Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #21
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

29 pages of fun:

Why I, bodybuilder wont be as important as you think. - BodyRecomposition Support Forums

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #22
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Faz is on there!

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #23
Paradox
Paradox
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,992, Level: 40 Points: 3,992, Level: 40 Points: 3,992, Level: 40
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Dope, thanks. I can't wait to read this.
Paradox is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #24
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thibs:

Quote:
Let me tell you this: if you do not master the art of the perfect curl, do not grasp how to get into that activated state and don't know how to autoregulate, then your new workout will simply be just another internet program... no better or worse than the tens of thousand already available, and that would truly sadden me.

Let's start with the PERFECT curl. The perfect curl is a set in itself, an athletic event. Every single curl should be performed so that you juice everything you can get growth-wise out of it, regardless of the actual weight you are lifting.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know how stupid it sounds... we all know how to do that, right? We all control, but don't go slow on purpose on the eccentric and try to be explosive on the concentric, right? Let me tell you this, most of you who think that they are doing it, aren't.

It took all of 4 days to really get, and were able to perform consistently perfect curls. And once they got it, despite doing minimal actual training they all felt super sore but motivated to train.

It honestly shocked me how far away most guys were from that perfect curl, despite thinking themselves that they were doing it. And I consider these guys advanced and very knowledgeable about training. So I can only imagine how the average gym rat is!

And the thing is that it all starts with that perfect curl. If you can't do perfect curls every single time, then your new workout will not work like it should. If you can't do those perfect curls, there is no logic in you using advanced methods.

The KEY to producing growth, to getting that perfect curl, is finding a way to maximize the amount of force produced at the turnaround point (when you switch from the eccentric to the concentric). The FIRST 4 inches in the range of motion are totally the key! The turnaround should not only be rapid, it must be snappy. The faster and more powerful the turnaround is, the more force the muscle will produce and the more muscle damage you will inflict.

A lot of people 'get' the need to try to accelerate during that concentric phase. But most of them are still slow at that turnaround point. The gradually build up speed during the whole curl, good, but not perfect if you are not able to produce optimal force in the stretch position.

Every single method we have is based on putting a maximum stress on the muscle in that stretch position. Our regular curls are all bout that powerful turnaround... if you don't get it, you will not benefit from any of the things we are doing.

Twitch curls are actually a learning tool: they are used to work on that snappy turnaround skill. We just happen to found out that they were also very good at activating the nervous system.

curls from a deadstart and blast isos put a lot of stress on the stretch position for another reason: they take out the reflex action out of the stretch position, so the muscles themselves have to contract extra hard to produce the necessary force to lift the weight. The blast isos also have the advantage of putting you in that aggressive/attacking mode which favors that explosive curl.

Even the way I NOW recommend doing negatives/eccentric training is based on putting stress on that stretch position (more on that one in the future).

Master the perfect curl... learn to be a 'turnaround genius' and you will be able to stimulate growth with every single curletition, not only that last grueling curl of a set. If you don't learn that perfect curl... than none of what we will put on the net during this project will wok any better than the average program.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #25
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,915, Level: 69 Points: 10,915, Level: 69 Points: 10,915, Level: 69
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I've been sitting back, lurking in this thread and enjoying it. It is common place for t-nation to spout some pretty ridiculous bullshit. You guys pretty much covered that aspect well in this thread.
Having said this, I couldn't help but think, everywhere on the internet can contain bullshit. It's up to the person reading it to engage the brain and filter through what should be used and what is garbage. You really can't take any info from anywhere at face value without running it through the filter. And T-nation is no different.
Yeah, clearly they have there fair share of BS marketing hype at even bigger bs training claims, but they also have guys like Jim Wendler. Wendler is a great resource and a straight shooter. You can count on him to keep the BS to the minimum and share useful and factual information.

And then I saw this:

Jim Wendler from T-nation.com
Quote:
I've always been a little skeptical of supplements. However, I can honestly say that Biotest and its CEO Tim Patterson have never asked me to endorse or talk about any product that I didn't believe in.

This is one of the reasons why I'm impressed with Biotest and Tim Patterson: they simply ask me to provide them with good quality (I hope they're quality) training articles. That's it. You may not believe this but I'm okay with it, as I know I'm telling the truth.

Because of my association with Biotest I can try any supplement I want, so recently I decided to try a few. The following supplements are great: ZMA®, Z-12™, Brain Candy™, Power Drive®, and Flameout™.

But without a doubt, the best supplement I have ever taken is Mag-10®. No question.

I've played around with Mag-10® using the following protocols:

2-4 servings before training, 2-4 servings after training
4 servings during the day (along with some small meals), train, then eat 2 huge dinners
2 servings, 30 minutes before any meal (usually 4 meals/day)
In my experience, the one that seemed to work the best is the first. I'm someone who hates to eat food and has zero appetite, which could be why Mag-10® works so well for me
I generally try to eat 4 meals/day, each consisting of some kind of protein (usually eggs, steak, or dark chicken), some kind of vegetable, and some kind of carbohydrate.

The Mag-10® prior and post training pretty much allows me to eat however I want, and as little (or as much) as I want. My workout recovery is much better, I can train at a higher level longer, I'm leaner, and most important, I don't feel the protein-shake bloat all day. Mag-10® also tastes great, is easy to prepare, and doesn't take 30 minutes to drink.

Is Mag-10® expensive? Yes. Does it work? Yes. Is Mag-10® worth the money? Honestly yes, which is why I now purchase it just like everyone else.

I'm not afraid to divulge this – hopefully Tim doesn't mind – but because my arrangement recently changed with Biotest, I now pay for supplements out of my own pocket. And I will be re-upping my Mag-10® supply this week.

Biotest continues to show support of my work and my writings and I feel it only necessary to give credit where it's due. This shit works
T NATION | 2012 in Review

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 AM   #26
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Faz is on there!
Just to clarify, that is NOT me!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #27
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I was trying to find out, and I was disappoint.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #28
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post

Ah, sorry.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 AM   #29
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

OH MY GOD!

Quote:
Let me tell you this: if you do not master the art of the perfect curl, do not grasp how to get into that activated state and don't know how to autoregulate, then your new workout will simply be just another internet program... no better or worse than the tens of thousand already available, and that would truly sadden me.

Let's start with the PERFECT curl. The perfect curl is a set in itself, an athletic event. Every single curl should be performed so that you juice everything you can get growth-wise out of it, regardless of the actual weight you are lifting.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know how stupid it sounds... we all know how to do that, right? We all control, but don't go slow on purpose on the eccentric and try to be explosive on the concentric, right? Let me tell you this, most of you who think that they are doing it, aren't.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #30
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

yeah baby it is all about the curls bro,curls and plasma TM will make you swole bro it is true.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook