Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #1151
bigalfry
bigalfry
Contemplating my first competition...
Sasquats
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,614, Level: 43 Points: 4,614, Level: 43 Points: 4,614, Level: 43
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Beef
bigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributor

Hey BBOD,
I know when you first recommended a workout to me you had said give it three months and see how it goes. Its been over three months now and I think it's going great. I'm tipping the scales at just over 240 now and all my lifts have gone up. I even started growing out my beard for my journey into powerlifting.

My squats are much better - I've managed to stop my back from rounding. Still need to continue to work on my flexibility because I'm just a hair away from parallel right now. I'm still doing low rack pulls in place of deads since my back injury. But I'm thinking that I'll switch to lifting from the floor tomorrow. I'll start light and feel it out for a bit, really nail down my form and then start bumping the weight up again. In any event I'll take some vids tomorrow for form critique.

Anyway - on to my question:
I saw your video a while back (So you wanna be a powerlifter part 1) and you said to just sign up for a competition. So I took a look at powerlifting watch and found there is a push/pull coming up at the end of January in my area. I have huge respect for you and everything you do so I'd like your opinion here. Should I enter knowing that my dead-lift might not be at its best by then? Also I know there is a certain method for ramping up your lifts for meet prep - do I have enough time to prepare?
Deadlift 405
Total = 1061

Meet PRs:
TBD

Training Log:
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17327
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #1152
Mrinda87
Mrinda87
Snowed in and browsing the forums..
Brawn
Points: 902, Level: 16 Points: 902, Level: 16 Points: 902, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Overhead press
My Mood: Blah
Mrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good posts

Not sure if you've seen the videos. But what is your take onelliot hulses corrective deadlifting technique?
Mrinda87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #1153
calypso
calypso
has no status.
Points: 102, Level: 2 Points: 102, Level: 2 Points: 102, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

calypso is new to the forumcalypso is new to the forumcalypso is new to the forum
Default strength program

hello everyone!
I started training olympic lifting a few months ago, and need help with a strength program. currently I do an upper lower split 4 days a week. But since I need to improve my front squat I started running Smolov Jr.

do you think I should continue doing upper body 2 times a week? I train Olympic lifting 2-3x a week. Or will it be too much?
Or what would you do?

btw, I am 40years old and have been training on and of my whole life

Thanks,
Calypso
calypso is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #1154
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Sorry I missed these!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #1155
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalfry View Post
Hey BBOD,
I know when you first recommended a workout to me you had said give it three months and see how it goes. Its been over three months now and I think it's going great. I'm tipping the scales at just over 240 now and all my lifts have gone up. I even started growing out my beard for my journey into powerlifting.
Great! And beard power

Quote:
My squats are much better - I've managed to stop my back from rounding. Still need to continue to work on my flexibility because I'm just a hair away from parallel right now. I'm still doing low rack pulls in place of deads since my back injury. But I'm thinking that I'll switch to lifting from the floor tomorrow. I'll start light and feel it out for a bit, really nail down my form and then start bumping the weight up again. In any event I'll take some vids tomorrow for form critique.
My advice is to not go above 90% on floor deadlifts. Not needed in my opinion. Keep your heaviest work to about 85% tops until you are certain that back is good, then limit your ceiling to 90%.

Quote:
Anyway - on to my question:
I saw your video a while back (So you wanna be a powerlifter part 1) and you said to just sign up for a competition. So I took a look at powerlifting watch and found there is a push/pull coming up at the end of January in my area. I have huge respect for you and everything you do so I'd like your opinion here. Should I enter knowing that my dead-lift might not be at its best by then? Also I know there is a certain method for ramping up your lifts for meet prep - do I have enough time to prepare?
Yes. Don't worry about performance. Go see if you like it and have fun.

I wouldn't change your training at all for this first meet. I would cut your assistance work in half the last 3 weeks.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #1156
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrinda87 View Post
Not sure if you've seen the videos. But what is your take onelliot hulses corrective deadlifting technique?
I don't watch other channels, sorry. If you could give me his advice I would comment.

Likely we are teaching similar thing,s perhaps with different ways of saying it.

But I warm up with Hulse's max

Just cracking on him.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #1157
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypso View Post
hello everyone!
I started training olympic lifting a few months ago, and need help with a strength program. currently I do an upper lower split 4 days a week. But since I need to improve my front squat I started running Smolov Jr.

do you think I should continue doing upper body 2 times a week? I train Olympic lifting 2-3x a week. Or will it be too much?
Or what would you do?

btw, I am 40years old and have been training on and of my whole life

Thanks,
Calypso
If you are doing a specialization program like Smolov I would drop upper body work to once a week, or moderate volume twice a week.

Once Smolov is done I would ramp the upper body work back up some.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #1158
TDawg75
TDawg75
All Pro Fatback
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
My Mood: Mellow
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Another question for ya, BTB. The pull-up challenge in the challenge thread got me thinking.

I have NEVER been able to do a pull-up. Even when I was 200lbs lighter in the Marine Corps. Luckily for me, back then we could do kipping pull-ups. My weight is obviously a limitation now. I have always been able to do very heavy pulldowns, though. (I do understand the mechanical advantage provided by the cable/pulley setup). How can I go about determining what the weakness is. (arms, back, or both?) Are there other factors that affect one's ability to do a pull-up? (other than just being a wus).

We have a pull-up assist machine in my gym and I can't even currently do a pull-up with the full stack. I may not be able to improve my pull-up much right now whiule I am preparing for my meet, but I am gonna make it a priority after my meet. Not being able to do even one pull-up is pitiful no matter what my bodyweight is. I call myself a powerlifter, but can't even do a pull-up? That ain't right. I needs to put the power in powerlifter.

Thanks for any input/advice that you may have on this matter, big, hairy (though a little less hairy now), ugly dude.

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #1159
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg75 View Post
Another question for ya, BTB. The pull-up challenge in the challenge thread got me thinking.

I have NEVER been able to do a pull-up. Even when I was 200lbs lighter in the Marine Corps. Luckily for me, back then we could do kipping pull-ups. My weight is obviously a limitation now. I have always been able to do very heavy pulldowns, though. (I do understand the mechanical advantage provided by the cable/pulley setup). How can I go about determining what the weakness is. (arms, back, or both?) Are there other factors that affect one's ability to do a pull-up? (other than just being a wus).

We have a pull-up assist machine in my gym and I can't even currently do a pull-up with the full stack. I may not be able to improve my pull-up much right now whiule I am preparing for my meet, but I am gonna make it a priority after my meet. Not being able to do even one pull-up is pitiful no matter what my bodyweight is. I call myself a powerlifter, but can't even do a pull-up? That ain't right. I needs to put the power in powerlifter.

Thanks for any input/advice that you may have on this matter, big, hairy (though a little less hairy now), ugly dude.
I stink at pull ups too, even with incredible whole body strength. The best thing that can help guys like us is weight loss.

I would do inverted rows. You should be able to do them. They will help you build strength that can carry over to the pull up, or it is just a good pull up substitution if you are never able to do pull ups.

Here is how I do them, but with the bar slightly higher.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exe...eight-row.html

Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #1160
SCStrong
SCStrong
has a burning desire to be bigger.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,970, Level: 40 Points: 3,970, Level: 40 Points: 3,970, Level: 40
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
My Mood: Aggressive
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

I am a "smaller" &fairly strong overall person and I have always sucked a strict pull ups, too. They are just difficult.

Share with Facebook