Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #1071
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,520,400, Level: 100 Points: 1,520,400, Level: 100 Points: 1,520,400, Level: 100
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoschaGER View Post
Hey Bearded Beast, I havent read all the questions, so I might ask a question that has already been answered.
I really like the Writings of Stuart McRobert and was wondering if you know any Authors with similar views, or any good books in general on natural Bodybuilding that you would recommend.

Greets,
Joscha
I would recommend John Christy first and foremost.

Here is a thread we have:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #1072
Hywelbane
Hywelbane
Brb lifting
Max Brawn
Points: 3,012, Level: 33 Points: 3,012, Level: 33 Points: 3,012, Level: 33
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 8
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Yeehaw
Hywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machine

Dear bearded one yet again, I've got a slight problem. At my gym deadlifting has been pretty much banned for anyone who can deadlift over 315. Is there any programming you'd recommend for a "Pull" day that would increase my deadlift without actually doing deadlift? Thus far I was thinking heavy BB rows, heavy 1 arm rows, and adding in power shrugs.

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks in advance as well.

Hywelbane is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #1073
BobbyMac
BobbyMac
must break you
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,349, Level: 20 Points: 1,349, Level: 20 Points: 1,349, Level: 20
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: about 3y (total combined)
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: goat milk
BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
There is research that indicates that DOMS may not be muscle soreness at all, but rather connective tissue soreness.

Either way, it is not a good indicator of growth. I've been lifting for 28 years and certain muscle groups never get sore. Quads and shoulders for example. They are still big though, especially the quads.

Train for progress, not pain. If soreness happens, it happens. It means little though.
Good to know! I also can't get my shoulders sore for the life of me. Thought I was doing something wrong. Thanks again, Beast!
BobbyMac is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #1074
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,520,400, Level: 100 Points: 1,520,400, Level: 100 Points: 1,520,400, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hywelbane View Post
Dear bearded one yet again, I've got a slight problem. At my gym deadlifting has been pretty much banned for anyone who can deadlift over 315. Is there any programming you'd recommend for a "Pull" day that would increase my deadlift without actually doing deadlift? Thus far I was thinking heavy BB rows, heavy 1 arm rows, and adding in power shrugs.

Good question.

If you can do low rack pulls in a rack do them. You can also do low and high rack pulls with power shrugs as a combo move.

Beyond this, here are other sound choices:

1) Dimel deadlifts
2) Romanian deadlifts
3) Good mornings (powerlifitng style, not bodybuilding style)
4) Zercher squats

You could do 2 of these one week, 2 the next, like:

Week 1
Zerchers
Dimels

Week 2
Good mornings
RDLs

I would back this with heavy rows and shrugs.

You can also add power cleans or heavy high pulls from the floor. Another good choice is the Reeve's deadlift.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #1075
Hywelbane
Hywelbane
Brb lifting
Max Brawn

Hywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machineHywelbane is a lifting machine

Thanks btb, will try the low/high rack pulls and heavy shrug combo, and do my best not to "damage" their equipment. If that fails I will cycle in the 4 lifts you mentioned. Thanks again!

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #1076
EasyTwoSix
EasyTwoSix
Grunt
Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 6 serious
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Weighted Dip
Fav Supp: Eggs
My Mood: Cool
EasyTwoSix is new to the forumEasyTwoSix is new to the forumEasyTwoSix is new to the forum

BHUD,

Quick question for you. I would consider myself an intermediate lifter, but I am on the small side, even after putting on about 25 lbs of muscle over my natural weight in the last few years (5'8" 165lbs currently). I can only bench 260 lbs, squat 350 lbs, and deadlift 375 lbs. This is miles ahead of where I started from, though. I am currently still making small, incremental gains, so I'm not looking to change my program up or get some guru secret. I think my training approach has been in line with what you preach here and on your YouTube channel (i.e. sticking with the basics, progressive overload, and eating).

It is frustrating, however, to put so much blood, sweat, and tears into my workouts over a period of time to still be weaker than most other guys are after they've been lifting just a few months. I'm not trying to let myself off the hook or give myself an excuse to not push hard, but my question is: what is a realistic level of strength to achieve for a small guy like myself? I've seen different charts, but they vary widely. I'm curious to see what your take on it is.
EasyTwoSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #1077
eXeL0L
eXeL0L
has no status.
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

eXeL0L is new to the forumeXeL0L is new to the forumeXeL0L is new to the forum

Thanks for help i tryed to fix my form and these are new vids? would like to hear opinion if i should edit some more stuff Thanks

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-14-2013 at 10:43 AM.
eXeL0L is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #1078
SCStrong
SCStrong
loves the smell of napalm in the morning!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,960, Level: 40 Points: 3,960, Level: 40 Points: 3,960, Level: 40
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
My Mood: Aggressive
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hywelbane View Post

Sorry to chime in BtB but I gotta ask - do you have another gym available? No deadlifts sound like a good reason to relocate if you can.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #1079
Hywelbane
Hywelbane
Brb lifting
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
Sorry to chime in BtB but I gotta ask - do you have another gym available? No deadlifts sound like a good reason to relocate if you can.
This is the rec center included in my college tuition, so it's already paid for every semester. The other gyms around are even less friendly towards heavy lifting..

Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #1080
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyTwoSix View Post
I can only bench 260 lbs, squat 350 lbs, and deadlift 375 lbs.
No "only" required for those lifts. They are very good for your weight.

Quote:
This is miles ahead of where I started from, though. I am currently still making small, incremental gains, so I'm not looking to change my program up or get some guru secret.
Small steps for you will be the norm from here on out. I am glad you aren't trying to change everything.

Quote:

It is frustrating, however, to put so much blood, sweat, and tears into my workouts over a period of time to still be weaker than most other guys are after they've been lifting just a few months. I'm not trying to let myself off the hook or give myself an excuse to not push hard, but my question is: what is a realistic level of strength to achieve for a small guy like myself? I've seen different charts, but they vary widely. I'm curious to see what your take on it is.
You are not weak. Most guys don't come close to your numbers after 2 years. I am not sure why you are thinking this, but it's far from true. We have powerlifters here 20-30 pounds heavier then you who aren't close to your bench press. 99% of the 165 pound lifters I know haven't come close to a 350 pound squat.

Here is my strength chart, based on current records natural records:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...atural-lifters

You are close to the "extremely strong level" which is one step below Elite. Very few 165 pound lifters hit Elite. I know of only 1-2.

Bottom line, you are a lot stronger than you think. You need to stick around this forum. We have guys that know how strong you are and will tell you.

Share with Facebook