Low man on the totem pole
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Amateur Surgeon Champion!
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: A heavy one.
My Mood: Inspired
PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

Is it true that you, In Tijuana, once ate 3 full sized Mexicans, while wearing a lucha libre mask, tassled neon green leather jacket, and rhinestone boots, then deadlifted a news paper delivery truck in the process? All while shouting " It puts the lotion on it's skin!!!"???
PhillyDev is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,775, Level: 90 Points: 20,775, Level: 90 Points: 20,775, Level: 90
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Best Ab movements. What is most effective and here do you put it?
Also, need some cardio/explosive movement work (Sprints, hills, sled, etc.), where does that go?
As far as abs go, I think planks, weighted set ups, weighted side bends, and leg lifts off the bench are great for getting the core strong!

I would try to place any cardio type work done 2 days before any leg movement day. You could also do any sled pull type stuff following squat or back day. A lot has to do with your recovery and what phase of the program. Could even be done as an auxiliary movement. Forward and backwards walking with it. Lots of ideas and adaptability.

If it was me, and just looking to stay in shape I would do hill sprints. Nothing like sprinting on an incline!!!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn

J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I am just a guy who's goal is to be to be big and strong. I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. Is your program suited toward my goal?

Also, I am currently on a diet geared toward losing fat. I do not always eat this way, I usually eat to gain. Can I do your program while on my fat loss diet or should I wait until I am once again eating to gain?
There is no need to be a powerlifter to run this program. The end result is to be stronger overall, not just the powerlifts. I have trained countless athletes using this same method, including a young man a few years ago who currently just missed the latest Olympic trails. His offseason training still looks very similar.

As far as a fat loss diet goes, it should not affect your training. While I cant say you will not gain "weight" It should be muscle if you are following a solid diet.

Proudly sponsored by

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDev View Post
Is it true that you, In Tijuana, once ate 3 full sized Mexicans, while wearing a lucha libre mask, tassled neon green leather jacket, and rhinestone boots, then deadlifted a news paper delivery truck in the process? All while shouting " It puts the lotion on it's skin!!!"???
Did Pablo tell this story again? The tassles were pink, it was 2.5 mexicans(one was a midget), and I also stole the donkey from the donkey show. Of course after he finished!

Proudly sponsored by

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
PhillyDev
PhillyDev
's legs hurt. Stupid DL suit...
Low man on the totem pole
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Amateur Surgeon Champion!
Fav Exercise: A heavy one.
PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
Did Pablo tell this story again? The tassles were pink, it was 2.5 mexicans(one was a midget), and I also stole the donkey from the donkey show. Of course after he finished!
Not Pablo. The no legged Siberian dude who swears he walked the great wall of china on his hands. No breaks. Pee'd in his mouth when he got thirsty too.
PhillyDev is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
jemag
jemag
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
jemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good posts

Hey JB,

I have a question about deadlifting. So far I am doing a upper/lower split and on the lower days one day I am doing SLDL and the other day I am doing conventional deadlift. Even though my strength in deadlift keeps going up, every time I am doing some variation of deadlift, my lower back gets stiff pretty quickly. So I can pretty much only do 2 (max 3) working sets of deadlift before it gets really too stiff (seems to be a bit worst on conventional deadlift). The stiffness usually disappears after sitting a couple min on a incline bench or something like that.

So I am wondering, is this normal?

Also as a last quick question, is it normal if my SLDL is significantly stronger than my conventional? (235x5 for conventional, 265x5 SLDL would be my last numbers)

(PS: I hope I'm asking my question at the right place for the BIG e-book win hehe)

Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
vuleje
vuleje
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 903, Level: 16 Points: 903, Level: 16 Points: 903, Level: 16

vuleje is off to a bad start

Conventionals vs Sumo deads for raw lifter?
vuleje is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,667, Level: 100 Points: 33,667, Level: 100 Points: 33,667, Level: 100
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Hey JB! What do you think is the best squat stance for tall lifters with long femurs?

Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #19
RGRthat
RGRthat
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16

Training Exp: none
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Muscle Marinade
RGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributor

JB
How would you change your basic system for someone who is wanting to try strongman events?
So far I work squat bench and deadlift twice a week and have atleast one, sometimes two days for presses, carries, cleans, and arms.

Also when you are that big how do you tie your shoes?
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Drunk RGR Training http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-training.html
RGRthat is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #20
Dray
Dray
is healing up :/
Max Brawn
Points: 9,859, Level: 66 Points: 9,859, Level: 66 Points: 9,859, Level: 66
Activity: 76% Activity: 76% Activity: 76%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Hey JB,

Would you say training the standing barbell overhead press (strict, not push) is helpful for a raw powerlifter, in any way? I've heard conflicting opinions...

Note: I obviously have no idea if your program features this lift.

My training log
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook