Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
stayaggro
stayaggro
PULLS OVER EVERYTHING
Brawn
Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: Since Oct '11
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: BTN Push Press
Fav Supp: Black Coffee
stayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good posts
Default Vanadyl?

I bought a bottle of Dymatize Vanadyl Complex at a discount store for $2 ... I had never heard of it, but thought for two bucks I couldn't go wrong. Researched it a bit. It's supposed to increase insulin sensitivity before your Post Workout (or any other) meal. A couple questions: Anybody tried it and can vouch for it being legit? Also, say I'm doing CarbNite, and in a week or so, I'm doing my first carb-up. Would it be advised to take a couple of these before my post workout carb-fest?

Thanks, as this is all new to me, I just couldn't pass up something potentially awesome for a couple bucks.
-Tyler
stayaggro is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
IronWill
IronWill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
My Mood: Relaxed
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

Boy! That's from way back when. Haven't heard that stuff mentioned in years!
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
stayaggro
stayaggro
PULLS OVER EVERYTHING
Brawn

stayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWill View Post
Boy! That's from way back when. Haven't heard that stuff mentioned in years!
Yeah, been reading a bit more into it since I posted this ... apparently it's pretty harmful when used for a prolonged period. I dunno, I'll keep it handy and keep up the research.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I remember it being all the rage years back. I have not tried it myself. I did find this:

Effects of vanadyl sulfate on carbohydrate and li... [Metabolism. 1996] - PubMed - NCBI

Quote:
The safety and efficacy of vanadyl sulfate (VS) was tested in a single-blind, placebo-controlled study. Eight patients (four men and four women) with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) received VS (50 mg twice daily orally) for 4 weeks. Six of these patients (four men and two women) continued in the study and were given a placebo for an additional 4 weeks. Euglycemic-hyperinsulinemic clamps were performed before and after the VS and placebo phases. VS was associated with gastrointestinal side effects in six of eight patients during the first week, but was well tolerated after that. VS administration was associated with a 20% decrease in fasting glucose concentration (from 9.3 +/- 1.8 to 7.4 +/- 1.4 mmol/L, P < .05) and a decrease in hepatic glucose output (HGO) during hyperinsulinemia (from 5.0 +/- 1.0 pre-VS to 3.1 +/- 0.9 micromol/kg x min post-VS, P < .02). The improvement in fasting plasma glucose and HGO that occurred during VS treatment was maintained during the placebo phase. VS had no significant effects on rates of total-body glucose uptake, glycogen synthesis, glycolysis, carbohydrate (CHO) oxidation, or lipolysis during euglycemic-hyperinsulinemic clamps. We conclude that VS at the dose used was well tolerated and resulted in modest reductions of fasting plasma glucose and hepatic insulin resistance. However, the safety of larger doses and use of vanadium salts for longer periods remains uncertain.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
stayaggro
stayaggro
PULLS OVER EVERYTHING
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I remember it being all the rage years back. I have not tried it myself. I did find this:
Thanks! Yeah, I dunno if I even wanna mess around with it for a minor decrease in insulin resistance, but still might, cause I'm a wild card, and what the hell, I own some now. I assume, however, my insulin sensitivity would be through the roof after 10-14 days of no/extremely low carb intake.

Share with Facebook