Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
WilldBill88
WilldBill88
is Hungry!
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,465, Level: 47 Points: 5,465, Level: 47 Points: 5,465, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Yeehaw
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast
Default Leg Press Question...

Hey guys, I been doing Leg Presses for assistant work after my squat because, Jim Wendler says its good for conventional deadlifters and raw squatters.

I was wondering if this has truth or just a theory from Wendler? I guess the reason why I was curious is because I saw a video on youtube with Mark Bell answering a question about leg presses. I was hoping he would mention something along the lines about leg presses being good for raw squatters and conventional deadlifters but, he just said its a personal preference and mentioned some powerlifters and bodybuilders who use the exercises to help build their legs... So I wanted to know what the MAB Community thinks.

Thoughts?
WilldBill88 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Good leg assistance in my opinion.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
1morerep
1morerep
is in a mission
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

Everybody is diffrent. I do goodmornings, lunges, romanians and that works fine for me Not too much in the leg press but only you can determine if they work or not.
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,510, Level: 78 Points: 14,510, Level: 78 Points: 14,510, Level: 78
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I love higher rep leg presses as a finisher/quad size builder, but nothing under 10-12 reps.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Lurking
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Should be fine as assistance work....

I don't have access to a leg press so my next choice would be.... trap bar dead lifts?

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #6
Davis
Davis
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

I think I got a little help from it when I did use it, but I stopped using it because every time I used it, it felt like my skin was going to rip off(It was a very strong, burning sensation) of the same place on my left thigh. That, and I have temporarily hurt my back using the leg press a couple of times.

That said, it did help a little. I don't know what happened with me.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
Paradox
Paradox
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,386, Level: 42 Points: 4,386, Level: 42 Points: 4,386, Level: 42
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

The quads are very, very involved in raw squatting and deadlifting (especially squatting). There's this notion lately that the only thing involved in a squat is your posterior chain. While everyone does tend to neglect their posterior chain (until they learn better), over training it and ignoring your quads is a poor decision for raw lifting. If you want to train your quads with leg press, and they respond well in terms of hypertrophy and strength, then all the power to you.

I prefer to have my squat accessory be squats and front squats lol.
Paradox is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
The quads are very, very involved in raw squatting and deadlifting (especially squatting). There's this notion lately that the only thing involved in a squat is your posterior chain.
Indeed.

And again this is a relatively new concept, you're looking at the last 10-15 years, prior to that a lot of the big guys would do Leg Presses quite regularly. If you look at old Deepsquatter articles you'll see a lot of references to them.

They're also very handy for doing uni-lateral work, takes the balance aspect out of the equation. Uni-lateral work in itself is quite useful.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,510, Level: 78 Points: 14,510, Level: 78 Points: 14,510, Level: 78
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Another reason they are good for assistance is that after a good, heavy squat session you may have stability issues that keep you from getting much from more squats. Leg presses are still a far more natural movement than leg extensions and other leg assistance options, and if you like doing burn out sets, like I do, you can take yourself right to the limit because of the inherent stability of the leg press. It doesn't get better than a few sets of 30-50 reps to finish off a leg/squat session.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Paradox
Paradox
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,386, Level: 42 Points: 4,386, Level: 42 Points: 4,386, Level: 42
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Indeed.

And again this is a relatively new concept, you're looking at the last 10-15 years, prior to that a lot of the big guys would do Leg Presses quite regularly. If you look at old Deepsquatter articles you'll see a lot of references to them.

They're also very handy for doing uni-lateral work, takes the balance aspect out of the equation. Uni-lateral work in itself is quite useful.
I'm a huge fan of block periodization, and I'll definitely be applying some more unilateral work next time I'm in an accumulation block. Coupled with the fact that I want to add some more "body building" work into my next acc. block, I think leg presses will do just great. Thanks for the thought.
Paradox is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook