The BIG system by Jonathan Byrd. Rapidly increase your strength. Price: $19.99

Old 11-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #61
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 21,132, Level: 91 Points: 21,132, Level: 91 Points: 21,132, Level: 91
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Im using closegrip benchpress as my main assistance for presses but will give boards a try for myself. Thanks buddy!
use a close grip and really over load it! maybe even a 4 board with your long arms

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #62
TDawg75
TDawg75
All Pro Fatback
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
My Mood: Mellow
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Hey, J Byrd. I followed a link posted by Steve to your 15 week powerifting peaking routine. I have my first competition in March and will start using your program 15 weeks out. My question involves assistance work. I currently do shoulders on a day by themselves. (I lift 4 days a week) Most of the exercises are more for building some shoulder muscle and aren't necessary for strength. However, I work heavy shoulder presses with a BB and DB's to help with my bench press, and I do shrugs to help with my DL. Should I keep this entire shoulder day with the extra exercises like db upright rows and lateral raises or should I just cut down to the core assistance exercises, OR should I just cut out the extra day for shoulders and add the presses to bench day and add the shrugs to DL day? ( I apologize for the bad grammar with all of the and's and or's. Not enough time to clean it up right now, lol) I would appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks for your time!

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #63
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,802, Level: 100 Points: 36,802, Level: 100 Points: 36,802, Level: 100
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Hey JB. Is it true you are only training with Brian Carroll to make your giant head look smaller?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #64
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn

J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg75 View Post
Hey, J Byrd. I followed a link posted by Steve to your 15 week powerifting peaking routine. I have my first competition in March and will start using your program 15 weeks out. My question involves assistance work. I currently do shoulders on a day by themselves. (I lift 4 days a week) Most of the exercises are more for building some shoulder muscle and aren't necessary for strength. However, I work heavy shoulder presses with a BB and DB's to help with my bench press, and I do shrugs to help with my DL. Should I keep this entire shoulder day with the extra exercises like db upright rows and lateral raises or should I just cut down to the core assistance exercises, OR should I just cut out the extra day for shoulders and add the presses to bench day and add the shrugs to DL day? ( I apologize for the bad grammar with all of the and's and or's. Not enough time to clean it up right now, lol) I would appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks for your time!
You have a few options. I would keep in the 4th day and do my shoulder movements, also train some biceps and tris. I would move the shrugs to an accessory on dead lift day. You would also probably need to do away with the 4th day during the final block of training. That is the time to just hit the core work and peak for the meet. Hopefully that answered some of your questions.

Proudly sponsored by

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #65
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Hey JB. Is it true you are only training with Brian Carroll to make your giant head look smaller?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It sure doesn't hurt

Proudly sponsored by

Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #66
TDawg75
TDawg75
All Pro Fatback
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn

TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
You have a few options. I would keep in the 4th day and do my shoulder movements, also train some biceps and tris. I would move the shrugs to an accessory on dead lift day. You would also probably need to do away with the 4th day during the final block of training. That is the time to just hit the core work and peak for the meet. Hopefully that answered some of your questions.
It did, JB. Thanks!

Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #67
audix2359
audix2359
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 140, Level: 2 Points: 140, Level: 2 Points: 140, Level: 2

Beer Golf Champion!
Training Exp: Feb. 2010
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Dips and Rows
Fav Supp: Salted Caramel Ice Cream
audix2359 has made some quality postsaudix2359 has made some quality postsaudix2359 has made some quality postsaudix2359 has made some quality postsaudix2359 has made some quality postsaudix2359 has made some quality posts

First post and a quick question about your BIG system. I can no longer do overhead pressing; I've had too many injuries over the last 2-3 years doing that and those have kept me out for quite a while. What type of substitution would you recommend for that lift? I was thinking either incline presses or dips.

Thanks
audix2359 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #68
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by audix2359 View Post
First post and a quick question about your BIG system. I can no longer do overhead pressing; I've had too many injuries over the last 2-3 years doing that and those have kept me out for quite a while. What type of substitution would you recommend for that lift? I was thinking either incline presses or dips.

Thanks
Is it just the over head part that ist he issue? Or is it a whole rotator thing?

Nothing wrong with adding in some inclines and dips if that does not bother the shoulder

Proudly sponsored by

Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #69
audix2359
audix2359
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 140, Level: 2 Points: 140, Level: 2 Points: 140, Level: 2

Beer Golf Champion!
Training Exp: Feb. 2010
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Dips and Rows
Fav Supp: Salted Caramel Ice Cream
audix2359 has made some quality postsaudix2359 has made some quality postsaudix2359 has made some quality postsaudix2359 has made some quality postsaudix2359 has made some quality postsaudix2359 has made some quality posts

It has been the overhead part. I've been fine with light incline presses - I'm pretty sure I'd be okay going heavy on those. Thanks, I'm really liking the looks of the program!
audix2359 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #70
TDawg75
TDawg75
All Pro Fatback
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn

Hey, JB! I am using your 15 week peak routine to prepare for my first meet in March. I am in week 3, and I am really liking it so far. I am feeling stronger in my squat and deadlift already. It seems like my bench may be getting a little weaker, though. (one of my work sets is 315, and it has gotten more difficult each week) I don't know if it is the decrease in volume or (more likely) my choice of assistance exercises.

Before starting your plan I was doing my own version of a 5x5. For chest day I would do 5x5 on flat bench press and incline presses followed by 3-5 sets of 8-12 on a machine press. then I would do some triceps exercises (cgbp, etc). on your plan I have been doing bench press with my assistance exercises being incline presses (3x8) and cgbp (3x8). The first week I used some rack presses, but didn't feel like they did much good.

On Monday of this week I switched it around. I used flat bench press followed by paused bench press (3x8) and incline presses (3x8), and moved the cgbp's to my shoulder/arm day. I think this may work better than my previous choices.

Long story short, What is your input on this? Do you think it was my exercise choices? Should I leave it like it is now or do you see some other problem that I may be overlooking? I appreciate any input you may have. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Share with Facebook