Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #1111
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn View Post
I am interested in hearing about this too.

I have heard this method referred to as strategic over eating, I was doing this for about 5 months last year. at the time my maintenance was 2400
On training days I ate 3100, on rest days I ate 2300,
I gained weight/strength, but I don't know if it was better than steady surplus of calories everyday.

I have also heard that it doesn't really matter at all, once you are getting surplus by the end of the month
Undereating on recovery days isn't really a good idea. People who push ideas like this tend to get involved with a lot of overthinking.

It is better to be consistent and have minimum daily calorie and protein goals. I never found any value in having undereating days or using calorie cycling approaches while trying to build muscle and strength. That is stuff best left for cutting diets (if needed at all).

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-19-2013 at 06:31 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #1112
TDawg75
TDawg75
All Pro Fatback
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,258, Level: 35 Points: 3,258, Level: 35 Points: 3,258, Level: 35
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
My Mood: Mellow
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Glad to help.

Yes it can. Find something you enjoy, even if it's walking.

That's ok. They will only help with muscle building, which can help with strength in the long run. So if you like them, keep them.

Yes, but I also like rotation. I would recommend incline dumbbell bench one week, incline barbell the next. I always found benefit in doing both, but this is optional and personal. Just something to try if you want.
Thanks, Steve!

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2013, 01:56 AM   #1113
BobbyMac
BobbyMac
must break you
Brawn
Points: 1,193, Level: 18 Points: 1,193, Level: 18 Points: 1,193, Level: 18
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: about 3y (total combined)
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: goat milk
BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Creatine can help with energy and gym performance. It also tends to give you muscle pumps, which isn't anything I personally consider valuable... The other pump supplements are for people that want to star in mirrors and look at their temporary arm sizer increase.
Just as I suspected. I've used creatine before but haven't stuck to a program long enough to tell if it works for me or not. Mirrors hate me anyway so I'll avoid the other stuff.

Thanks, Beast!
BobbyMac is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #1114
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Heres the PM as you asked

Hi Steve
Was wondering if you could help me with a weight gain question.

As you saw in the shoutbox today I was disappointed that I hadn't gained as much weight as I thought, and wouldn't be able to reach my mini goal of 155lbs by 8 months.

I got allot of reassurance it was OK, and that made me feel better, just wanted to clarify some things with you personally though.

I remember you telling me that calithnetics guy I showed you, was around 155, and he had 8 months max begginer gains.

I did want to try and accomplish 155 in 8 months, but that doesn't look like its going to happen now, given the fact that I'd have to gain 5 pounds every 2 months to do that, 10 pounds in 4 months,

when I've only managed nearly 5 pounds in 1 month, and 1 and a half weeks.

We we're discussing getting the right balance in the shoutbox, between eating enough to grow optimally, but not eating so much you gain a load of fat.

Now, what you told me before about beginner teens being able to add mass, and have their bodyfat percentage stay the same although still gaining fat, Is exactly what's happened with me.
I've put on nearly 25 pounds now with no visible fat gain, and only muscle gains showing.

My question is, should I
.start eating more to try and hit 5 pounds every 2 months, and meet 155 @ 8 months in like you said I should
.Or carry on the way I'm going, even though my weight gain isn't where its expected to be.

Thanks

- Linden

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 11-20-2013 at 02:45 PM.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #1115
TobesLCFC
TobesLCFC
cutting
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Bearded beast,

What dumbell size would you recommend in order to hit the dumbell row strength goals that you highlight in that video you made? I was thinking about getting olympic dumbells that are 20 inches off amazon. Do you think this is a good idea or should i go for bigger ones?

Also, what rep ranges are good for rack pulls? I've heard they are pretty good for bodybuilding because they can be done at a high volume and higher frequency. Do you think they are great for building a huge back? I do deadlifts but i can't really handle doing more than one set 2x a week
( 5 RM is around 350lbs)

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." – Socrates

"I never saved anything for the swim back."

"Compound exercises, kids! Compound exercises!"

Last edited by TobesLCFC; 11-20-2013 at 04:44 PM.
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #1116
thescrawnyone
thescrawnyone
says that more beard means more gains
New Brawn
Points: 694, Level: 13 Points: 694, Level: 13 Points: 694, Level: 13
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: pull up
Fav Supp: milk
thescrawnyone has made some quality poststhescrawnyone has made some quality poststhescrawnyone has made some quality poststhescrawnyone has made some quality poststhescrawnyone has made some quality poststhescrawnyone has made some quality poststhescrawnyone has made some quality posts

yo beast, since I hit my deadlift PR of 140kg last week ive been struggling to do 3 reps of 100kg, i deadlift twice a week and none of my other lifts seem affected, should i just stop doing them for a week or so to recover?

cheers
thescrawnyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #1117
nihilist
nihilist
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

nihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good start
Default Core work recommendations

Hi Steve,
My squat and deadlift numbers are improving each week, but i would just like to get your recommendation on the best core exercises for these lifts.
I'm currently doing kneeling cable crunches for 3 sets of 15 reps followed by 2 sets of captains chair leg raises to failure. I do these after each squat and deadlift day.
I'm not lifting very heavy on either of these lifts yet, (squat-225 and deads 286), but as i get heavier i want to know that my core is not going to fail me. I am 45, 176lbs, 5'11". Also would you recommend wearing a belt for the heaviest lifts to avoid injury, and if so, how long or how many reps would you wait till you can reach before trying the heaviest lifts beltless. I understand that a belt is just a tool so i don't want to become too attached to one.
At the moment i'm doing an upper/lower split, training each body part at least twice a week. Thank you for all your advice. Mark
nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #1118
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Heres the PM as you asked

Hi Steve
Was wondering if you could help me with a weight gain question.

I'll try.

Quote:
As you saw in the shoutbox today I was disappointed that I hadn't gained as much weight as I thought, and wouldn't be able to reach my mini goal of 155lbs by 8 months.
That's a good rate. Your weight gained has to be surpassed by your strength gains, or it will be more fat than muscle.

Quote:
I did want to try and accomplish 155 in 8 months, but that doesn't look like its going to happen now, given the fact that I'd have to gain 5 pounds every 2 months to do that, 10 pounds in 4 months,
Stop focusing on arbitrary number goals based on other lifters. You need to focus on your training, your diet, and what you see in the mirror.

If you are adding a lot of muscle while eating aggressively, don't change anything.

Quote:
My question is, should I
.start eating more to try and hit 5 pounds every 2 months, and meet 155 @ 8 months in like you said I should
.Or carry on the way I'm going, even though my weight gain isn't where its expected to be.
Right now I want to see you limit gains to 2 pounds per month until summer 2014. Then reassess after that point. You are at a more normalized bodyweight right now. No need to be too aggressive anymore.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #1119
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
Bearded beast,

What dumbell size would you recommend in order to hit the dumbell row strength goals that you highlight in that video you made? I was thinking about getting olympic dumbells that are 20 inches off amazon. Do you think this is a good idea or should i go for bigger ones?

Also, what rep ranges are good for rack pulls? I've heard they are pretty good for bodybuilding because they can be done at a high volume and higher frequency. Do you think they are great for building a huge back? I do deadlifts but i can't really handle doing more than one set 2x a week
( 5 RM is around 350lbs)
If you train at home I think 20" spinlock handles are plenty. Mine are 24" and can handle up to 280, so I think 20" will be good for most lifters who aren't trying to become a superheavyweight.

I think rack pulls are a great choice. For muscle I would do low rack pulls in 5 or 8 rep sets.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #1120
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrawnyone View Post
yo beast, since I hit my deadlift PR of 140kg last week ive been struggling to do 3 reps of 100kg, i deadlift twice a week and none of my other lifts seem affected, should i just stop doing them for a week or so to recover?

cheers
Yes, I would. The deadlift is a fickle movement. Once you return, no more PR attempts for a while. Work on bringing up your 3 to 5 rep set.

Share with Facebook