
Thanks BBOD, it's good to know you approve of the programme, I do try and cover every muscle group in my assistance work, but I avoid isolation exercises for things like calves, biceps etc. Typical assistance moves include

Power shrugs
Bb rows
Lat pull down
Incline bench
Dips
Front squats
Hang cleans
Face pulls

I do this because these are the sorts of movements I enjoy most, but I also think they will be more beneficial than biceps curls, or tricep kick backs in supporting my main lifts. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on that?

Finally one subject I would like to get some advice on is deloads, should I have a regular frequency or just put them in if I feel fatigued, and by how much weight should I be dropping down on a deload?

Thanks again,
John
Johnd1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #1204
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veltor View Post
Hi BBOD!!

I need some advice for bicep exercises. When I'm doing barbell curls and dumbbell curls my forearms are burning and I lose a lot of grip strenght before my biceps gets tired. In each workout I do 3 sets of bicep exercise in a upper/lower split (6 weekly sets for biceps), I don't do a billion sets for biceps if you're wondering.

So, do you know some exercise variation for that problem or some advice??

Thank you very much!!
I think you're best bet is just to keep focusing on progress on these barbell exercises while also adding some grip and forearm training, like static barbell holds in a rack along with high rep forearm curls.

There are no real bicep exercises that will relieve this. Your best get is to keep using the same lifts and improve your grip and forearm.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #1205
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hywelbane View Post
Hey BTB, I've been having a bit of pain where my right pec and shoulder meet. I have some videos of my bench form and was wondering if you could take a look and see if I'm neglecting something. So far I feel like maybe I'm not tucking my elbows enough.

Video from October 13th:

Video from today:
First off I notice you're doing a close grip bench press. Notice your wrists are well inside your elbows. They should at least be over your elbows. Focus on tucked your elbows a little while lowering the bar, and keep that upper body tight. Your eccentrics look a little fast and not controlled. You need a tight upper body, like a spring. This starts with the back.

Think about rowing the bar towards your chest, keeping those lats together.

If the problem is bad, I recommend training with a Slingshot for a couple months until you feel better.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arms.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	12582  

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #1206
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnd1985 View Post
Thanks BBOD, it's good to know you approve of the programme, I do try and cover every muscle group in my assistance work, but I avoid isolation exercises for things like calves, biceps etc. Typical assistance moves include

Power shrugs
Bb rows
Lat pull down
Incline bench
Dips
Front squats
Hang cleans
Face pulls

I do this because these are the sorts of movements I enjoy most, but I also think they will be more beneficial than biceps curls, or tricep kick backs in supporting my main lifts. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on that?

Finally one subject I would like to get some advice on is deloads, should I have a regular frequency or just put them in if I feel fatigued, and by how much weight should I be dropping down on a deload?

Thanks again,
John
Those are good lifts. You do need to strengthen every muscle group in the body. In the grand scheme of things rows do much more than face pulls, and strong biceps are needed for rowing and benching health. Too many benchers have really weak rows and pull ups ability, yet obsess over face pulls. this is backwards.

I would rather see you do inverted rows than lat pull downs.

Deload when you feel beat up. The concept of deloading is so overblown in the modern era. I rested an extra day or 2 when I was fatigued, or took a week off every 8-16 weeks if I felt like it.

Listen to your body and give it extra rest when you think it's appropriate.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-29-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #1207
Hywelbane
Hywelbane
Brb lifting
Max Brawn
Points: 2,809, Level: 32 Points: 2,809, Level: 32 Points: 2,809, Level: 32
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Training Exp: 8
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Yeehaw
Hywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
First off I notice you're doing a close grip bench press. Notice your wrists are well inside your elbows. They should at least be over your elbows. Focus on tucked your elbows a little while lowering the bar, and keep that upper body tight. Your eccentrics look a little fast and not controlled. You need a tight upper body, like a spring. This starts with the back.

Think about rowing the bar towards your chest, keeping those lats together.

If the problem is bad, I recommend training with a Slingshot for a couple months until you feel better.
Sounds good BTB, will work on my tightness and elbows. Thanks!

Hywelbane is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #1208
fwinfield
fwinfield
has no status.
Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench press
fwinfield is new to the forumfwinfield is new to the forumfwinfield is new to the forum
Default Squat form check

Hey BBOD, thank you for all the great information you give out. I would really appreciate if you could take a look at my squat form and share with me your thoughts.

Last week I was starting to raise a bit the poundage of my squat but I started to have pain in the pelvis/lower back region after finishing my sessions at the gym. So I went today, put little weight to the bar and recorded a small clip. Thanks a lot. Here's the link:

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-02-2014 at 09:49 AM.
fwinfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2013, 06:23 AM   #1209
Veltor
Veltor
has no status.
New Brawn

Veltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality posts

Quote:
I think you're best bet is just to keep focusing on progress on these barbell exercises while also adding some grip and forearm training, like static barbell holds in a rack along with high rep forearm curls.

There are no real bicep exercises that will relieve this. Your best get is to keep using the same lifts and improve your grip and forearm.
Thank you BBOD!! I'm going to keep using the barbell curl and dumbbell curls and improving my strenght on this couple exercises!!

Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #1210
Veltor
Veltor
has no status.
New Brawn

Default Upper/Lower Split

Hi BBOD,

I'm currently on a Upper/Lower Split training 4 days a week and I would like if you can check it out and tell me what do you think about it and if I should change anything.

Upper Body A:
  • Pull Ups 3xMax as possible
  • Chin Ups 1xMax as possible
  • Bent Over Barbell Row 3x8-12
  • Barbell Bench Press3x6-10
  • Incline Dumbbell Press 3x8-12
  • Dumbbell Seated Shoulder Press3x8-12
  • Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise 3x12-15
  • Barbell Curl 3x10-12
  • Skullcrusher 4x8-10

Lower Body A:
  • Smith Machine Squat 3x10-12 (I don't have a squat rack at my gym)
  • Leg Extensions 2x12-15
  • Leg Curl 2x12-15
  • Standing Calf Raise 3x12-15
  • Shrugs at Smith Machine 2xMax as possible (when I do 20 reps for the 2 sets, next time I increase the weight)
  • Weighted Hyperextensions 2x12-15
  • Weighted Sit Ups 2x15-20

Upper Body B:
  • Chin Ups 3xMax as possible
  • Pull Ups 1xMax as possible
  • Bent Over Barbell Row 3x8-12
  • Barbell Bench Press3x6-10
  • Incline Dumbbell Press 3x8-12
  • Dumbbell Seated Shoulder Press3x8-12
  • Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise 3x12-15
  • Dumbbell Curl 3x10-12
  • Seated Dumbbell French Press 4x8-10

Lower Body B:
  • Leg Press 3x10-12 (I don't have a squat rack at my gym)
  • Leg Curl 3x12-15
  • Shrugs at Smith Machine 2xMax as possible (when I do 20 reps for the 2 sets, next time I increase the weight)
  • Deadlift 2xMax 5 reps
  • Planks
  • Weithed Sit Ups 2x15-20

Share with Facebook