Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,353,449, Level: 100 Points: 1,353,449, Level: 100 Points: 1,353,449, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Carbs and lifting

Giving this one in its own thread. It's the typical sort of nonsense that confuses lifters.

Quote:
It's not possible not to have carbs before weight lifting. You can't utilize your stored body fat for energy in such a short amount of time (during weight training session). You need the energy that carbs provide you with. You should consume carbs about an hour prior to lifting... How can you say "0 carbs" before workout?!

I made a remark that I don't eat carbs before lifting, and haven't for about 5 years now.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-26-2012 at 12:08 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,739, Level: 71 Points: 11,739, Level: 71 Points: 11,739, Level: 71
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

That shows a complete lack of understanding of how our energy systems function. When you lift you are using muscle glycogen. The type of lower rep, heavy lifting most of us do barely touches muscle glycogen reserves. After muscle and liver glycogen are topped off, any extra gets stored in fat cells, just like all extra calories we take in. It generally doesn't take more than 50g of carbs to replenish glycogen lost in a normal training session.

I've had some of my best lifting sessions while having not eaten carbs for 20+ hours.

Edit; even this is a vast oversimplification of how these things work. People just don't get that when you're talking about something this complicated, normal logic just doesn't apply.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295

Last edited by Soldier; 12-26-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Giving this one in its own thread. It's the typical sort of nonsense that confuses lifters.

I made a remark that I don't eat carbs before lifting, and haven't for about 5 years now.
An Oly based lifting book suggests Oly lifters (because it's Oly based, so just highlighting that ) draw on fat supplies for their lifts and that any lifter who feels fatigued during their session does not need more carbs but more fats in their diet.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 25,013, Level: 95 Points: 25,013, Level: 95 Points: 25,013, Level: 95
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

If I eat a ton of carbs before training, I lose a bunch of carbs, and fats and proteins during training.

I train fasted every time.

Seeking to be transformed, not conformed!

Become a disciple of the bar. - glwanabe

The Official Get Fit For The King Website

Yasen Miroslav Zavadil
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,398, Level: 67 Points: 10,398, Level: 67 Points: 10,398, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

To be fair this concept that you needs carbs before lifting is intuitive logic for the average lay person (such as myself).
However, the statement made by said average lay person (quoted above) is a perfect example of someone speaking on something which they have no real knowledge about and more importantly no real experience with. A common problem on the internet forums and in life in general.
Having recently trained carb free myself, I have learned that the idea that carbs are needed to fuel a workout is inaccurate. In my experience the first week was hard, but after that everything was firing on all cylinders. However, without that experience I believed that carbs were important preworkout.
Live and learn I guess.
"The fastest way to get strong muscles is also the fastest way to make them bigger. We know what works best to make them strong in the shortest time possible. If you want to get big, do the thing that makes them strong." - Marc Rippetoe
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.

Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,739, Level: 71 Points: 11,739, Level: 71 Points: 11,739, Level: 71
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

There's nothing wrong with not knowing stuff. The problem, like you said, is people who want to talk like they know about something when they obviously don't. Why the hell would you argue with someone when all you know is what your little brain was able to put together? None of us are that smart on our own. That why research exists.

Then again, a little broscience is always good for a little laugh.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I can tell you this, I've tried many different eating plans in my time. Most of them made very little difference in the long run outside of just simple calorie reduction for loss and increased calories for gains. Now I have adopted the moderate approach; if I want to gain, I eat more. If I want to lose, I eat less. I know, blasphemy.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 10,863, Level: 69 Points: 10,863, Level: 69 Points: 10,863, Level: 69
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Chocolate milk
My Mood: Buzzed
EliteDreams is an elite memberEliteDreams is an elite memberEliteDreams is an elite memberEliteDreams is an elite memberEliteDreams is an elite memberEliteDreams is an elite memberEliteDreams is an elite memberEliteDreams is an elite memberEliteDreams is an elite memberEliteDreams is an elite memberEliteDreams is an elite member

I'm with Off Road on this one. I very rarely comment about diets,eating and what not. I eat until I'm full,I lift,and I'm making gains. Reason why I don't give diet advice,is because I have none. I've only counted calories for 2 or 3 days,came out to be about 4k each time. Chicken,salsa,whole milk,green tea,donuts. This is just my lazy 2 cents,but unless your a competitive bodybuilder I see no need to fret over carbs vs fats.

At the same time,I've heard stories of powerlifters who's 3x3 became 5x5 when they dialed in their eating habits. Maybe all this talk just reinforced my laziness.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Trevor Ross
Trevor Ross
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheerful
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

I eat a meat based meal before I lift, and a meat and carb meal after.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook