Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #21
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

There is a very long answer to those questions Soldier, which I'm not sure I have time to answer or how useful it would be to this discussion.

The shortened version is that no, my strength did not decrease and in the long-term went saw a significant increase.

I'm speaking from experience.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 05:22 AM   #22
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,543, Level: 100 Points: 36,543, Level: 100 Points: 36,543, Level: 100
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I ran a condensed version of this for the past two months. I have lifted bench, squat and dead (or variations thereof) and doing 6 sets of 3 with 1 minute between sets. Using bench as an example I couldn't get more than 3 sets of 3 @ 122.5kgs and failed the 3rd rep on set 4. The next week I benched 145kgs for a relatively easy single. High bar back squats I failed to get the volume in at 145kgs, again on the fourth set but got 180kgs for a hard but max single. By dropping the rest periods you get to strain without heavy weight and you will get stronger as well as improving your work capacity.
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #23
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,079, Level: 77 Points: 14,079, Level: 77 Points: 14,079, Level: 77
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Awesome. I'm very interested in submaximal training with an emphasis on volume, especially now that I mostly train at home. That gives me a chance to experiment with both volume and frequency much more than in the past.

I'm currently training with an upper/lower split, training almost every day and simply alternating upper body and lower body. It's a fun way of doing things, because I can emphasize different muscles and lifts on different days. One upper body day will be focussed on bench, but still include shoulder and back work, while another upper body day will be focussed on pullups. It's allowed me to keep my frequency high without burning out or getting bored, but it's really hard on recovery, and I almost always train while already sore.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,357, Level: 67 Points: 10,357, Level: 67 Points: 10,357, Level: 67
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Training Exp: 3.5
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Awesome. I'm very interested in submaximal training with an emphasis on volume, especially now that I mostly train at home. That gives me a chance to experiment with both volume and frequency much more than in the past.

I'm currently training with an upper/lower split, training almost every day and simply alternating upper body and lower body. It's a fun way of doing things, because I can emphasize different muscles and lifts on different days. One upper body day will be focussed on bench, but still include shoulder and back work, while another upper body day will be focussed on pullups. It's allowed me to keep my frequency high without burning out or getting bored, but it's really hard on recovery, and I almost always train while already sore.
Have you looked into neural charge or neural recharge method? Basically its what you're after but recovery is really good.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #25
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,079, Level: 77 Points: 14,079, Level: 77 Points: 14,079, Level: 77
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
Have you looked into neural charge or neural recharge method? Basically its what you're after but recovery is really good.
I'll check it out. Always down for learning new things.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #26
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,132, Level: 69 Points: 11,132, Level: 69 Points: 11,132, Level: 69
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I'm confused. I have seen it proclaimed all along that if one was wanting to cut, they wouldn't need to change there routine, only there diet. And that heavy low reps actually prevent muscle loss.
I know this is a simplified statement that I made(sorry), in light of such a cerberal discussion, but is this not true?

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #27
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I'm confused. I have seen it proclaimed all along that if one was wanting to cut, they wouldn't need to change there routine, only there diet. And that heavy low reps actually prevent muscle loss.
I know this is a simplified statement that I made(sorry), in light of such a cerberal discussion, but is this not true?
Yes that's a good general rule for muscle builders. My program has one exercise and generally one set/rep per day.

I haven't been building muscle the last 4 years. I've been powerlifting with no assistance work. I don't want to attempt a cut doing only two working reps per week on squats, etc. because I do not believe that is the best way to maintain muscle tissue. Understand that I have been losing arm size from lack of arm work, and probably some size on other muscle groups as well from lack of focus. My arms dipped from 19.25" to 18.5" during the last 18-24 months on my simplified strength program.

Quite frankly I simply haven't cared about maintaining size the last 4 years. Now, during my cut, I want to.

The style of training I do is rather extreme. I wasn't worried about maintaining muscle mass on the smaller muscle groups in the least.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-18-2013 at 12:50 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
Hunterace
Hunterace
is mental!!!
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 17,262, Level: 83 Points: 17,262, Level: 83 Points: 17,262, Level: 83
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Yes that's a good general rule for muscle builders.

I haven't been building muscle the last 4 years. I've been powerlifting with no assistance work. I don't want to attempt a cut doing only two working reps per week on squats, etc. I have been losing arm size from lack of arm work, and probably some size on other muscle groups as well from lack of focus.
You did lots of assistance work at my house! DB presses, dips, leg press, suitcase bends or pulls(can't remember what you called them) know there were others yep I'm a jerk!

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...734#post494734
Hunterace is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #29
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

^ I edited my post.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #30
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,132, Level: 69 Points: 11,132, Level: 69 Points: 11,132, Level: 69
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Yes that's a good general rule for muscle builders. My program has one exercise and generally one set/rep per day.

I haven't been building muscle the last 4 years. I've been powerlifting with no assistance work. I don't want to attempt a cut doing only two working reps per week on squats, etc. because I do not believe that is the best way to maintain muscle tissue. Understand that I have been losing arm size from lack of arm work, and probably some size on other muscle groups as well from lack of focus. My arms dipped from 19.25" to 18.5" during the last 18-24 months on my simplified strength program.

Quite frankly I simply haven't cared about maintaining size the last 4 years. Now, during my cut, I want to.

The style of training I do is rather extreme. It's not worried about maintaining muscle mass on the smaller muscle groups in the least.
What I am getting from this:
You have been doing a specialized strength program, with low working volume. And a program this specialized toward strength and increasin 1rm is not conducive to your goals while cutting.
This makes sense to me. Thank you for addressing my question.

Myself not being an advanced/elite lifter and not understanding what it is to do or need such a specialized program, I couldn't understand why the change was necessary.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook