Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Gengaeldelse
Gengaeldelse
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,254, Level: 19 Points: 1,254, Level: 19 Points: 1,254, Level: 19
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Fav Exercise: Dead lift
Fav Supp: Gravity
My Mood: Tired
Gengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good posts
Default Power Lifting and Bodybuilding, are they mutually exclusive?

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I have found that a lot of the fitness communities seem to fall into 2 camps, the Power lifters and the Bodybuilders. I understand that they have 2 very different goals, but why not both? Is it possible for someone to be as strong as a power lifter but have the aesthetics of a body builder? Or are the diets involved so vastly different that both goals can not be met?
Gengaeldelse is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Yes.

They are the same for the base building years anyway.

I know a lot of bodybuilders who are near elite level in powerlifting. Most just don't know it.

They are the same process the first several years. After that point roads can diverge based on specific goals and road blocks.

Also keep in mind that most bodybuilders are in off-season condition. How you see them in pictures isn't how they look during the off-season.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Check out this thread:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/mus...tml#post327711

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Just about to say check out my thread, btb explains it all in there.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

More meat to chew on,

The Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban: Combining Weightlifting With Bodybuilding - Red Lerille

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

Tommy Kono,

Olympic weightlifting champion, and Mr. Universe.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/app...on-thread.html

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
6 Great video.

I've been able to film many bodybuilders like Doug Miller. They are all insanely strong.

If you like eating, get fat and strong. You can always cut and look like a bodybuilder if you want to.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
hercules455
hercules455
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 451, Level: 9 Points: 451, Level: 9 Points: 451, Level: 9
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 14
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: DEADLIFT!
Fav Supp: AAEFX KOTIC
My Mood: Amazed
hercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributor

Doug Miller is a beast. I think he recently did 475lbs x 10 for 10 sets. There was an article in Flex recently about "PowerBuilding"which is combining bodybuilding and powerlifting training. Johnnie Jackson does this I believe.

I was always a heavy lifter myself. For years I could only call myself a weightlifter but then I decided to compete as a bodybuilder. I'm thinking I may compete in powerlifting now too since I really enjoy lifting heavy.

The diets vary more when you are cutting for a bodybuilding show. Getting to extremely low bf level requires a different approach.
hercules455 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook