Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,803, Level: 71 Points: 11,803, Level: 71 Points: 11,803, Level: 71
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
So the EliteFTS logo is the guidline on which you squat?
Not trying to be disrespectful, but that seems a bit silly to me.
Haha, no disrespect taken, of course. Actually, I was taught that hold by the only powerlifter in the gym where I used to train, and it works very well for me. Also, most of the westside guys use super wide hands too. I'm pretty sure the elitefts logo is supposed to be Dave Tate, who trained at westside. It's just a coincidence that the logo matches what I do.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1325
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
has alien fiberz
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 11,573, Level: 70 Points: 11,573, Level: 70 Points: 11,573, Level: 70
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion! Cat Batting Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Yeehaw
jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

Low-bar was initially challenging for me too due to shoulders/tight pecs. They tightened up whenever I took a break from squats but flexibility will come back after a while. I agree that a light warm-up (some push ups, etc) is good to avoid pulling something in your shoulder when your focus is on the lower body during a squat. Keep in mind you only have to get close enough for a solid base...if the weight is secure on your back, no need to force another inch or two out of your grip width...

"Trust the process."
"Just get stronger, you bunch of knuckleheads."
- Steve Shaw, MaB Founder
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

I do the first two exercises shown here but using a broomhandle, they work wonders:

Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
has alien fiberz
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 11,573, Level: 70 Points: 11,573, Level: 70 Points: 11,573, Level: 70
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion! Cat Batting Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Yeehaw
jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I do the first two exercises shown here but using a broomhandle, they work wonders:

JAVELIN Throw Warming up with the Implement .m4v - YouTube

Good stuff.

Shoulder dislocations are always great... for the other, you could also grab a plate and do orbits around the head...doesn't have to be a 45#

"Trust the process."
"Just get stronger, you bunch of knuckleheads."
- Steve Shaw, MaB Founder
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #15
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn
Points: 5,033, Level: 45 Points: 5,033, Level: 45 Points: 5,033, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Thanks everyone... How often should one do the Shoulder dislocations? EOD, ED, 2-3 times a Day.. ????

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
Disciple X
Disciple X
SMASH WEIGHT!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Beach Sudoku Champion!
My Mood: Inspired
Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

The super wide grip is used by a lot of people who have terrible shoulder mobility. And usually they have a large "shelf" for the bar to rest. They grab at the collars because thats as far in as they can. (Also because of using multiply gear with tight straps) Not everybody, some people grab wide just becaise they see the big guys doing it or its more comfortable. The general consesnus is to grab as close as you comfortably can. generally the closer in you bring your hands the tighter the upper back will be.

I have thight shoulders and do band shoulder "dislocations" or whatever you want to call them. I also free style with the band working it in all kinds of directions to get blood pumping and stuff loosened up. I also do pull aparts.

Last edited by Disciple X; 01-02-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #17
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I do shoulder work like dislocations, pullaparts, wood bar stretches, interior and exterior rotations, etc. EVERY time I bench or press. I also stretch those areas afterwards.

On squat days, I just limber up with some arm swings, but mostly work on hip and leg mobility.

That said, I have done high bar squats almost exclusively, but recently have gone to low bar for a variety of reasons.

It jacked up my shoulders and wrists at first, but there is a caveat there.

High bar, I pulled my hands in max tight and felt great for a while, but I also noticed I tended to hunch over and sorta pull the bar into my neck at maximum. Not a good thing. Hands in did keep my upper back tight, but it also caused a hunch.

After I jacked my wrists benching which inflicted my high bar position, I tried low bar and realized it is much easier to squat heavy with that position. Really, the inch or so is a huge difference. However it jacked my shoulders.

What I realized is that high bar, you sort of hunch your traps and have to force your elbows down and forward to get that upright stance. OK. Well and good, but dropping down, you can lose tightness and your hands force the bar into your neck and you hunch and are effed.

Putting your hands out wide with a low bar position and all of a sudden your chest opens and the bar is sort of behind you rather than on you pushing you down and you feel monster strong. It's easier to stay tight and get the job done.

But I did notice that I didn't have as good control of the bar. Hands in tight I was locked in and the bar didn't move really. Hands out wide, even a slight bar movement side to side and my biceps and shoulders felt it heavy. Just something to think about.

I also noticed the I had a hell of a lot of meat on my rear delts I never knew I had once I started pulling my back into a low bar position. The bar does not move if you settle it right.

My experience. Hope it helps.

Edit: As I was rambling a bit here, let me clarify that since I have figured out how to settle the bar down low with my hands out wide so the bar doesn't move, I have not had trouble with my shoulders. So that was the point I was trying to make. If you can get into the low bar position with no pain, then you should be able to squat without trouble too as long as the bar is not moving around. If it hurts to get into low bar position, try the shoulder loosening stuff and try your hands out wider and keep forcing your elbows down and your chest open and up.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 01-03-2013 at 03:21 PM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook